You are here

How often do judges make thier decision on custody due to recommendations of the gaurdian ad litem.

stepmama2one's picture

How much influence does a gaurdian ad litem have on a judge?

stepmama2one's picture

THank for for your response it was very interesting and imformative. I hope that our situation ends up like yours. Smile

godess-clueless's picture

My experience with GAL'S have often left me in a state of shock. My siser did foster care for over 20 years. It was amazing to her how some of these people although well meaning could be left to make decisions about the children. My sister with her elementary education degree,psychology and child developement major,and owner of her own pre school often found herself in situations of having to deal with GAL'S. Some had the background to do a decent job. Others came equipted with nothing more than the desire to "help a child." The GAL'S came from every walk of life. The fast food worker with no children or experience could take a few classes and become GAL. The most well off person that could not begin to understand the poverty and conditions in the childs life could simply take a few classes. A few minutes of visiting the child every now and then and sometimes their own life experience of having been in foster care, adopted as children or their own parents divorce swayed their decisions about these children. I had custody of my husband's grandaughter at one point. The GAL was an elderly man with brain damage from a gun shot accident 7 years earlier. He stopped by to visit all of one time. GALS are volunteers so they do not always come as the best qualified for the job.

stepmama2one's picture

Well this gaurdian ad litem is not a volunteer. She is what you call a lawyer ad litem because she is actually a lawyer. She is a very known one also. Im just happy that she actually seen through all of he bs and found out the truth. Im hoping that it turns out the way it should for my SD. Thank you for your response Smile