You are here

Mini wife and help with understanding please

Unblendedmess's picture

Hi all,

So I have a lot going on unsure where to start but im in a long term relationship and adore my partner to no end. I have an SD12 and my own 4 children as well. We arent married so not technically SD. Anyhow she has behavioural issues as well as epilepsy. As a result my partner babies her and waits on her hand and foot. To start with we lived together for a year or so after which he has since moved out as it was too hard for him and he felt bad placing the stress of her on me and my children. I didnt agree nor disagree with him moving out. He said nothing has changed feelings wise and he felt living separate was best to save our relationship. I told him i preferred to work through it together but that did not happen, he left anyway. He said we would still see a lot of each other but we only see each other 2 nights a week sometimes only 1. He is taking his daughter more and more it used to be eowe. This while admirable has made me rather insecure. Before he moved out I brought up issues I was having with blending. Every night he had his daughter he would sleep in her bed with her. He said this was to watch for seizures, however i still felt uneasy about it because there were other issues such as him calling her and I the same pet names including sexy girl, princess, beautiful, babe etc... i told him i found esp the sexy one hugely inappropriate, he said he slipped as he calls me that so much but also that it was just a word and i was overreacting. On top of this he would snuggle on couch with her massage her feet etc. Is this normal as I told him i felt uncomfortable in my own home and he would go silent and i basically didnt exist any time she was here. Now i get she needs extra care and deserves her dads time and affection but at the full expense of myself? I never or rarely got a hug or kiss while she was here any and all affections, conversations were transferred, i felt like the roomate watching a boyfriend and girlfriend at times. He apologised for this and didnt realise i was feeling ignored so definitely made an effort to change this in the final weeks before deciding to move out and stopped with some of the pet names. I said just keep 1 for me SD can have the rest. So in a way i was relieved when he moved out but i feel it coincided with me bringing these issues to the surface and that he has moved out so that he can continue to be this way with her without me questioning him. He now focuses on how we can focus on happy times, holidays, dates and not worry about blending. So i feel like he only wants the good times with me and keep the rest separate. I know i must sound crazy but ive barely touched the surface, he says he loves me, calls everyday, is wonderful when he is with me but I still feel so anxious and strange about the entire thing. We went from living together to 2 nights seeing each other and i almost feel like its my punishment for questioning his wife-like treatment of his 12 year old. She would also interrupt and intercept conversations and tell me off if i was disciplining my own children, saying to me dont tell him what to do, and also parent like behaviours, trying to dress my son or walk in on him whilst he was dressing saying she can help him. Id tell her to go out and she would say no, so my son and i would have to go to another room. I think I am in shock right now as it was just so strange. I now have no desire to see him when he has his daughter as im resentful now, im trying to be understanding but its really hard. Please dont abuse me i already dont feel great about my feelings towards a 12 year old. I love kids, i have 4 of my own. I wanted a relationship with her and to marry my partner someday but now we dont even live together, he says we will when kids are older but his daughter needs care for life due to multiple conditions so am i to wait and see or accept ill never live with him or be a priority. Right now he says any nights his daughter doesnt want to come over to his house he will be here with me but he wants to be a good dad so will have her whenever needed which is great kids arent kids long. Look i dont know if ive given enough detail but i feel like our relationship is controlled by a 12 year old. Im lost please help. Should i have walked away by now? I cant seem to do it. I dont want to lose him. Just quickly when we moved in together his daughter was not having visitation with him so i didnt know the full extent until he got visitation back and we already lived together. 

Thanks for reading

Much appreciated

JRI's picture

I dont see him changing.  Be glad he moved out.  You should ask yourself if he is worth waiting for in order for you to live together but if she is 12, that's at least 6 years.  And, I doubt she will launch at 18 so its still more years.

His treatment of her sounds pervy.  I would not want to be with him.  Throw this one back, Unblended, you deserve a man who is attracted to adult women, not 12 year olds. 

I know you want a good relationship, we all do.  You are pining for that.  But this man is wrong for you on a very basic level.    Him moving out was a gift.  

Rumplestiltskin's picture

Watching them together sounds nauseating. He is raising her to be his dependent little pet. 

Kes's picture

I found myself feeling relieved that you and this man no longer live together.  There is a saying, when someone shows you who they are, believe them - and he has done.  You are right, she is his mini wife and you will always come second. It won't change even when this girl is in her 20s or 30s, so best to make the break now and find a real man who is not inappropriately enmeshed with his daughter. 

Kaylee's picture

Disgusting. Calling his daughter "sexy babe" or whatever it was you wrote.

Be thankful he moved out. His behaviour to her, and you, is all wrong.

Wash your hands completely of this one!

Unblendedmess's picture

Im so thankful that its not just me that thinks its gross as when I said it he acted really shocked that i would even think that way. So i thought perhaps my thoughts were wrong and was considering therapy. I go from knowing I have to end it to panic about never seeing him again. I invested way too much in this relationship but feel my mental health sliding as I have this wish that I could be so important to someone as he is to me. He just cancelled coming over because he suddenly has his daughter overnight, I hate that thought of them bed sharing while im just dropped like a hot potato, argh feel like crap right now. Anyway thanks for your thoughts everyone, really, its so nice to hear from complete strangers

Winterglow's picture

Your feeling are perfectly valid. Sleping with a 12yo is not normal - hasn't he ever heard of seizure detection devices? They are remarkably efficient. He wants this dependence from his daughter, he wants her to be his "thing", and no, it is absolutely not healthy. It is also not good for you to be simply placed on the back burner every time his daughter wants to see him - you are a second best right down the line. And I won't go into her behaviour towards you (but what can you expect from a child who has been put before and above everyone else than to think she is always right and that she should always be obeyed?) because that is just wrong beyone belief.

Bottom line, she is never going to get any better, only worse, because that suits her father. You are much better off on your own than with a guy who worships someone else and treats you as an afterthought. IF I were you, I'd free myself of him completely. Why drag out the agony?

tog redux's picture

Like many men on here, your SO is confusing "enmeshment" with "good parenting". The fact that he lost visitation for a time probably makes it even harder for him to be a real parent who sets limits and boundaries; he's afraid he will lose her again. 

She will only get older and more powerful and better at trying to push you out. Unless you are okay with what you have now and can keep her separate from you and your kids, then it's time to move on, as hard as it is. 

Merry's picture

This man isn't capable of having an adult relationship it appears. He is so enmeshed with his daughter that there is no room. Consider untangling yourself from him and his dysfunction because it won't get better.

Stop being so available to him, just like he's not available to you. Plan other activities for yourself and your kids so that you can't/don't/won't talk to him when he calls. Stop seeing him even once a week. Live your life NOW for yourself and for your kids, and don't wait for some far-off time when you can be with this guy. It just won't ever come.

What do YOU need to be happy, with or without a man in your life? What fulfills YOU? Stop being the side chick.

ESMOD's picture

Hey.. you have gotten past the hard part which is kicking them out.. lol.

Seriously.. this isn't going to work.. his relationship with his daughter borders on weird.. you don't feel like a priority to him.. he doesn't spend much time with you.. 

and.. you have 4 kids of your own.. My advice be a good parent to your own children.. focus on them.  If and when you do find a partner.. ensure that you are getting a partner in all ways.. and not one who can't put you on his todo list.

Unsureofthis's picture

I can feel your anguish through your words and you clearly care deeply for him. Him moving out and focusing on his daughter is the best thing for now. Things change so much and so quickly in step situations and things will change again. How he is treating his daugher is not right and very "ick" and you don't want to see it or be around it. You don't need to make any decisions right now, just try to roll with the punches and enjoy his company when you see him, but maintain your own fabulous life away from him.

shamds's picture

3rd  visit in and they were undressing my kids when my kids didn't even know who they were and my husband stupidly watched. They wanted to play dress ups.

i shut that down and told my husband that sd's may be his kids with the exwife but we hardly know them and have no relationship with them, they are effectively strangers and they bave no rights to undress my daughter. 

now any man who expects to toss you to the side and wait till his kid(s) are adults is not worth waiting for. The resentment won't take long and what about her epilepsy and lack of independence will change when she becomes an adult? Absolutely nothing!!

there are plenty of men out there that will make an effort now!! A man wanting to put you aside as not a priority and hope you stick around for 5-8 yrs so you can so called become a priority aint worth it