You are here

Thanksgiving visit from OSD & her 4 kids

jam's picture

Hi all, I haven't been on in awhile but wanted to share with you the latest.

For years I put up with OSD treating me like a "charity bed & breakfast,lunch & dinner"!

For the first time in my 13 year marriage I feel I have won a major battle AND have the support of my dh.

back history - Every time OSD would come over, I am not only busy cooking and cleaning but stripping beds each morning, washing the bedding, putting fresh bedding back on the beds and then the next morning starting it all over again. Each morning OSD would simply act as if the sgkids had an accident. So when she left after a 4 day visit a couple months ago, I decided I had had enough. Talked with my dh and he assured me he would back me. On that last visit DH had witnessed me stripping the beds ALL 4 DAYS! OSD found that on her next visit I had laid out pull-ups for the kids to wear. She tried to push back but I was FIRM. The boys sgs9, sgs7, sgs3 will wear pull-ups while sleeping over in my home.

Fast forward to the last visit for Thanksgiving. OSD went through the usual back-n-forth bull with my dh that she does every year regarding the day I celebrate any holiday. She even had the same bs statement of "well I can't be at two places at once!" That's a whole other story. Anyway, a bit out of character for her, she comes over UN-announced. She lives 3 hours away and my dh just happened to call her the day before Thanksgiving and she tells him she is 45 min out & on her way to our house and will visit with us awhile and then leave & spend the nite at her bm's, then come back over to our house the next day and actually have Thanksgiving dinner with us at noon (as she had supposedly talked her mom into having a late dinner the evening of Thanksgiving) and then leave and go back to bm's to have Thanksgiving dinner that night and spend the nite again with her mom. DH calls me to relay what is going on. I was out shopping with my bio daughter. It is actually somewhat funny. My dh can't see it and I didn't point it out to him, but it seemed to me that OSD was punishing us because I wont allow the sgkis to pee pee my beds any longer, so she makes sure she comes to our house to show us that "They will not spend the nite!"

Okay, so when I get home OSD is there and they are all playing outside on our trampoline. My dh is holding the baby while OSD and the other 3 kids are playing. As I stand there next to my dh and my daughter I realize I had forgotten something at the grocery store. I quietly mention to my daughter that I had forgotten to get cream. Although it really wasn't a big deal my daughter asked me if I wanted her to run to the store and get some. I told her no, that we might go to the store after my dh leaves for work. DH works nights.

Later OSD comes in the house and tells me she overheard me tell my daughter that I needed cream and that she did not mind going to the store and would bring it in the morning. First I found it interesting that she had even heard me as she was playing on the trampoline. My dh was standing next to me and he didn't hear me. Anyway, I know my dh would not want his daughter going to the store with four kids to get cream. I indicated to her that it wasn't a big deal but she insisted. I left it at that.

Since my dh works nights, he likes to take a little nap before work but OSD was hanging around to the point my dh was not only not going to get a nap but needed to get ready to leave for work. DH says "hey, I gotta get ready for work" and he walks away. I needed to get some baking done that night in order to get ready for the next days dinner but I am waiting for OSD to leave and find out that she is waiting for her mom to get home from her job.

OSD leaves around the same time as my dh but not before sgs7 asked to spend the night. I was kind but told him no as my bio daughter was staying to help me do some baking and I really just wanted to be alone with her. OSD tells me she will be over the next morning around 10 or 11.

The next day I am busy cooking the Thanksgiving meal and everything is ready to sit down and eat when my dh gets a text from osd around noon saying that she is looking for cream and can not find any and will be over just as soon as she finds some. My dh is then angry at ME that his precious daughter is out with four kids trying to find cream. Yep! I feel set up. Later we find out that she was not only shopping for cream for me but cream and other ingredients for a dish for her bm. She actually put a sack full of the ingredients she had purchased for her mother, in my fridge. Although my dh never apologized for snapping at me, he later made a comment that OSD was late because she was shopping for HER mom and put the blame of being late to our dinner on us.

The story does not end there. A couple days later, my dh calls me on his way home from work and said there was an interesting exhibit in town that would be around for a couple weeks that he would like to take all the grand-kids(bio & steps)to. Said he called osd thinking she was home (3 hrs away) wanting to schedule a time in the future to take the kids and finds that she is still at her moms and would like to be taken to the exhibit that day. It is Saturday morning and I go to church that day and so can not attend. So dh ends up taking OSD and her four kids and then she wants to spend the night at our house. That evening, dh leaves for work and OSD and the sgkids are left with me. About an hour after my dh leaves for work OSD tells sgs9 & sgs7 to get their pj's on and get ready for bed. I then say "OSD, did you bring pull-ups or do I need to get some out?" Of course she had NOT brought any so I get up and head to my bedroom closet to get some. As I walk by her, sgs7 says "but mom, I thought you said I did not have to wear a pull-up!" She goes into her soft voice bs of "well sometimes we" I am now out of sight at this point and osd's tune totally changed and she snapped at sgs7 for saying anything in front of me. I come back and hand the two older kids a pull-up. (she actually had one for the 3 year old)

My plan is every single time they are spending the night I will ask "OSD! Did you bring pull-ups?"

Anyway, thanks for listening. It seems it is a never ending story when you are a stepmom.

Veritas's picture

Did you ever find out why DH snapped at you? I know he changed his tune later but I would love to know what makes many of them do this. Did he even listen to your explanation (if you gave him one)?

Glad to hear your plan is working with the pull ups!!

jam's picture

Oh, I gave my dh and explanation with a snap back reply of my own. He had stated that it was "crazy to ask osd to go to the store with 4 kids to pick up anything!" and he was angry that she was late and apparently was late because he thought I had asked her to go to the store. I let him know that I had not asked her to do ANYTHING. I really get tired of being blamed for their actions.

Veritas's picture

Oh it certainly gets old quick...each time this has happened to me, I just lost more respect for DH. Secured my ability to disengage, though, so something good came out of it LOL! The other thing I hate, not sure if this happens with you or not, is that even though I would tell DH how it wasn't my fault, I never felt really believed. I think that was the part that hurt the most at the time.

One time, SS went crying to DH about me and I guess DH told him to call me to talk. He called, I didn't answer but called him back the next day when I realized he had called me. He said he just wanted to let me know about an event that was taking place, blah blah blah....okay then. Later, I told DH that his son had called and that I had called him back. DH asked me how the talk went, I told him what was said about the event and he FREAKED OUT on me! Told me his son was uncomfortable with me and wanted to discuss this with me and that I SHOULD HAVE ENCOURAGED HIM TO TALK ABOUT IT. I said, talk about what?? This made no sense to me but DH explained that his son was upset with something I did (or didn't do) and that it was up to me to fix it. I asked why the SS didn't bring it up with me then if it was so concerning to him? DH didn't have an answer to that but was still upset with me over not being able to discern that SS had an issue with me even though no one told me and I was completely in the dark regarding any of it. This is also when I realized the narcissistic reindeer games being played by SS. This was a practice run Smile

jam's picture

It happens to me all the time. I don't feel my dh believes me but he sure jumps to believe anything the royal family says.

Also, as far as your ss telling his dad you make him uncomfortable. I have heard that one too. You ss is playing the poor victim card. What he really is saying is "dad, why don't you get rid of your wife who is so mean to me".

sandye21's picture

Oh yes, the old "SM makes me uncomfortable" B.S. I put up with this for years, plus other vague accusations from SD through DH. I finally asked him for specifics - just HOW detail did I make Sd uncomfortable or give her the feeling she was walking on glass. He looked at me with the blank stare of a deer in the headlights and could not come up with one thing. I can tell you one thing - if SD came to my home now I WOULD be making her uncomfortable!

Jam, You have given enough understanding accommodation to this rude woman. Next time DH tells you that you are making her uncomfortable let HIM wash the pissy sheets and fumigate the mattresses in the morning.

jam's picture

Hi Sandye. My OSD has never used the "SM makes me uncomfortable" B.S statement but my estranged ss has. It so angered me as ss had been estranged from us for 3 full years and then contacted my dh who invited him to Thanksgiving dinner last year. SS came to Thanksgiving after not seeing or talking to us in three years and then has the nerve to tell daddddy that I shunned him. In a later conversation he stated "dad, I really would like a relationship with you and would come over but jam makes me uncomfortable". TOTAL B.S!!!! So now he has not seen or talked to his dad since shortly after the "uncomfortable" statement.

What gets me is that I have put up with pissy sheets for years and FINALLY my dh realizes I am not being unreasonable. Since I have stood my ground I feel I have power. May sound strange but being allowed to stand up to princess osd made me stronger. The key word there was "allowed". Now, I feel powerful enough that the line in the sand is not only for OSD but my DH. I just can't believe that I put up with the wet beds for as long as I did.

sandye21's picture

Jam, Yes, the knowledge that you had the courage to stand up for yourself is wonderful, isn't it. SD had been treating me like decades, slamming doors in my face, treating me like I was a servant, invisible, making nasty comments, mumbled sideline conversations with hubby, and when she left DH told me I had made her feel uncomfortable. When I finally found the courage to put my foot down it was truly liberating. Now I practice mutual respect with everyone. SD has not set foot in our home for 7 years. DH created this situation so he will be the one who makes it possible for her to visit in our home.

Catsmom10's picture

I always heard "my children know you don't like them!!!". Yeah, no shit...who would like thieves and liars?

jam's picture

oh yeah! When discussing skids. Let's see....which card will dh throw down? "you hate my kids", you don't like my kids", "my kids know you don't like them", "my kids can feel that you don't want them around".

The last time my dh told me "you don't like my kids!" I replied "You throw down the "You don't like me kids" card frequently! DH paused and then said, "well, I guess my kids haven't given you a lot to like, have they?"

sandye21's picture

While DH was on the phone with SD after her meltdown, and had just told her, "You won;t be coming to visit for a while", he turned to me and blurted, "SD says she LIKES you!" I replied so that SD could hear me, "That's B.S. SD doesn't like me and I don't like her." Never heard it again.

jam's picture

How is it that your dh could witness your sd treating you so crappy, yet he believes her words over her actions? It seems that is a common problem for stepmoms.

sandye21's picture

Yes, it seems like DH's are completely blind when it comes to their Princesses, doesn't it? Somehow, when SD was treating me crappy it was a lot different to afterward when she treated HIM crappy. The old SM gas lighting, double standard dilemma. Now it is to the point where I don't care whether he acknowledges how crappy SD treated me - it's his problem, and his responsibility to change things if he wants to.

Catsmom10's picture

Yup. No one is blinder than he who will not see. I stepped out of it, said if I saw his kids shooting up in the gutter I'd just drive by and wouldn't even mention it to him because if I did, I'd hear "you're making up lies about my children because you HATE them". Lol. Lies...yeah. thank God we weren't living together. They only lied to him and stole from him.

Catsmom10's picture

Yeah, it was a given you'd pay for the whole "cream" thing in some way shape or form. I'd be mortified to allow my child (especially older ones!!) to pee in anyone's bed. Unreal. What's with these skids and bathroom issues?