You are here

Struggling with sleep

Littlepix117's picture

I have come on to hear to get some advice and see if I am being unreasonable or not! My partner has a 4 yr old and has been separated from his wife for 2 years. I first met his daughter a year ago and we get on very well and I know she loves me. He has her 2 nights/3 days per week generally - at first he was living in a small one bed flat and having her there to stay and I would stay over some of that time too. However, 6 months ago, he moved into my one bed flat as we are saving to get a bigger house together and things would have been progressing more quickly if it hadn't been for coronavirus! As it stands, when his daughter stays, it is on a bed in our bedroom, next to his side of the bed - it isn't possible to have her anywhere else. It isn't ideal, but i could live with it, but as this temporary solution is now becoming longer, I am struggling. The issue is sleep. Several months ago, there wasn't so much of an issue and it didn't happen so frequently, but it has now become that every night she is with us, his daughter wakes in the night wanting attention - she can't find her teddy, she is too hot, she wants to hold her dad's hand. This can happen 2 or 3 times per night, but it is guaranteed to happen. I am a light sleeper anyway, but with constant disturbances, I end up losing most of my sleep. These also tend to be weeknights so I have to get up and function at work the next day (my partner is always off as he works shifts). Is this normal for a 4 yr old wake every night? I don't recall myself or my brother doing this at all! And friends who do have children don't seem to think it is that normal. My partner used to then let her come in our bed, which would end up with me getting out and going on the sofa as there wasn't enough room and his daughter kicks and thrashes a lot! He hadn't discussed this with me beforehand, so it made me quite upset and angry, and so he agreed to not let her come in bed any more and she got weaned off this a few weeks ago. Now he has to hug her or get in her bed until she is asleep again. However, the waking continues. I'd been doing some reading and wondered if it was anything to do with bedtime attachment anxiety. My partner always stays with his daughter until she is fast asleep at bedtimed - she refuses to go to sleep otherwise, and if she isn't quite asleep and he leaves, she will scream and cry until he goes back. So I don't know if she isn't capable of getting herself back to sleep on her own. He does baby her quite a bit and she is quite needy day to day, so this might all link.

I am writing this at 5am having been woken up at 2am so not in the best state of mind, but could anyone advise? Is this normal? Is there a good way to help control this? I also don't really know how to bring it up with my partner. He gets quite defensive over anything to do with his daughter, and he sleeps like a log so he isn't that bothered. Plus it is his own daughter and I think he forgets she isn't mine so I don't feel quite the same. He also thinks it is great she only woke a couple of times each night, and when I say how tired I am, it doesn't really sink in. I really want to make this work, but I am getting to where I don't know what to do.

Kes's picture

This kind of thing can be solved reasonably quickly - provided and it is a big but - the person handling it is very firm.  I had this issue with my daughter at about the same age - in her case she had been ill and I had been sitting with her until she fell asleep - but when she got better she refused to sleep without me sitting in the chair next to her bed. 

Every time I made a move to get up out the chair she'd wake and would demand that I sit back down!  In the end I said no - I'm going - I started off by going back in every few minutes - reassure her (as she was crying) then leave again straight away.  It took about 4 days I think, to wean her off it - and every night I'd have to go in less times.   There are plenty of articles online about this kinds of method of handling "behavioural" type sleep problems - but in essence it all comes down to the same thing.  

justmakingthebest's picture

Honestly yes, in the sleeping situation that you have - Daddy is too accessible. If she had her own room, it would not be this bad AS LONG AS HE HELD TO HER SLEEPING THERE.

You guys are in a crap situation. You need to live in the small place in order to save to get the one you want. It is a sacrifice. 

I would look into ear plugs. Also melatonin gummies at night for SD. It might be just enough to help her stay asleep for the night. 

Kee-khe's picture

Wtf, he would make you go sleep in the couch so his little brat could sleep with Daddy? Fuck no. Make them sleep on the floor if he's gonna be spoiling his kid like that. You should not be bothered thanks to them.

justmakingthebest's picture

It is hard to not "spoil" if you are just trying to get get a 4 yr old to go back to sleep when they are on a bed right next to you. Unfortunately, OP said there isn't anywhere else to put her right now. They are just stuck until they can get the child her own space.

Kee-khe's picture

If that was the deal, op never should have been woken up and asked to leave the bed so this guy could "allow the child to get into bed with him". That is disconsiderate on his behalf. He could have easily set some blankets and pillows somewhere on the floor and laid with her there without having to kick op off the bed. 

futurestepmomnowstepgf's picture

when my bf still had rights to BM's oldest child. The child was also 4, she had her own room (well shared with her sister bf's daughter), but it was almost every night in the middle of the night for the last few months she was in our lives she would wake up several times, crying in her bed because she wanted attention or coming out to our bed and then crying because she wanted to sleep with daddy and I was threre.

In our situation BM had the children still sleeping with her at night so that didn't help us. As we had two places, I started staying at my place more beause I am a light sleeper also and it was effecting my sleep especially during the work week. Unfortunately, I do not have any advice other than your DH needing to not hold his child till she falls asleep and learning to tell her no, even if it comes to him taking her out into the other room and having her fall asleep on the couch or bringing her bed to the living room when she wakes in the middle of the night. I remember how awful all that was and guiltily makes me slightly happy she is no longer in our lives anymore because it sucked, but at least I had my place to run to. 

Rags's picture

Aerobed under the dining table.  End of problem.  4yos sleep in their own bed in their own space.  Tolerate nothing less.