You are here

HELP! DH and I are not speaking and marriage is failing fast

denmatsg's picture

Hello fellow steps. This is my first time here. I am so exhausted and scared that my marriage is going to fail.Just got back from another visit with SD ans SS and as usual DH and i are fighting. (SKʻs live out of state) We have been married almost 2 years. I love him more than I ever thought was possible to love someone. BUT... we have issues around parenting. He has A 31 yo son from one marriage and a 17 yo daughter from another. I know he loves both children but he favors SD BIG TIME!!! SS has even said that he resented her growing up because he felt his dad only cared about her. And till this day when he sometimes refers to his children SS is an afterthought. THere have been times where Iʻve had to remind him he has TWO children. His response is always, "its different. SS is an adult. SD is still a kid" However SS would say it has always been this way ever since she was born. Over the years we have had many issues with SD behavior. There was lying, terrible grades, promiscuity, manipulations, legal issues, drugs and alcohol, school suspensions etc. She has improved a lot over the past year, but I believe its because she has a boyfriend that helps keep her out of trouble now. Back when these crazy behaviors were taking place I developed huge resentment because he didnʻt parent her. If she showed up to see us with hickeys on her neck and 17 missing asignments on athletic probabtion and a D average the first thing we would do is buy expensive tickets to take her to Disneyland and take her shopping for clothes and shoes. I have two boys who are with us full time and he has NO problems disciplining them. I am actually thankful for that. But at the same time when he practically rewarded her and placed her on a pedestal even if she clearly didnʻt deserve any reward i felt blatant unfairness. He would put her needs over my boys. On one vacation the boys went in the pool and went and got themselves towels before the towel cabana closed. well when they came out their towels had been taken by SD. his response was "shes a girl. shes cold. i took the boys towel  and draped it over her DRY body" while my boys are soaking wet and theyʻre only 10 and 12. He told them theyre big boys and could go get themselves new towels. we had a HUGE fight over that on our vacation. On many visits we would have to make special extra trips and spend lots of money on fancy restaurants because she didnʻt like the food at where we were at. And she ALWAYS has to be all up and all over him. The physical affection is disturbing. She caresses his face and runs her fingers through his hair like I do to him. She used to sit on his lap. People have even mistaken them for a couple. He even admitted that she never did that before I came along. She always has to be all up in our conversations. I literally have been PUSHED physically aside so she can be next to him. If i get up for a second she immediately takes my spot. He says he doesnt notice any of these things. She has emotional outbursts and will break into a drooling sobbing mess in the middle of a restaurant because we were talking about college. Then yelled at my husband afterwards because she doesnt know if she will get into any schools because of her grades. If i bring up the reality that most of her schooling she did bad in, he gets defensive and angry becuase "well for the past few months shes been better". Which is true but I am not sure if its enough for colleges. Im just being realistic. AND hes trying to arrange for her to move to our state and live with us after she graduates highschool. I swear that will end our marriage i think. I donʻt know what to do. After she manipulated my niece into buying her a vape with our $ that was supposed to be used for them to spend the day together I had had it. I told him if he doesnt discipline her. Make her pay us back and set consequences we would be done! So he stayed late in his office and talked to her on the phone where I wasnt around. It makes me wonder if he even was in any way harsh in any way. Ive heard her yell at him and even flat out blame him for her deviant bahaviors. And he just silently takes it. He would say he doesnt because he explains to her why her behaviors are going to harm her, and tells he the usual stuff like " I believe in you, you can do better, I care about you, i worry about your future yada yada. But has never ever ever been able to say firmly "DO NOT TALK TO ME THIS WAY". If my boys yell at me he is on them right away and says not to disrespet me. I explain children NEED discipline. SHe is CRYING out for some! You need to be a FATHER and not good time dad. There hasnʻt been anything lately where his disciplining was in order. She has been out of trouble since she has had this boyrfriend. BUt I still have resentment because he never acknowledged that he cannot set boundaries or establish consequences, there just hasnt been as much of a need to lately. He will tell me to stop bringing up stuf from the past. And although the crazy behavioral antics have seemingly subsided, she still is very invasive physically in our space with the whole having to stand between us or push her head between us and listen to all our conversations and HE DOESNT SEE IT! He told my I was a SH****TY person last night because I said i donʻt have a problem with HER, i have a problem with HIS PARENTING. This morning I told him I know Im not a bad person and Im pretty sure he knows that. He agreed that he didnt really mean it. But told me he needs time to think about our marriage. Im scared.

Sorry if this was all over the place. Itʻs all pent up frustration!!!

justmakingthebest's picture

Ok, I know that you love this man. That is obvious. 

However, as I am sure you are well aware, your marriage has to come first. If you husband is so much of a disney daddy that he is willing to even consider ending your marriage becasue you want your SD to have basic boundaries, that should tell you all you need to know. 

If she doesn't get into college (which at this point should be pretty obvious as long as you know her grades and SAT scores) what is his plan? To have her live with you guys? Then what? Let her be lazy and intrusive for the next 10 years becasue he feels guilty for living long distance from her?

He might be doing you a major favor here. He just told you where you stand, and that is behind his daughter. Not just her needs, becasue I will always put kids needs above all else-( Needs: Food, clothing, Water, shelter, safety.) he bends to her demands. He doesn't discipline. She will make your life a living hell so that she can be his mini-wife. 

It would be one thing if there was an actual plan in place. She was coming there to go to community college and work at least 20 hrs a week. However, it seems that he just wants his princess and she can sit around and do as she pleases and dadddyyy will just give her all the money and time she needs- the rest of you be damned.  

ESMOD's picture

First of all.. please see if he will agree to counseling.  Neither of you are doing a bang up job of communciating.

I mean, you threaten to leave him if he doesn't enforce a punishment you want?  I understand that was probably frustration about the situation.. but perhaps you are both throwing out this "empty threat" and in the process chipping away at the foundation of your marriage?

Certainly his daughter would do better with boundaries.. but then again.. I understand that he is not interested in punishing her for past behaviors that may not be current.

As to her pushing in between you?  You can call her out on that.. she gets in your seat when you leave.. take it back.  Don't rely on your DH to "notice" it.  Men can be dense and selectively deaf, dumb and blind.

It also sounds like he has a clear difference in how he sees BOYS should be raised vs Girls.  Again, counseling might help him see how being permissive is hurting her.. not helping.

good luck.. because this pattern seems to be long ingrained.

denmatsg's picture

she is so fragile. i fear if i call her out on anything she will cry to dad and he will chose her each time because he sees his princess hurt.

ESMOD's picture

It's not like you really need to be mean about it.  If we are watching TV in the living room.. me seated beside my DH.. I go to grab us popcorn.. one of the girls takes my seat.  When I come back in the room.. I would just matter of factly say.. "Scoot.. I'm back"

If they tried to sit in front of car with my DH.. "You guys know the rules.. Kids in the back". 

You don't have to be an enforcer... but you also don't need to let her rule you.

TrueNorth77's picture

This is exactly what I had to start doing because SD would always take my spot when I got up. I also once casually threw out that "your dad and I have our spots", to plant that seed that if I'm around, that's my spot. Usually if she sees me coming she will scoot over, but if she doesn't I just make a motion with my hand or say "scoot over dude", and she does.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this...my SO has a hard time giving consequences as well, and it infuriates me (luckily it doesn't come up often), and I understand how resentment can build. A kid moving back in after all of this would be a hard no for me though. I don't think I could handle it. No good advice, but I think counseling could be beneficial if you can get him to go. Good luck.

MommyT's picture

You are dealing with a Disney dad. He probably has some guilt for not being with his daughter all the time. I am sorry you are going through this. Therapy is the best course of action. Also, your kids come first, so if they are being treated differently, that leaves a lasting impression.

shamds's picture

Reinintiating contact after 5.5 yrs being kidnapped by bio and pas’d out, there was a bit of miniwife syndrome. They even tried walking side by side with hubby while he pushed our kids in their twin stroller. I am never walking behind skids, not ever, so i went to his side as we usually walk when alone...

skids were renegaded to the back behind us as they should be. Sd’s think they dictate what they can do to our 2 kids, actually told me in front of their dad in our car that they would just do what they wanted when i said no, so again I repeated myself in the most sarcastic condescending tone “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” Hubby instantly backs me up and says no. Other times i turn around for seconds and they’re doing inappropriate thingw with my kids that they have no right to and shouldn’t  likegiving melted chocolate to a 2 yr old at a cousins wedding in a white dress, they just sit there all innocent like. I actually have to tell my husband the shit they pull and the invasion of privacy

they play this fake oh we really want a relationship with you dad... yup i call bullshit especially when you have never come to our home for almost a year, not seen your dad for 5-6 months... their alterior motives come out when they try to sabotage my and our kids image in front of family except when they do this people judge their dad instead. Can’t help dumb stepkids who are incapable of thinking logically.

no way in hell i would sit there with a grown skid getting all physically intimate with my husband. I would leave as its just rude and disrespectful 

Survivor227's picture

You aren’t helping her or yourself in this mess. You have to take back your space, refuse to play second fiddle to a deviant child. I learned the hard way by being quiet and trying to allow DH to handle the situations, but you have a right to expect his loyalty in this marriage. He CHOSE to marry you now he needs to put you as his equal in this. If he can’t or won’t then he needs to self destruct ALONE and watch his daughter take him down with her. No wife is ever less than the children. You deserve better so start expecting it.

Harry's picture

But don’t expect a 100% turn around.  You either have to live with his DD coming first, or it’s time to leave.  You have to make sure SD does not live with you. That a big NO