You are here

I don't know if I'm being overly negative.. Help

ColdFeet's picture

First off I'll start by saying I do love my partner he is the best man I've met to date. I cannot think of any else before him that has been as good as he has to me. He's they only man I've brought to meet my family and that says a lot at 30yrs old.

I'm a year in and have not really have any meaningful involvement with his two kids. I feel that I may end up feeling restricted as the relationship progresses.

1.He says he needs to be in a better position financially for us to have our own kids on top of him having to support two. I agree, it's a responsible thing to say but I'm now 30 and feel that the clock is ticking I don't want to wait too long, I dont think his 3/4 year time frame is fair. I don't know if I can stand 3/4 years around his kids that are basically the reason I can't have my own. Is that bad?

2. He is thinking to have his oldest son live with him when he leaves school at 16. Nothing is set in stone, the kid is 14 now but I'm Not really keen on this to be honest. I would like to think that in two years we are thinking of living together, his current flat is too small for 3ppl full time and a forth weekend visitor. When would I get a moment to myself??

3.Leading on from the above we could then get a new place together. But should I have to fork out 50/50 for somewhere bigger to fit his children on top of the child I want to have of my own? I dnt think so. Yes he could fork out the majority or all but I'd probably just end up feeling like the guest. Is there another solution?

4. Leading on from point 2. I like my own space and time. He currently has his kids every weekend as a set rule unless something comes up on either side of the parents. I really wish it was every other weekend so I had some of that quality time with my partner which wasn't restricted to week day evenings. I think it should be an even balance of shared weekends & weekdays so neither parent is seen as just the fun weekend parent or the annoying school run and early bedtime parent, but what do I know. Anyway If we were to live together this could be hard for me. I think I'd end up running off to my parents every weekend or just being anywhere but home. Sounds bad I know but i can't really come along and ask him to change his routine can I?

*side note: I still live at home with my mum and two brothers. yes I know I'm 30 and at home but this is very common now, I don't have many friends who actually have their own place, those that do are living pay cheque to pay cheque. It's so expensive to get a place in London so I'm happy to be here with my single mum and save more so I don't have to rent until I move in with someone I have a solid future with. So as you can imagine going from this comfort to a house full of someone else's kids is daunting. I'd like a little time to have the couple lifestyle before having to live with two other strangers (SKs)

Okay I'm done ranting for now I'm. Jst in a place now where I'm questioning if I should stay in this relationship and risk getting too deep, I feel quite deep as it is due to the love I have for my partner..i just needed to vent to people who understand. Your comments/advice are all welcome.

CANYOUHELP's picture

Kind lady, you can do better than this....he is living for his kids, they come first, (everything about them from where they live to who he supports financially), and this is NOT a partner. Your interests matter, including having children, if you like. And, you are right the clock is ticking, no guarantee he will ever WANT a child with you...you cannot waste time hoping he might, with your clock ticking.

Do no let him put your life on hold....

If you lived together, this situation would not improve in time; this man is enmeshed with kids, not you...THEY are why he makes future decisions.

That, would not make any woman happy.....

hereiam's picture

This does not sound like the man or the life for you. Find someone with whom you can build a life together, not someone who's life you have to try to fit into.

SMforever's picture

Sadly, when a man tells you he doesn't want more kids because he can't support them, then you have to listen to that. At least he is being honest with you.

Disagreeing with this, and insisting on all the thiings you want is unrealistic. This is not what he offers. He is a package along with his kids and they are a responsibility he cannot just drop to start another family with you.

As others have said, decide what you want and then find someone who offers that. Just because your current BF ticks some boxes for you, no amount of magical wishing is going to change the fact he cannot,give you what you want.

ColdFeet's picture

At 16 we leave secondary school then you can start to work or go onto college for two years and then after that university if you choose.

The main reason i think he wants that is because he thinks the bio mother is not a good enough mother. If that was truly the case on terms of neglect he would have taken him in years ago so I personally think it's a F you to the mother as they don't have a gd co-parenting relationship.

Disneyfan's picture

This man does sound like a good guy.

He is working, has his own apartment and is helping to support his children.
He is being open and honest with you.
He is making a responsible by choice by not having more kids than he can afford to support.

I find it interesting that the OP would have an issue with the man's 16 year old living in his home, but she's a 30 year old who still lives with her parents. :?

TwoOfUs's picture

You are not being overly negative.

I married my DH at 30 and have no bio children...despite him claiming that he really wanted more before we were married. It was never the right time, never enough money...something always came up for one of the 3 kids he already has.

It sucks majorly watching your partner enjoy his kids and pay for his kids (or, in some cases, you pitching in to pay for things for them) while never being able to "afford" kids of your own. Don't do it. You WILL start to resent his children, whether you want to or not...and then he will resent you for resenting his kids. None of it is worth it.

ETexasMom's picture

Another thing to consider is that at any moment both kids could live with you full time. What if something happened to BM? Are you prepared to have two full time kids?

ColdFeet's picture

I hear you. But I don't think it's a nerve because it's not about the child it's about what living arrangements I want.

I stated my mum is single.. Maybe if my mum remarried maybe I wouldn't be at home at 30:)

Disneyfan's picture

Are your brothers also adults? If so, did you ever stop to think that the 3 of you living at home may have something to do with her being single?

It's possible that your BF may be more than happy to have his kids live with him as long as they need/want to. He may perfer to date than actually live with or marry someone.

notarelative's picture

He is thinking to have his oldest son live with him when he leaves school at 16.

Son will be leaving school. Is he finished with school at that point or is he planning to drop out? Is there a plan for getting this kid to adulthood? Or is the dad so thrilled at the thought of the son leaving the mom and moving in with him that the kid will sit on the couch all day online gaming?

He has two children. Is he expecting the other to move in at 16 also?

ColdFeet's picture

I don't think there is a plan to be honest.

The other child is from a different mother and too young to think that far ahead.

ColdFeet's picture

NOT SURE HOW TO EDIT MY ORIGINAL POST.. IS THAT POSSIBLE??

I wasn't clear..He does want more children with me but he'd want to be in a better position financially

Thanks for all the comments so far I welcome them all whether I agree or not Smile
X

TwoOfUs's picture

This was always my DH's excuse, too. Desperately wanted more kids with me...our kids would be so cute...little dark-haired beauties just like me! It was just never the right time, somehow. Never enough money. I mean...SS NEEDS a million designer shirts and then all three of the kids NEED their own personal car that we insure for a year...these things add up.

Please trust me. He is not likely to want more kids with you once his finances do free up a bit and the kids are older. Maybe he will...but I doubt it.

Disneyfan's picture

There may never be a good time, but there are bad times to have a child.

If having a child results in you running to social services to help support that child, then it wasn't a good time to have one.

TwoOfUs's picture

If only the same were true of skids. I am launching semi-adult skids...and have no expectations that they'll care for me when I'm aging...lol.

ColdFeet's picture

Basically.

Also rent prices in London are 180% HIGHER than in Manhattan.. In don't think people state side realise how expensive London is to live. Let's not even talk about the cost of cars, public transport and life in general compared to the average wage lol

Disneyfan's picture

I live in a gentrified section of NYC. I understand how expensive it can be.

Everything you are posting makes your BF's view on having his son live with him sound reasonable. If a 30 year old can't live in your area on her own, how the heck do you expect a 16 year old to do so?

Disneyfan's picture

It's common in some cultures here as well. However, I have never heard of anyone who had the option of living with their parents (WHILE WORKING AND PAYING THEM RENT)complain about others doing the same.

The man may want to help his son, in the same manner that her mother has helped her.

ColdFeet's picture

Ermmm no lol. It would be the SAME if I moved out of my single mums house to live with my dad who has a new partner. But thats not what I did hun.

Not quite the same as staying in the household you were raised, keeping your aging single mother company. SMH some of you are sooo short sighted. Entertaining tho.

ChiefGrownup's picture

You are wise to think of all these practical things before getting in too deep with this man. All these things really are important. And they become more important the longer you live them.

This is not the right man for you. At 30 you should have no trouble finding a childless partner who will be glad to start from scratch with you.

Having said all that, do rethink your commitment to living at your mom's house until you get engaged. You will go through so much personal growth if you get truly independent. Yes, London is expensive but after ten years of adulthood without ever paying rent you should have enough saved up by now to put down a substantial deposit on a decent place.

ColdFeet's picture

Yes dear. Mooch mooch mooch.

I have this plan right.. So basically once I get in his house (no kids of course) I'll spend the first day or so out in his 500 acres of land (it's not a lot of know but that will do for now) and I'll put on my favourite dress & heels and go picking from his money trees.

Not sure what I should buy first tho.. Maybe a unicorn that dumps chocolate? Or a Swan that cleans up after me? What you think

Bliss!!!!
X

ColdFeet's picture

Most definitely.

I would not leave it until engagement that would be too long. But after two years of a solid relationship definitely. Like I said I haven't dated anyone I would consider moving in before.

FYI not sure where these mooching comments come from (not from you) but I pay my mum rent which is not a problem. My mum is no sucka Lool and I wouldn't be so rude to not contribute. I was raised well Biggrin

X

ColdFeet's picture

I agree with you 100%

Ive always had a rule to not date anyone with children but I went against that rule as he is a great man but you're right there is a lot of hurt that it brings.

As for the the living thing I hear you also!
X

ChiefGrownup's picture

I'm glad to hear you pay rent to your mom. That's great. It's still very different from being completely responsible for the place and yourself, though. Knowing what it's like to have your name on the lease and the light bill etc will actually help you be a better judge of men, too. You will notice the red flags faster.

But best of luck to you. I don't think this guy is the guy for you. I think you can go find yourself a younger bloke who does not have to compartmentalize his life to fit you into it.

ColdFeet's picture

The big thing for me is not really the age I have a baby because if I leave him I will not have a baby any sooner! Im not "ready" rigt now anyway.

Marriage has been spoken about because he wants to do the right things this time around. I totally respect that and is very smart however its more the fact that he has never mentioned having his children full-time until now which I only found out by chance it wasnt a planned discussion.

Up until now he has always emphasized the "fact" there will probably be more of a relationship with his youngest because his oldest will be a young man by time we went further when ive expressed my concerns about how he can manage our relationship and possibly another child in the future on top of his two & his career.

If he mentioned that when we met almost two years ago I probably wouldn't have taken the relationship this far. Or maybe if we met and he already had his kid with him then that would've been different as thats the situation I walked in to. I made it clear to him that Ive always had a rule to not date a man with kids so its quite disappointing that he didnt feel to bring this up.

Going from a weekend dad to a fulltime dad of a teenager will bring a whole new dimension neither of them has experienced. The years of hormones and bad attitude just becasue..doesnt sound fun to me. I personally think he should have taken over years ago rather than wait if he has a problem with how the mother has raised him.

ColdFeet's picture

The big thing for me is not really the age I have a baby because if I leave him I will not have a baby any sooner! Im not "ready" rigt now anyway.

Marriage has been spoken about because he wants to do the right things this time around. I totally respect that and is very smart however its more the fact that he has never mentioned having his children full-time until now which I only found out by chance it wasnt a planned discussion.

Up until now he has always emphasized the "fact" there will probably be more of a relationship with his youngest because his oldest will be a young man by time we went further when ive expressed my concerns about how he can manage our relationship and possibly another child in the future on top of his two & his career.

If he mentioned that when we met almost two years ago I probably wouldn't have taken the relationship this far. Or maybe if we met and he already had his kid with him then that would've been different as thats the situation I walked in to. I made it clear to him that Ive always had a rule to not date a man with kids so its quite disappointing that he didnt feel to bring this up.

Going from a weekend dad to a fulltime dad of a teenager will bring a whole new dimension neither of them has experienced. The years of hormones and bad attitude just becasue..doesnt sound fun to me. I personally think he should have taken over years ago rather than wait if he has a problem with how the mother has raised him.

Loxy's picture

Let me tell you my story as a warning. I got together with DH at the age of 29 – skids were both in nappies at this point. I was up-front with DH in the beginning that if he wasn’t willing to have more kids then we weren’t going anyway – he told me at the time he would love to have kids with me.

Fast forward a few years after and just after we got married he tells me he’s changed his mind and doesn’t want any more kids. We spent the next two years fighting about this until I made it clear that this was a deal breaker for me so he had to make a choice – either we tried for a baby or I walked. DH didn’t want to lose me so he agreed try for a child.

That was 6 years ago now and due to infertility issues I remain childless. As I turn 40 this year it’s highly likely I will remain childless and I don’t know if our relationship will be able to withstand that outcome.

I’m a bundle of rage about the fact that he changed his mind and delayed trying for a baby for years – and those years could have made the difference in my case between having a child or not given my issues is egg quality which obviously declines with age. I’m angry about wasting some of the best years of my life raising someone else’s kids and I’m angry about the fact that if I am unable to have my own child I still can’t have the life (ie freedom etc) of someone who doesn’t have kids thanks to the skids.

Notwithstanding the kid’s issue, you sound very unsure as a whole. So my advice to you – don’t sacrifice your life for someone else’s kids as you will regret it! Being a step-parent is the hardest and most horrible job in the world and brings with it a whole bucket full of resentment. If you add in personal sacrifices like not having your own kids into the equation you will end up with enormous regret and bitterness.

ColdFeet's picture

Oh wow Loxy I’m so sorry my heart breaks for you. Everything you mention is my biggest fear in this relationship. I too have mentioned it’s a deal break to not have children. Before meeting me he didn’t want children and he said he changed his mind after meeting me..he could change his mind again after marrying me too. Its a big risk. I feel we are very similar in our situations. I was 28 when I met him he is 6 years older.

I believe every word you say that being a step parent is a hard and unrewarding job on so many levels. Breaking up with him will be the hardest thing ever but I’m sure this heartache doesn’t compare to looking back with regrets and forward with resentment/bitterness. Love is great but I guess it isn’t always enough.

I hope you get your baby, I really do x

Steptococcal's picture

Dear ColdFeet,

Listen to your feet. They're trying to tell you something important - something that needs to be honoured.

Take it from someone who ignored the niggles and is now paying dearly - LISTEN. Listen and watch for as long as you need to for those feet to feel all warm and ready to roll! Smile

ColdFeet's picture

Lol I know the name says it all right! Its soooooooo hard to walk away from someone you love and someone that loves you just as much if not harder, all because of external factors. If he didn’t have children he would literally be perfect. Life hey. *sighs*

I am a big believer in gut instinct, it has never failed me to this date. I just need to pluck up the courage sooner than later!

Steptococcal's picture

I hear you ColdFeet! It is sooooooo hard and I rationalized so much for love but that gut of yours is saying something important. I didn't listen but you can. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to cut and run but PLEASE PLEASE honour the uneasiness about this situation and don't lock into anything until a win/win has been struck. Marriage is challenging. Being a second wife and SM asks so much of us - of our hearts. PLEASE don't sign up until you're both completely on board with the truth of the matter. I overlooked so much and hung onto snippets of agreement that didn't materialize. It's too much of a heart investment and we want to believe everything will work out but there's too much at stake, including young impressionable lives. Trust that gut. She knows what's important and what's at stake here.