You are here

HELP - Dating Single Dad - Time Management and Freak Outs?

latergator's picture

Have been reading this forum since I started dating single dads, and really need some advice. Folks here seem very honest and helpful and I could use some help from the frontlines.

Have been with a new guy for 6 months and all was going well until recently. Single Dad, two DD, one 4 and 7. 50/50 Joint custody and ex lives a 5 minute walk away, and the arrangement seems as amicable as it could be (splitting costs and time, and no big fights etc). We had a whirlwind romance and really fell for each other, and he seemed to be everything I am looking for - smart, kind, loving, well educated, great job, and loves music. We spent a bunch of time together in the first few months. From the beginning, he said he wants to get married again, and would have another kid with a new partner. All things I want, and all amazing. Sounded like a perfect fit. We live about a 15 minute drive apart. I'm his first relationship post-divorce. We were seeing each other one weekend night, and often one weekday night, and sometimes for lunch in the week. 

A FEW WEEKS AGO - he started in on a bunch of worrying about the realities of buying a house together and splitting finances. We had our first "fight" which was really more of a discussion and I said look let's work at trying to integrate our lives and then we can talk about those things as we go along. We both make good money and the conversation seemed SUPER premature. A week later, he started saying how he was stressed out with having too much to do, and he did not have time to do special projects with the kids, or play in a band with friends. He admits he is very bad at planning and time management. He had a recent mistake at work (not at all his fault, and his boss was super helpful and supportive). I worked to be understanding and even helped him draw up a schedule with the hope of managing things better and said we should reduce our time together, but I wanted to speak daily. A few days ago he said he needed space and a break to handle kid and household stuff (birthday parties, taxes etc). I reluctantly agreed to it, but specified that I would only do it for a few weeks and then I would be off to dating other people. He said he felt overwhelmed and was not sure he can give me what he want, he needs a therapist, he is stressed out, he has bad time management, he doesn't want to risk losing me, his friends dropped him from his band, and was crying when he said this. It was like a set of word vomit, and I was totally confused and hurt. What do I do here? He seemed wonderful but now I am wondering whether this is just a freakout from someone new to the dating game who is just overwhelmed or is it a huge red flag. Please help. 

Survivingstephell's picture

I Don't think he is ready.  You are his "transition " partner.   The first after a divorce.  I say stay friends but look elsewhere for a spouse.  

latergator's picture

I really don't want to be a transition partner. That sucks. I appreciate this advice. 

Winterglow's picture

He is totally overwhelmed. He needs to sort his life out, get his priorities in order, and learn to manage his time. He is not nearly ready for a serious relationship. Do not allow yourself to be sucked in to help take the pressure off his shoulders. He needs to realize that he has two absolute priorities in his life (his kids and his job) and all the rest is optional (sorry!). Once he gets a handle on those he can start thinking about music and dating. 

latergator's picture

This hard to hear but I appreciate it. He was very clear early on about wanting a serious partner so this has me really depressed. 

la_dulce_vida's picture

I want to be skinny, but I'm not willing to put in the work to do it. People want a lot of things they are not prepared to make happen.

Finding love and companionship and sex after a failed relationship is thrilling. Then reality sets in. That's what you want to pay attention to. Someone with time management issues can only MANAGE their problem - they are rarely cured and if you try to help them manage it you will only grow resentful like you're wasting your time everything they stop using the plan you helped them create.

I'm sure things are complicated right now for him, BUT, I do think this is part of who he is. Can you deal with someone who cannot handle a relationship and single parenting and a job and his own hobbies very well? I don't see this changing.

la_dulce_vida's picture

Who, over the age of 40, doesn't have baggage. I think it's best to figure out which baggage coordinates well with your own set. LOL

Bee_kay's picture

How long has he been divorced? Maybe he is feeling guilty that he is spending a lot of time with you and he thinks he is neglecting his children. Maybe he realized the conversation you had was premature and he's trying to move slower. Consider giving him his space, while keeping your options open. You shouldn't have to wait around until he figures things out. 

notsurehowtodeal's picture

I was wondering this as well. In my mind, someone needs to be divorced a good year before they are really ready to start another serious relationship. He needs to figure out how to manage his life and his kids on his own before trying to integrate another person into his life.

latergator's picture

Thanks so much. We started dating after one year of divorce. I think he was trying to move a little too fast, which is why I was like - look slow down and let's just see how things go. I think he had been settling into managing the kids, but the school shutdowns during  took a big toll - there were many where we live. 

Rags's picture

The grief recovery cycle for a major loss, including divorce, is 2-4 years. Of course there are variences on how each person works through the grief cycle.  

I met my DW of 27+ years 38mos after my divorce was final.  We married 4 years after my divorce was final.  Though I did not recognize it at the time, I was still working through some residual stuff from my divorce.  I needed another 2-ish years to get to a place were I could be fully focused on my bride and our marriage. 

Fortuneately, my incredible bride was patient and worked with me on that phase.  If she had put me through what I put her through, I am not sure we would have worked.

I am truly blessed that she is brilliant and patient, and that I am capable of learning and changing.

JRI's picture

On ST, people often ask, has he done the work?  What they mean is, has he established a home the kids are comfortable coming to, does he act like a real father instead of Disney dad, does he have a workable relationship with BM.   If a man hasn't "done the work", it's hard for a new woman to come into the relationship.

It sounds like he's done a lot of the work but needs to work on the time management issues.  I'd throw this one back, you dont want to deal with these issues which are presently someone else's problem but would become yours.  Also, in my experience, people can always find the time to do what they really want to do.

Elea's picture

I don't have much to add, just one thing jumped out at me, I would never jump into living together with someone unless we had already had several decent fights. You need to see what kind of man he is when he is angry and how skilled he is in resolving  things. Some guys turn into a diffent person in a fight and this is not something you want to find out after you already moved in together and entangled your lives. 

ESMOD's picture

It sounds like he is struggling to make his life work the way he wants it to work.  He has a lot of competing parts.. his own wants.. like band.  The things he HAS to do.. like earn a living.. the primary OBLIGATION to care for his children.. and then there is the romantic desire to have a girlfriend.   

It's tough to have it all.. and to some extent what you may have seen as "instant chemistry".. may have more likely been the rush of pheremones and his year long absence from much intimacy driving things.. sometimes people rush past the red flags.. because they want something to work. it's exciting and new.

Now, that he has sobered from his love drunk phase.. he is seeing some real conflicts in his ability to have all he wants.  And, I'm sure that his band asking him to step back is making him question what he wants.. it hurts to be rejected like that.. and to an extent, he may blame himself for short changing them so he could spend more time with you.. not that you asked him to do that.. but it is what it is.

But, as an adult with REAL responsibilities.. is being in a band something he can really manage?  Is that something from his youth he needs to consider isn't realistic.. and maybe he needs to find another way to enjoy his music without actually performing with others like that?

And.. does he need to learn better time management.. note I said HE..you can't step in and fix this  by giving him a schedule.. he needs to figure this out.. and there are tons of ways he can do that.. counseling..self help books etc.. and he needs to want to do it. and be able to truly prioritize what has to be accomplished.

Maybe it is also now that the initial rush of newness.. you aren't really as compatible as you thougth?  Maybe he was pushing down more of his true self and he is tired of the charade?  maybe you have dropped some of your veil too.. and maybe what he sees is not as attractive as things were... 

I'm not saying that you are not pretty.. or nice.. but that you may not be what he needs or wants.. and isn't that what being in relationships is all about?  figuring out if this person is truly your match?

This is why it's important for people to not take life changing steps too quickly.. there are people on here who get pregnant and have kids within the first year.. how  could they have really known the person in that brief point of time?

So.. what I might do is tell him that you are fine with backing off a bit and giving him space to figure out what he wants... If both of you want to continue date each other.. make sure you have ground rules to whether that means you might also date others.. or not. 

If you just purely want to take a break.. I would make sure he knows that you may well date others.. he can't expect you to shrink wrap yourself while he figures himself out.

simifan's picture

Maybe I'm jaded, but I see this far differently. Whirlwind romance, talking about moving in together 6 months after you met, your first fight (about money), a pull back, then tears and love bombing when you place boundaries... all of this screams classic narc to me. 

If you continue to pursue this relationship, please tread very slowly and carefully. Otherwise, I see you here on the daily 6 months from now, complaining about how you moved in together & now he got fired from his job & is going to persue his band full time while you pay his bills & watch his kids. 

caninelover's picture

Too soon for him to get into a new relationship, and way too soon to buy a house and live together.  I think back off and move on.  At 4 and 7 his kids are his primary responsibility.  Don't let him make them your responsibility because you desire to help (fix?) him.

Evil4's picture

" I worked to be understanding and even helped him draw up a schedule with the hope of managing things better and said we should reduce our time together, but I wanted to speak daily."

Um, no. You stepped in to "rescue" him to the point of sacrificing what YOU want and need and offered to spend less time together. That doesn't sit well with me. Too often, potential SMs work to over prove that they are a cool GF and cool SM to be and sacrifice way too much. Slow way down and really ask yourself if seeing someone less often and being farther down on a man's list is OK with you. It's all very well and good to acknowledge that a man with kids has a huge responsibility but a man with kids wanting a relationship needs to have "done the work," including the emotional stuff, to be able to dad and partner at the same time. If a man with kids has not done the work, then he can't be emotionally available to you, all-in with you, or however you want to put it. This board is full of frustrated SMs who are in agony over not having their needs met as a partner and being gaslighted and told how selfish they are when they start to say something about not being happy. An SM does not have to sacrifice all of her needs and rescue a grown man in order to be a good partner/wife/SM/etc.  

Maybe I'm off-the-charts bitter, but I'm not buying your SO's sob story completely. I'd be really careful and question whether he manipulated you and went into sob-story mode to get you to do exactly what he wants: offer to sacrifice a need (spending less time together). If it were me (mind you, I've been through a ton in step-life and am bitter beyond words), I would toss this guy back. He's too damaged and hasn't done the work. Instead of rescuing him and wondering what HE needs, stop, take a breather and ask yourself what YOU want in a relationship. It's been only 6 months. You don't owe this guy anything. Toss him back. Maybe remain platonic friends and if you're both still single after he's done the work, especially the emotional labour, you can revisit dating if you're still interested.  

Stepdrama2020's picture

I agree with all the above comments.

I would continue to date just not him. 

Seems you want more but he has reconsidered. Everyone has the right to change their mind, at least he was being honest ( or hope that is the case)

Who knows maybe ex and/or the skids started getting harder on him? Sometimes amicable exes become "jealous" when they see the other move on.

Blessings

ESMOD's picture

And.. he could also be reeling a little because a few of his balls fell to the floor at the same time for him.

he messed up at work.. he got kicked out of the band.

and.. maybe.. he unfortunately for you .. realised that the passion for your relationship isn't what he thought it would be.  It may be cold feet.. he may just not be that into you... he may be dealing with some losses in an unhealthy way.

BUT.. none of this is for YOU to fix.  Don't make him schedules.. he is agrown man.. if that is what he needs to do to get himself in order.. then he needs to do it.  if he ASKS for help in learning a skill.. that's one thing.. but stop volunteering the fixes.

I would take a break.. and honestly.. if the relationship was as in depth as you say.. you shouldn't really be all that ready to dive back into the relationship pool in a week or two.  I would take some time to reflect on what YOU want and need from a relationship too.. and examine what drew you to this guy.. and what red flags you ignored by jumping headfirst into this with him because he was on the surface telling you he was what you wanted.. when the reality is he was less SHOWING you that.

Stepdrama2020's picture

I re read and it seems the job and the band were affected at the same time. 

Seems like maybe the BF figured he needed to lighten his load and unfortunately OP you are the easiest thing to remove. I am not saying this is a mean way, so dont take my comment wrong. He needs his job, he has priorities with the kids right now. His social life is the part he can change.

Find someone at a place where YOU are a priority in their world. You deserve that.

latergator's picture

These are all super helpful comments. I am at work but will read them all thoroughly this evening. Want to clarify something though - we were NOT talking about moving in together at all. NOT AT ALL. He was mentioning down the road that house/apt prices are very high in our area and that that was a concern of his. The "Fight" was a discussion about that, but it was a way down down the road scenario, and I kept telling him that. I would NEVER move in with someone in 6 months. Way too soon. 

latergator's picture

Thanks to all who commented here. I appreciate your insight and honesty and you have given me a lot to think about. So we have been on a "break" for two weeks and we are supposed to speak this weekend. I have not spoken to him or texted him at all except to set a time and place for us to catch up in person. The whole situation has been upsetting and very depressing as I had high hopes for this one. I am really not sure what to do. One part of me wants to break up and just give myself time to recover, reset and rethink things before moving back into the dating pool. I am worried that he chose a break as the way to handle his stress, that I am a transition relationship and that he does not have the life skills/emotional maturity to handle all of these responsibilities at once. He said that once he and his ex-wife had kids, they barely spent any time together, and that distance was one of the causes of the split. He knows he needs a therapist but has been dragging his feet because his insurance doesn't cover many sessions.  The other part of me thinks we are compatible in terms of personality, interests and values. Some friends say that I should suggest dialing it back for a few months so that we do not see each other as much but stay in the relationship. An older friend who was a single parent stressed that she really remembered that feeling of being overwhelmed, and that everyone deserves a second chance. Am curious about what you all think. I really don't want to waste my time, but I really don't want to do something I will regret. I am so tired of dating, and I was very hopeful here.

Rags's picture

Unknw

How confident are you that the SO will effectively deliver on all of the things that are at issue?

Merry's picture

I don't think there is a perfect answer here or a simple solution. All the compatibility in the world won't salvage a relationship if there are other things in the way.

You've identified some of the issues: he's overwhelmed, he might be immature, he has an excuse for not seeing a therapist. One other thing -- he and his exwife handled things by distancing themselves. That's what he's doing now too, so is that HIS way of coping? Something learned that he needs to unlearn?

What do YOU need to be happy? That's your starting point. If you think you can find happiness with this guy, what needs to change to address the issues at hand? One thing for sure I'd insist on is starting therapy. Three sessions under his health insurance is better than none, and sometimes there is a way to extend the number of sessions based on varying diagnoses. And if he's making decent money, why isn't he willing to pay out of pocket for something so important? Maybe this is a convenient excuse because engaging in therapy means committing to hard work.

He might tell you he's willing to do the work, but words are cheap. You will (or won't) see evidence over time. If he won't make changes now, early in your relationship, he surely won't do it later: "when the kids are older" or "when work settles down" or "when the new band is on its feet" or "insert excuse here."

EvieLou's picture

Just to echo what a lot of others are saying - take a step back and put yourself first.  No reason you can't remain friends for the time being but no reason to put your own life on hold either (and I would make that clear to him).  His children are still young so all these pressures aren't going anywhere anytime soon.  Bear that in mind and think about what YOU need etc.

Good luck