You are here

Finally, a dose of their own medicine!

Esmerelda's picture

Just thought that some of you might enjoy this one.

We have a great dog, he's lovely, obedient, handsome, and loves his cuddles. We've been looking for a companion for him. After months and months of searching, we decided to give Pepper the labrador x a trial to see if she'll be a good fit for our home.

Pepper has been sweet, a bit traumatised from her past life, but ultimately a gentle enough dog. However, she's been trying to escape, doesn't obey you even though she understands what you're telling her and has a general "I don't give a shit" attitude. Its all related to her past life. The last week has consisted of round the clock supervision, feeding her, playing with her, cleaning up after her, establishing boundaries and she hasn't warmed towards us too much. Add to that the fact that she's a big dog, tearing up the lawn, digging holes, eating furniture and constantly trying to jump the fence. She wasn't becoming part of the family, she was just being a dog that lived here and needed looking after, which my SS agreed with. I was sort of just dealing with it, but it was exasperating my husband (who's two teenage kids live with us full time). And then it came to me...

ITS LIKE HAVING STEP-CHILDREN!! You bring them into your home, you give them shelter, food, love, look after their every need and they don't give you back the love, or affection, or appreciation that you're hoping to get out of them. They just eat your food, make a mess and break things in the house.

I sat back in bed having disclosed this wonderful analogy to hubby, and laughed an evil laugh.

realitycheckmom's picture

That is so perfect except with animals you can usually break through and they become loving and socialized. Skids, not so much!

realitycheckmom's picture

My stepfather says My this and My that all the time. It cracks me up because the house is my mothers that was willed to her from her brother and father, his name is not on it and he still calls it "my house". Ummm no asshole it really isn't. Just like when my mom's father died he said he had to go with my mom to settle the estate because he had to see what he got. Ummm no again, her family hates/d him and left him nothing but suddenly it is all his and not my moms. UGH!

sterlingsilver's picture

It's very hard to be a smom and unappreciated and it's less hard to be a mom and unappreciated - until all the kids get to be about 13 or so, then it gets overall just annoying. I have to think back to when I was growing up and even though I was in an intact family, there were times when I did not want to live at home, "hated" my parents and wanted another family. lol And it wasn't until I was about 18 and making my own money and so on that it started to sink in all that my parents were doing for me. Kids are by nature very selfish and not very giving of the appreciation, kind of like a new dog in the family. Yea, actually I like your analogy a lot! It fits and it's a nice little way for your hubby to see your point of view as a smom!