You are here

How Do You Decide Whether to Stay or Go?

lil_teapot's picture

I'm trying really hard to make my life with dh work, but I don't know that it's the right thing. I know he meets all the criteria I want in a man...I made the list when I was in therapy after divorcing my first husband. There's so much about him that rocks. I know that he's a solid guy who's always there for me.
My problem is and has been that he will flip flop on me to appease his exwife. We'll make a plan, together as a team, and then he'll talk to her or involve her in some way and we wind up changing everything because of her. I am quite honestly fed up. This is the only issue I have with him. I truly love him with all my heart and can see us living our lives together. I just am so angry that he allows her to control him, and me too. It really also fries my behind that he will actively seek her input on things that are none of her business...it's our home, our life, etc. All they share is having made a couple of kids together. I didn't realize that smooshing their dna together into a couple of kids entitled them to a lifetime of enmeshment. I am not at all bothered by them interacting over the kids...I encourage it and support it. He's never, ever heard one bad word from me about it. What I cant stand is the fact that it doesn't end there...he can't/won't set the solid, concrete boundary that our relationship and our homelife is strictly OFF LIMITS to her. I don't care what her issues are, what she thinks, etc...what goes on in our home is our business and ours alone.
And that's my problem. Do I give up this great guy because I can't deal with the ex? I can see how we work together so well in so many ways, but it all seems pointless because when he chooses to allow the EW to control us, he's telling me that she matters more, and always will. I can't figure out why...I've tried but just can't. So now I'm left with wondering simply, do all his good qualities outweigh the way he upsets me? I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water so to speak, but I wonder if the things he does that hurt me are going to make me resentful and unhappy until I finally say enough...
I don't know what to do. I want to save our relationship, but if his EW is going to forever rule our roost, I don't think that I can be ok with that. I know I deserve better...we ALL deserve better...I just wonder if I'm asking for too much and being too picky?

MamaTracy's picture

I am somewhat in the same boat...my DH and I will talk things over and he will tell me he will tell her one thing and then he goes and gives in to her...I just don't understand the hold the EW's have on our DH's...My DH was supposed to tell the cow one thing and before I know it he is giving in to her again like he always does...I am just so confused right now...I love my DH but to be honest I am losing respect for him...and I don't know how to tell him that...any thoughts?

Sita Tara's picture

I think my sons' SM struggles with this one too, but she's getting better. My exH and I are friends. I have no desire to be more than that with him EVER. I look at him, or talk to him now and I can't believe we were ever married, because we are so different. EXCEPT when it comes to our kids. There he and his wife disagree and have tons of blended family issues.

He and I agree on the boys. It was the only thing we ever agreed to easily when we were married. Then when I left, and he remarried right away, he started latching onto her views of how we should raise our kids. That was problematic.

I learned very quickly to choose my battles wisely, and make sure they were about what was best for the kids. Then I would dig my heels in completely, only when absolutely necessary.

There were two instances that were constant conflicts for me. One was that though my exH and I both smoked during our marriage (I was off and on due to pregnancy and nursing when I didn't smoke for years, then because he was still smoking, I would start back up.) Anyway, we never smoked in the house once we had kids. He would go to the garage in the winter, on the porch in the summer. Our sons, 5 and 2 when we divorced, had no clue we even smoked, and I intended to keep it that way, reading up on stats regarding illness, ear infections, and kids ending up as smokers if they saw their parents smoking.

As soon as she moved in, he started smoking in front of the boys. I would pick them up and they would reek. If I did smoke in the house in the winter, I shut the door to my den, opened a window and blew the smoke out. BUT I never did it til they were upstairs on the other side of the house and asleep. My sons didn't know until recently that I ever smoked. I'm proud of that.

She told him I was just a hypocrite, and he passed that along to me. I know it came from her, as he and I totally agreed about smoking before he met her.

Every Dr appt I went to with my younger son, who had raging ear infections constantly, the Dr asked, "Are his dad and SM still smoking around them?" Fortunately, they went to the same Dr, and the Dr addressed it with them every time they came in. FINALLY a few years ago, they both quit.

I just never understood why he flipped on something so important.

The other conflict was the fact that the Kindergarten teacher, hand picked by my ex at the school district he demanded in the divorce, wanted to hold BS 14 back. The preschool teacher had made the same suggestion and we ignored it because she was new. This teacher had 25 years experience. At the meeting, the teacher seemed bent on discussing this with me, because my ex was so adamant that my son was too smart to be held back. The teacher agreed it wasn't an intellectual development issue, it because he needed too much constant direction to finish tasks.

When my ex refused to listen I voiced one concern. I said, "You know, I agree with you that he should be held back. We got divorced over the summer and now he has a whole new step family living with him. That's a lot the year you start elementary school. But I'm worried about how he will feel when his new Sbrother, who's in the same grade, goes forward to first grade and he stays back.

The teacher said, "I thought his teacher was holding him back too." And sort of looked questioningly at exH. He was furious she brought it up. I said, "Well then! That sounds perfect! No one will feel bad then. And of course, if he turns out to be a genius and can skip back up later, we can do that. But if we make a mistake by sending him onto first grade when he's not ready then that's much harder to fix later."

The teacher was very pleased. So much so that she told me a few weeks later on a field trip that the invitation to that conference was for me ONLY, because she heard my ex and SM were not listening to the other K teacher regarding her son, and my son's teacher wanted to talk to me first alone to see what I thought. My ex had seen the letter with my name on it in BS's backpack, took it out and read it, and then called me to tell me about the conference, as though he was invited and letting me know to be nice!

NOW....

I could have gone off for that and would have been right. BUT...instead... I simply put that info away for later, should exH decide to try to override my decision to keep BS back in K again.

Those are only one of the few times I put my foot down.

But it was really hard originally, having another new parent for your kids, when you're doing it alone yourself. She was never on her own as long as I was, and she had FC of her kids and didn't have to do shared parenting. She didn't understand that we both had equal say, equal time with the boys.

AND... she didn't like him not having full control because that's what she was used to.

We still have other problems. Mainly she is very lenient on discipline with her kids, but expects him to hold his to a higher standard. She claims it's the other way around, but I know from talking with both of them, that she is very permissive, and tries to help them fit in through gadgets and clothes. My ex and I don't believe in spoiling kids materialistically.

So things come up.

I guess my long winded point is they always will come up.

And if they want to have this relaxed friendly relationship and it's going to tear you apart, I feel you might be the one suffering yourself. It's a delicate balance. I'm very proud of the friendship I have developed with both my exH and his wife, but it's a struggle to take the high road all the time. I usually do, and then eventually she calms down. She thinks I involve him in decisions about the boys, or my BS 14's issues with attitude too much. She has criticized my DH's parenting to me in an email (as well as my exH's.) I never bite back. Just tell her I don't agree, and we need to agree to disagree for the sake of our friendship.

So...
not sure if all that was enlightening or me just waxing poetic on your post!

But....
figure out what is going to work for you now. I always suggest counseling.

You and your fh need to set, establish and communicate limits first with each other, then him to BM. Then pick your battles- always choosing what's best for the kids over your own ego, BUT not allowing BM to invade your territory. If he's not doing that (and by the sound of your other post he is NOT) then he needs some counseling to help him figure it all out too.

"Om Tare Tutare Ture Mama Ayurpunye Jnana Putin Kuru Svaha"
~Sita Tara Mantra

BabygotBack1988's picture

talk to him tell him your needs if he continues then go you deserve to be happy and yes this does out weigh all the good if it makes you so unhappy even tho he is great you should not be together but id say this is a problem that can be fixed so talk go to counsilling and once you have run out of options then its up to you

life is a box of choclates you never know what your going to get (i always pick the coffe of the box what about you ) Blum 3

lil_teapot's picture

He said to me that 90 percent of what he does is good and our life is good...does the 5 percent erase all that? And i told him yeah it does...I don't NOT love him, I just can't take the misery. I love the good times and being with him, but I feel like I have to keep bending in order for this relationship to succeed...so that 5 percent bad stuff is alot when it's like 'the straw that broke the camels back.'

ColorMeGone2's picture

What happens in your home most certainly is none of her business... unless her children are or could be impacted by it. If they are, that's her entrée into your home and your life. That will never go away. If he's asking for her opinion on what color y'all should paint your bedroom, though, that's a whole 'nother issue.

I think this one is something that, if you are both willing and able to compromise and establish clear boundaries, can work itself out. And from their POV, it's usually easier to let BM have what she wants than fight her for it, especially if it's not that big of a deal to them. Unfortunately, most husbands and wives are in disagreement over what constitutes a "big" deal.

♥ ANNE 8102 ♥

lil_teapot's picture

We actually argued that all last night. and i expressed to him that though we can't agree what websters dictionary would constitute a 'big deal' I know one when I experience it. if it makes me freak out, scream, yell, leave the house, or pack my things I think it's a big deal whether he thinks it is or not. If one person thinks its a big deal, it is.

hangingin's picture

it all came to a head over a Dental Card. My DH and I had just discussed the issue the night before about how BM did not NEED the Dental Card as she "insisted". All she needed was the 1-800 # for the Dentist. I had even generously provided her with copies of the ONE card we had.But she very much wanted that card?!?! (I knew if she got her grubby paws on it, we would never EVER see it again) So, I thought that the subject was closed. Imagine my surprise when my dear HD called me at work and TOLD me that BM was coming by MY WORK to pick up the card? WTF?? I LOST IT! I told him very loudly to go F*** himself and her too, I then called her and told her that if she so much as stepped one fat twisted foot on my job's property I would have her arrested for harrassment. She tried to "loud" talk me and tell me that she would just go ahead have the bill sent to us, I told her to go ahead and try, since our signature was not on the permission papers (SD wanted UNNESSESSARY BRACES,to fit in with all her friends and we strongly disagreed, but BM had made that promise to her,and then 3 months down the road, abandoned her AGAIN,and I STILL REFUSED TO PAY, I think her grandmother started paying?!?!, not my problem!)so I told her I would sue her for forgery and any thing else I could come up with! I then called the Dental Clinic and STRONGLY suggested that they know the braces were not OUR idea, and DO NOT SEND ANY BILLS TO US. I ultimitely HAD to take a stand with both DH and his EX. They now know how MUCH (OR LITTLE) I will tolerate. Let's just say my HD has NEVER changed his mind AGAIN after a discussion that results in a aggreement that both of us has made.

hangingin

lil_teapot's picture

You completely rock!!! That's how I handle things too...I try to be calm and go with the flow for as long as I can, but EW keeps pushing and dh doesnt'push back until I explode!lol I feel absolutely terrible about it, but it's sometimes necessary. Glad to see it's not just me...thanks so much for making me feel better Smile