You are here

New - I'm not the mom

Shymom's picture

My partner and I are in a committed relationship and have a blended family.  His son is almost 9 and my children are older.  I help with my partner's son often.  I don't mind taking care of him at all.  I actually enjoy it.  The problem that I have though is that my partner is really putting a lot of parental responsibility and expectations on me.  I understand that dating a man with a young child means that there are just some things that he can't do and I have made a commitment to be with him even though he has a child to take care of.  I get that the child comes first but that shouldn't mean that I shouldn't do things that I'd like to do for myself.  I would like to take a trip for my birthday and he thinks we should all go, which would be prohibitively expensive.  He's also not consistently working because he has to take care of his kid and always makes an excuse to quit his jobs.  I've worked hard to raise my kids and I get it, I was a single mom of four but I did it.  My kids and I all pitch in to help him.  Whenever he is working he's constantly complaining and makes it seem like it's my fault that he's taking a job he hates.  But he doesn't save money or tries to find sustainable employment.  He's always finding these hail marys and self-sabotage.   For the most part, financially I'm the only one consistently working, taking care of the bills, come home, cook, clean and take care of his kid.  I don't ask my partner to not do something for himself for my children. I don't feel he should expect me to not take a job that conflicts with his son's and his schedule.  Or wanting to go on an adult-only trip for my birthday.  I feel his child is his primary responsibility and I'm here as a support system.  He's about to quit his job working nights to take a pay cut and work a day job in a warehouse, lifting all day with a bad back.  Sustainable? Plus, he told me we have to figure out what to do about his son after school.  So, today I told him I want to take a trip - just the two of us or just me for my birthday in January. And I applied for a second job which means I can't watch his son as much so he needs to be put in after-school care and he needs to figure it out and let me know.  He's acting like everything I say is negative and bad. 

Am I wrong for putting boundaries? 

ndc's picture

Of course you're not wrong. It sounds like your SO is mad that he's not able to use you to the extent he'd like. What's appealing about a guy who won't hold a job or respect your boundaries?

Shymom's picture

Good question.  I love him no lie, but I am starting to feel like he's replacing his ex and putting me in that place.  He does a lot for me personally but I think he really needs to man up. And I feel bad for saying it but seriously, I think of all the thousands of single parents out there doing it and it makes absolutely no sense to me why he can't with one child that is of school age with help!  So, yeah, I realize I need to re-evaluate and put my foot down.  I just hated feeling like a villain.  I work hard and I'd like to travel while I can.  Not trying to not include him but once in a while, I feel we need that.  We can't even go on a date alone.  His son doesn't even let us share affection.  He's always in the middle and always there.  I really just need some kid-free space, not often but sometimes. SO is acting offended. I just can't be the reason for his negativity and lack of responsibility for himself. IDK

Rumplestiltskin's picture

Leet me guess, the kid is always in your bed, too. You seem to want an adult relationship. You raised your kids and are independent, and what you want from him is for him to be your partner, not just to be a replacement daddy. You are even willing to help him. But - maybe what he wants is someone to take over his parenting for him. To take responsibility for his kid, and maybe for him too. Sounds like both he and his kid need a mommy. 

JRI's picture

You said, "I feel the child is HIS primary responsibility and I'm here as his support system (my emphasis)..  Your other comments show you are seeing the situation clearly.  Of course you should have some date nights and adult-only vacations.

There is a saying on Steptalk: Has he done the work?   That means has dad ironed out his residence, custody order, the child's hygiene, behavior, bedtime, childcare.  If he hasnt done that, it's terribly tough on a woman coming into the situation, as you know.  I'm getting the feeling he is using your kindness.  That spotty work record is a red flag, too.

Another saying is:  Love is not enough. Good luck, you sound like a caring, intelligent person, Shymom.

Rumplestiltskin's picture

Sounds like OP has done the work for herself but her SO wants her to do it for him, too. 

Sparkl3s's picture

No you are not wrong for putting boundaries that don't suit his agenda. If you care or do more for the child than his biological parents do, in my opinion you are being used. It also seems to create a lot of resentment for other posters. My now husband never expected me to and my personal disengagement is due more to a HCBM. 
If anything put more boundaries up and make sure to keep your finances seprate .     

The_Upgrade's picture

Easiest way to do a check test if you’re wondering whether or not you’re being unreasonable is to ask yourself what would he do if you weren’t there. Like for example if a man asks the new gf to take over all lunch preps, school pick ups, drop offs and homework help because she’s a motherly figure and they argue when she complains it’s too much. What would he do if she wasn’t there? He’d have to step up and do his actual job as the parent. And if he’s not doing that then he doesn’t have his shit together, he’s just looking for someone to palm the responsibility off to. Ultimately you’re looking for a partner, someone who you can respect. Someone who’s got his life sorted and just wants mutual company. Not another man-child, extra child and crazy ex lurking in the background. 

Rags's picture

Nope, the child never trumps the partners or relationship.  The partners and relationship are unequivocally each other's top priority and must always come first.

Kids are the top relationship responsibility. Not the priority.

Now for your choice of mates.  Find one that is worth a shit.  This guy is a user and a loser.  You have to value yourself and your life and happiness more than this.

Loxy's picture

What is it that a man can't do for a child that a woman can? Sorry to be so blunt but I think you are being played and used and your partner sounds lazy, disrespectful and overall awful. 

What do you get from this relationship as you definitely deserve better!

Winterglow's picture

This guy is a millstone round your neck. Get rid of him and take your life back. Love is not enough. 

AgedOut's picture

You cook, clean, tend his child, work, support the three of you... what exactly is his role in all of this? 

Where do tyou see this in 5 years?

Losingit321's picture

I always flip things around and I cannot believe the expecations the biological parents put on us.  And for what.  My motto is I didn't create it and I am sure not going to fix it.  You are NOT wrong for setting boundries at all.  I would think at this point if it's worth it.  If I could go back I would have never married my husband.  I didn't expect to be raising his kid.  I had to have a lot of meltdowns and frankly there's no reason for it.  As you know as a single mother you would have never expected this from someone else.  Why as women then do men expect it from us?  I will NEVER understand that. 

Losingit321's picture

I always flip things around and I cannot believe the expecations the biological parents put on us.  And for what.  My motto is I didn't create it and I am sure not going to fix it.  You are NOT wrong for setting boundries at all.  I would think at this point if it's worth it.  If I could go back I would have never married my husband.  I didn't expect to be raising his kid.  I had to have a lot of meltdowns and frankly there's no reason for it.  As you know as a single mother you would have never expected this from someone else.  Why as women then do men expect it from us?  I will NEVER understand that. 

Merry's picture

YOU seem to be the only adult in the house. Why is that ok with you?

You love him, sure, NOW. But love is not enough to sustain this situation. Sooner or later resentment will take over and you'll wonder how you've ended up where you are.

You don't need his permission to take a trip. If he can't pay his way, he doesn't go. If he can't find child care, he doesn't go. Not your responsibility or your problem.

Winterglow's picture

"my partner is really putting a lot of parental responsibility and expectations on me"

Translation: He wants you to do the donkey work.

"dating a man with a young child means that there are just some things that he can't do"

I'm going to need a few examples here. IMO, men are quite as capable of raising their children as women are (well, those worth their salt, anyway). Women haven't cornered the market on multi-tasking.

"I get that the child comes first"

The child's needs come first, otherwise it should be your relationship that comes first.

"I would like to take a trip for my birthday and he thinks we should all go, which would be prohibitively expensive."

As he can't keep a job, I suggest you take your trip alone. Why reward bad behaviour?

"He's also not consistently working because he has to take care of his kid"

This one makes me laugh. You were a single mother, right? And I bet you fought tooth and nail to ensure you kept your job because you had children who were counting on you. So why can't he?

"always makes an excuse to quit his jobs"

You know why? Because you're there to pick up the slack. Not only does he want you to take care of his kid but he wants your money to enjoy too. He is using you on so many levels, OP ... How can you find this kind of stuff attractive. I find him pitiful.

"Whenever he is working he's constantly complaining and makes it seem like it's my fault that he's taking a job he hates"

Tell him to shut it, he has bills to pay. You are already carrying him and his kid, do you really want to listen to him whining too?

"I'm the only one consistently working, taking care of the bills, come home, cook, clean and take care of his kid"

Now, this I take HUGE exception to - he has you raising his kid, paying his bills AND being his maid, cook, launderer, and goodness knows whatever else. How can you let yourself be USED like this? 

"I don't feel he should expect me to not take a job that conflicts with his son's and his schedule"

Well, of course you effing shouldn't! How dare he even so much as suggest it? He can't keep a job and sits on his fat arse all day, not even doing the cleaning or cooking to lighten your load (from what I understand, any help you get comes from your own children) and he wants you to get a job so you can do whatever little he actually manages to drag himself out of bed/away from the tv to do? Not on your effing nelly!

"he told me we have to figure out what to do about his son after school"

No. WRONG! HE has to figure out what to do about his son after school. His son is in no way your responsibility.

"Am I wrong for putting boundaries? "

No, but you are wrong for staying. I wonder what your kids think about living in this situation. You showed them what a strong, independent woman you are while they were growing up and now you have turned into a doormat for a person who isn't fit to tie your laces. This person is not a partner, soooo not a partner, he is a used and a leech. How can you  find him even remotely attractive? 

My intention with this post is not to hurt but maybe to give you a vision of reality. You are killing yourself for someone who does not deserve you. You are worth so much more and deserve so much better. 

Winterglow's picture

Where is the child's mother in all this? Does he have his son 100% of the time?

Shymom's picture

The child's mother is a drug addict and she isn't in the child life much. But I'm honestly thinking that he is hung up on her or something. Because he is living with me like a roommate and just now told me that he can't talk to me about things because of how I talk or the way I say things.  Yet, he also said he wants to talk about her kids, his ex-step children, who have abused and threatened me in the past.  This is just unbelievable.  And when I bring that up, he says I'm flipping it back on him.  This is gaslighting and passive-aggressiveness at its finest.  I think I'm done.  If that's what he wants then that's what he can go and get back.  IDK what else to say.

Winterglow's picture

I'm not surprise you're done - who wouldn't be? I'm also glad that you completely see through him. 

There's no time like the present for making that decision! 

Please keep us posted, will you?

advice.only2's picture

So many red flags with this man, the biggest one being he can't/won't hold a job and yet expects you to care for his child.  He sounds like a real loser who finds women who are willing to support his lazy a$$ until they have enough and boot him.  Then he finds some other tender hearted victim who will take him in....lather, rinse, repeat.  This is a dead end guy, dump him.

Lifer33's picture

If you weren't around?

He'd either have to hold down a job and make arrangements for his son, or find another poor lady to carry him Sad

Shymom's picture

So yesterday I asked all of the children mine included to bring me their dishes so I can load in the dishwasher. His son brought me his but left food in them and didn't scrape them off. So I called him back and asked that he do that and rinse the dish. He went to his room and cried and told his dad the water was too hot. It was lukewarm. So we got into a big argument because his son was being disrespectful, stomping and arguing with me and I told him that wasn't acceptable. And they packed up and left. He told me I'm the one over reacting. And that he doesn't let his son get away with that. But I told him he just did. All SS has to do is cry and his dad sticks up for him or rewards his bad behavior. SS watches his dad so much and he has begun to emulate his behavior. Now he's argumentative with me and his dad let that slide. So naturally I got upset and he tried to flip it and say it was me and my kids. But it's not. They are not bad people but I feel entitled and spoiled and keep pushing my boundaries. SO is resentful I called him a stay at home dad and told me not to tell his business. So now he's saying what I can and cannot say about him.. Whatever. He said it was a joke. But I don't think he understands how toxic that behavior is. Now his son is doing it. So yeah, they are gone now. He chose leaving over changing. And I wouldn't move the boundary line. 

Winterglow's picture

I think you just struck gold! Change the locks ASAP because he's going to change his mind. Watch out for the love-bombing - it'll start as soon as he realizes what a cushy number he just threw away. Block his number and all his access to you and your family wherever you can. Stick to your guns. Congratulations for standing your ground.

Your life is about to get SO much better!

Dogmom1321's picture

"The child comes first."

IMHO, that is what is wrong with society these days. Adults have child-centric relationships and families. Making kids into entitled, selfish brats that don't understand when they don't get their way. They also get frustrated and are unable to cope when told "no." If that ever even happens. Sounds like your SO doesn't put his foot down when it comes to affection and having some kid-free time. Let me guess, the kid rules the roost?

Relationships/marriages need to come first. The best thing for parents/adults to give their children, is to model healthy communication, respect, and partnership. Your SO isn't doing this. I would most definitely NOT let them move back in.