You are here

Just tired of it

Justaboutgone's picture

I can't have kids. I came to accept it and deal with questions and comments about it. I have dated men with kids but it never got serious. My best friend and I lived together and her two kids. It was awesome and her kids were well behaved and kind. I met my current boyfriend, who has two boys who happen to be the same ages as my nephews! I thought it would be good and that it would be a chance to have the family unit that I thought I wouldn't have.

Boy was I wrong! Almost immediately the oldest ss10 was hateful and rude. Our first outing shopping he repeatedly told me not to spend all his dads money and asked if we had to go everywhere I wanted to go. (I have a career and make good money, I don't ask my boyfriend to buy me things)

I thought it would get better. It hasn't with ss10. Ss8 was a handful at first but has warmed up to me, we have a mutual respect for each other and I would classify our relationship as good. Ss10 on the other hand gets progressively worse every visit. He does things because he knows he's irritating me.

In the year that I've lived with my bf, the sk's mom has never once talked to me or even had introductions. The sks show up in dirty smelly clothes, soiled underwear, brown socks that were originally white. Ss10 will not eat anything that's not a corn dog or ramen, yet I constantly find him chewing on random things off the floor (plastic bottle caps, a spool of thread, you name it) he claims he has "texture issues" and the home cooked food I make is "disgusting". Ss8 loves the food I cook. 

ss10 gets up in the middle of the night and tries to get into stuff (chewy vitamins, multiple bottles of water, anything that's not real food) he picked the fake leather off the arm of the couch about the size of a basketball. He hits his brother and starts fights for no reason. 

My bf is disconnected and doesn't seem to care what they do when they're here. He doesn't make them clean up after themselves. He doesn't hold them accountable for their actions. I do. I bought them a nice Christmas last year and have their tablets on my account. So when they're out of hand I turn off their tablets for an hour. Ss10 cries the fakest sobs ever.

I guess I just don't know how much more of ss10 I can take. He is smart. He gets good grades. But he acts like a 3 year old. I don't get it! I could go on but this is so long. I just don't know how to get through to him and I'm at the point I want to disengage completely and stop financially providing all the entertainment in the house for an ungrateful horrible human being. 

tog redux's picture

Why are you parenting while your BF sits around doing ... what? They are his kids. It's not your job to take over their parenting, and as you can see, it doesn't work.

SS10 has two parents who are neglecting him, emotionally and physically, and you wonder why he's got behavioral issues?

You can't jump into a stepfamily and make it the family you can't have - please dump this lazy boyfriend and adopt a child.   Then you can parent them how you want without interference from their two lazy bio parents.

Justaboutgone's picture

That was very real no fluff. I completely agree with you on that. I was emotional when I wrote this from staying up all night to keep SS10 out of everything while his dad slept peacefully. I appreciate the honesty. I needed that. Thanks. I'm going to make changes for sure. The only hard part is exactly what you said. Neglect. I have reported the mother to CPS. The school has as well. They haven't done anything. I don't want these kids to wind up this way forever. 

tog redux's picture

Your BF is neglecting him too, by having you do everything while he does nothing. The boy needs his Dad, not Dad's new GF, to be there for him. 

Sorry, didn't mean to be too harsh, but I don't understand why so many women take over parenting for their husbands and boyfriends, and why so many men feel entitled to it. If you want to help, fine - but he should do the lion's share of parenting. 

Justaboutgone's picture

I'm a very direct person and I don't think it seemed harsh at all. I appreciate people being straight forward and calling me on my trash. I hate when people beat around the bush.

yes I have decided today that I have to disengage for myself. I am on call on the weekends they are here, so I will be spending more time at work for now. Yes I know that's not dealing with it head on. I need to gather my thoughts and make sure I am 100% firm when I talk to my boyfriend about him taking care of his kids. The mother I can't do much about. 

hereiam's picture

I guess I just don't know how much more of ss10 I can take

Let me re-phrase that for you. "I don't know how much of this boyfriend I can take."

The SS10 has problems, yes, but your BF is the problem.

simifan's picture

^^^

So much this. You have an SO problem.

Justaboutgone's picture

That's true and I agree. I'm not defending my bf. I know he is part of the problem but this kid goes out of his way to be mean and rude. I am over the bf. It's not attractive to be a shitty parent. 

Rags's picture

It isn't SS-10 you should consider not "taking", it is the idiot father.  This crap with SS-10 should not be an issue. Your idiot SO should h ave applied his foot to that toxic spawn's backside the first time he pulled his shit.

As for his dietary crap... he eats what he is served or he starves. He will make it a day at most.  Then he will eat anythign you put in front of him.

Consider the source of this crap. And I am not talking about BM.

Save yourself!