Ahhhh

as123's picture

This is definitely a "First World Problem" situation, but I'm pretty upset. We bought all three of the kids Kindle Fire's for Christmas. Since then they've gone through THREE replacements because they've broken them. I finally decided that I wasn't going to let them use the one remaining kindle that I just had replaced this week. I figure if they can't appreciate and take care of the first three they don't get another shot.

I went to go use said Kindle this morning and it was missing from my bedside table where I left it. I look all over the house and find the youngest (SS12) looking at YouTube on the kindle. I told him that the new Kindle wasn't for them to use. His response was "but I want to." At this point I thought that I might get some backup from their dad, since I already made it clear that I didn't really want them using it. Alas, as per usual I received no back up. He just went out to our porch and finished his coffee.

My biggest complaint isn't that he's using the Kindle (although I'm not happy about that), but that he went into our bedroom without asking and then took the damn thing without asking as well. Is it really too much to ask that in a house with more rooms than they need that my fucking bedroom is the only off limits place? They don't even respect me enough to not go into my office and mess with things. I don't go into his bedroom and take stuff. I hate that I'm always put into the position of being the bad guy because I want to be respected.

Am I in the wrong on this? Any thoughts would be helpful.

oldone's picture

When he said "But I want to" you should have looked him in the eye and said "I'd like to wring your neck but I won't". or "Just because I want you to drop dead doesn't mean it's going to happen." }:)

as123's picture

Hahaha! As much as I'd LOVE to say something like that sometimes I don't know if it would help me win the popularity contest that is step parenting. I'll just say it in my head!

as123's picture

That's a good idea. I'll probably do something like that in the future. Though it'll be sad to have to lock everything up in my own house.

as123's picture

Fortunately it's not that bad in our house. They don't normally go in our room, this is the first (and hopefully last) time it's happened. I'm glad you figured out a good solution!

Endoftether1982's picture

You're not wrong at all. You should be able to have your bedroom completely off limits. A SERIOUS word with Dad is in order, I think....

as123's picture

Thanks. I honestly have had this conversation before. Every time one of the kids comes in our room without asking I ask them if they got permission. Their dad just smiles and lets them do whatever they please. I don't know if yet another conversation would be beneficial or if he'll just side with his "babies."

as123's picture

You're right, the problem is definitely with him. He was actually helping me look for it when I came across SS using it. When he hearde start questioning the kid about it he went back outside. When I went out there to tell him I found it he said that he heard, that's why he went back outside. When I told him my thoughts in it he said he agreed with me but then pulled he "well technically the last time the kindle broke want their fault" line so I just went back inside.

Onefootout's picture

Absolutely not, you're not wrong at all. Sorry your DH didnt back you up. That was not nice at all. In fact your DH's conduct concerns me much more than that of the spoiled brat.

I have problems keeping my SS16 out of my bedroom, but he goes in there to cling to his dad, not to steal things, fortunately.

I'd recommend getting a lock that allows you to lock the door from the outside. You may want to talk with DH and then the kids. You have a right to ban the kids from YOUR room, and keep them away from YOUR stuff. . And if DH disagrees too bad, just tell him his ageement is not required when it comes to your bedroom and your things. You are just putting him and the kids on notice of what your rules will be regarding your room and your belongings.

WarmBody's picture

Kid's wants do not trump parent's rules. It is that simple.

They are NOT our equals and need to know that. It is about respect and teaching kids manners.