You are here

Here we go again... sorry its another long one....

notthebradybunch6's picture

I am so tired of having the same arguments over and over again. The issue continues to be my husbands inability to put my needs and the peace and harmony in our home before his mothers desire to create conflict.

Last year the issue was his mother being in cahoots with his ex-wife to ensure that our family was supplied with constant drama. The fact that my husband would listen to these women tell him I was a controlling b_!ch, who picked on his one son. Never mind that I was the only woman he would tell no to on a regular basis, and that his mother and his ex-wife had convinced his one son that if he was mean and nasty to me they (his father and the two boys) go back to the small backwater tawn they lived in and live with their Mother again. These two issues are facts that even my husband can't deny.

I have repeatedly asked, begged and pleaded with this man who asked me to marry him, I did not force him to marry me at knife or gun point, to put our marriage and what is important to me his wife before how his ex-wife and his mother believe our marriage should work.

The current issue revolves around money. Once upon a time I made a 6 figure salary and was the primary bread winner in our blended family. An issue arose when to continue in my career we would have to move. Move 5 hours away from where we live. 5 hours away from his mother and his ex-wife. The dust storm that thought that I would still my husband away and take them to an area that has better schools and an incredible amount of learning experiences was cause for full on war with my mother-in-law. Now to be honest, my ex also about lost his mind, but I was given permission to relocate at the end of the school year with my kids, by the courts. So I relocated by myself with the plan that everyone would move up at the end of the school year. I moved the 5 hours away and came home every weekend. As time neared for us to move my husband became more and more resistant to the move, coming up with excuse after excuse why it would be a bad idea. Finally just as I was about to secure a home for all of us to move into, he dropped the bomb that he would not take his boys away from his mother or their mother.

I explained to him that I did not want a marriage that would be strained by the distance 5 hours would put between us. We discussed and decided to have me come home and try to find a job, knowing I would not make as much, and he would ensure that if I came home he would work on him and I being a team and would not let others interfere as much in our day to day family life.

I was deluding myself. There are no jobs for me here locally, and I have been on unemployment for some time now. Money is extremely tight. I get a pittance for unemployment income but it is better than nothing, and I have child support. My husband while having full custody of his boys does not CHOOSE to go after child support because he doesn't want to fight with his ex.

So the new school year is getting ready to start he and I sat down and talked about the cost of lunches for the new school year. Last year we paid $200.00 a month for school lunches for the 4 kids in our household. There were some months paying for lunches made it difficult to buy groceries at home. I told him I planned to apply for free or reduced lunches this year since my unemployment had been cut by more than half we just could not afford lunches. He bristled aggravated that he worked and therefore he should be able to pay for his kids to have lunch. I asked him where the money was going to come from. He had no answer. We agreed that if we qualified we would apply. THEN he talked to his mother. Well apparently it was decided it was ok for my kids to get free lunches but she would provide "child support" he wasn't getting by paying for lunches and other things for his boys. Only his boys. My issue is that my child support right or wrong has supported OUR FAMILY to include his boys for the last YEAR. I have been up to the school every week putting money on all the kids accounts, the vast majority of that money coming from the child support I receive for my two kids.

Today I find out that not only has his mother been spending time and money with just his two boys, (I don't really care about what she does with them as long as it does not affect things in our house or act against the agreements between my husband and I and the rules we have set in place for our home), but now she is putting $60.00 on the boys lunch accounts. Basically her grandson's are too good for free lunches, but my kids are not, and top it off the money I have been putting on the accounts for little extra stuff they may want is totally unappreciated. Do you have any idea how often I kick myself in the rear for walking away from a good career to focus on what I thought was MY FAMILY.

My husband has lied to me for the LAST TIME.

\

Delilah's picture

I am so sorry to hear this.

No wonder you are hurt and angry, you have every right to be. Personally though, while I completely appreciate your generousity of spirit and your good reasons for using your children's child support to feed all the children impo this probably wasnt a great idea. That money is from the children's father, for HIS children. You did this because you have a kind heart however your partner has shown you numerous times how unfaithful he is to you - and imho, unfaithfulness doesnt necessarily have to result from a sexual act, it can include emotional adultary, betrayal of your spouse. By taking the word of his ex and his mother, over his wife (while I am sure difficult for any grown child, to decifer and realise your mother is lying to you about your partner) and continung to deny the hurt this has caused you, your marriage is disgusting. To then compound things further by not supporting your career, encouraging you to give up on that when you have children to support yourself is horrendous! Now this, he is happy to throw your children under the bus while he colludes with his mother and more than likley at some points his ex - doesnt sound like he has disentangled from her.

Personally I would look and see if there are any job opportunities in the area you orignially were going to relocate to and other areas - you have to look after you and your children first as its quite clear your DH is not going to, nor will he ever be trustworthy, dependable or faithful to you. Time for you to withdraw all financial support and use this for your own kids, yourself - after all these children DO have a mother to pay for them, up to their dumbass dad if he doesnt want to ask her to pay for the children she had. He has used you, so much so your children have gone without and now he can see something his kids may have to do without because the well is dry, he is using someone else and to hell with you. Thats awful.

CalgonTakeMeAway's picture

I'm so sorry about all that. Sad Sometimes we can be stubborn and not see the forest for the trees. I know I've put up with a lot of BS in my life, more than somebody on the outside looking in would put up with. Then I got to the point it sounds like you're at...NO MORE!

It sounds like your DH has never put you first, and he continues to show you where his priorities lie. No only do you have to deal with his ex, but also his mother! UGH!

Just the fact that his mother is still so dominant in his life tells me he's always been a mama's boy and always will be. He's creating conflict with the only one who will allow it...you. I know you want your marriage to work, but at what cost? I commend you for trying so hard up til now.

Is it possible to go back to the career that you left? I know you have some tough decisions to make. You need to put you and your kids first, because you are the only one who will. Good luck. We're here when you need to vent! {{{{Hugs}}}}

the_stepmonster's picture

Ridiculous! This sounds like a nightmare, honestly. I agree with the other ladies on here that you need to put you and your children first. That's what he is doing to you regardless of how you feel about it. His children are coming first when he doesn't want to move away from his ex. His children are coming first when he lets mommy make sure only his children are fed. He is coming first by refusing to get CS from his ex. It's time you took some action to do right by you and your children.