You are here

Not sure how to handle Skids gorging on junk food

momof3stepmomof3's picture

My Skids come over and they eat bit of junk food we have in the house. The probably is DH doesn't pay attention when they sneak into the kitchen and help themselves. And I don't mind that they have some of it but SD12 will SNEAK into kitchen and eat a whole package of oreo cookies, and yes I am being very serious, A brand new package! She will eat a whole jar of Clauseen pickles in a 5 hr visit. He just laughs and says she's a pickle eater! ???? WHAT ????
If I make choc chip cookies and we tell kids they can have three (which I think is more than fair) she will sneak back in there for 5 more! I use to tell on her but just gave up, bc it doesn't do any good. Have started buying my kids snacks to hide in their room so they can have a snack here and there. Any suggestions how to handle this?

oneoffour's picture

Stop buying the junk food. Or if you buy if for yourselves, hide it at work or at the bottom of your freezer until they leave. We hid things we didn't want the kids finding in a box labelled "Taxes 2007/2008". What kid would look there? Some budding corporate accountant? Not in my family! LOL

Popping corn is the BEST! It taste divine and much healthier than m/wave popcorn. I buy it all the time and eat a potful while watching TV. It helps clean you out without the added calories.

Of course there is always the laxative cookie recipe. If they pig out they pay the cost.

You - "I told them only 1 cookie. It isn't my fault they chose to eat the entire trayful and cannot obey the rules."

Wink LOVE LOVE the laxative cookie!!! Wink
The only thing is if I hid it like that which I do a little behind my husband back, he gets all puffy about it. And it not that I don't want to share but they eat it ALL! I promise you they don't know how to stop!!!!

I cook healty meal for them everytime they are over. We are not soda drinkers, we have juice and water in frig. DH, myself and my three bio/kids are veggie eaters, so we always have fresh veggies/fruits in the house 24/7. The thing is Skids choose not to eat those things, and the sneak and it the junkfood. I have my bio/kids with me 24/7 and I don't think I should punish them bc skids gorge out on junkfood 24/7. I think a little junkfood is fine in moderation. My children always use their manners and ask before getting junkfood, and they no their limit of two or three cookies, and they a very content with this. I don't have to worry about them eating the whole package. I think they should learn to limit themselves, DH just ignores the situation, and when goes to get himself a oreo and they are gone....I say well ur kids were here today!

the_stepmonster's picture

My skids will sniff out that junk out so fast you will have forgotten you bought it. We bought them sandwich fixings with a couple of bags of chips to eat for the week. No lie, SD 9 ate an entire family sized pack of chips on the first day. I then reminded her those were their chips for the entire week and since they couldnt portion correctly, I am not going to purchase more. I typically try to just not have junk food in the house when they are there since I know it wont last. I used to try and keep some low fat snacks like sugar free popsicles so that at least they aren't eating a bunch of sugar, but those are gone in a day so I gave up.

LOL....if the skids start smuggling food in like that....I'm just calling it quits!! Thats too funny!!!! I will tell you that when I went to make up beds one day, I found a stash of halloween candy we put up bc 8 kids went trick or treating can u imagine the candy we had???!!!!???. Anyway, SD12 had about 50 pieces of candy and about 50 pieces of just wrappers she had laid in bed and ate candy all night long!!!! (oh this was like two wks after halloween)

the_stepmonster's picture

Hilarious! I agree. If they want to eat junk so bad they have to smuggle it, so be it. I give up at that point!

I know this is awful to say, but I swear out of the 4 girls we are raising ..... in my mind she (sd12)will be the first one knocked up, drunk and doing drugs. And my one of BD who is only 6 thinks she's cool....and it drives me nuts! She not someone I want my 6yr old to look to or act like either. And I tell her too! Excuse me young lady, please tell me you didn't just make a SD12 comment to me??!!! She corrects herself immediately!

Auteur's picture

I predict this too for GG's PASed out daughter "Venus De Milo" or VD for short. She'll be 13 in November. Has been failing grade school since 2nd grade. Mommykins tells her she doesn't have to do her homework, classwork, or anything that isn't "easy."

If she plays a game and isn't winning in the first five seconds she immediately starts cheating.

You think I should not let the other 3 have snacks when they eat is appropriately? They dont gorge out on it, they actually eat it as a snack??? I just don't think its fair to the other kids!

Auteur's picture

You guys are giving me FLASHBACKS!!

GG (biodad I live with) NEVER had or enforced a set schedule. It was whenever the Behemoth (BM) felt like a vacay from the free-ranged brat pack (which was usually EVERY weekend)

GG was overjoyed to buy them junk from the second he picked them up (Behemoth NEVER provided transport) to the time their pudgy little faces were dropped off.

The only way I knew they were at my house was the trail of candy wrappers from the skidmobile (minivan) to the front doorstep.

GG demanded that I have several candy bowls filled to the rim with their fav candy at all times during his disneydad days (the first four years or so) Reeses peanut butter cups, hershey's milk chocolate, etc.

Then he'd wonder why they wouldn't even eat their specially prepared "kid friendly" junk food meals usually consisting of one or several of the following:

Kraft dinnner (brand name only mac 'n' cheese)
Kids Kuisine (frozen junk food tv dinners for kids)
Cheese Pizza
Hot dog/Hamburg plain with no grill marks
(brand name hotdog/hamburg rolls only)
Chicken Mcnuggets
Doritos
Beverage: chocolate milk (very little milk/all chocolate syrup) or diet coke

Then he'd reward them with whole packages of oreos, chips ahoy, mountainous bowls of chocolate ice cream with choco syrup and choco sprinkles just before bedtime.

In fact the youngest, Prince Hygiene (SS 8 1/2) PASed out two years ago over MEATLOAF!!!

Refused to eat any homecooked meal that wasn't junk food and so therefore, never came back for visitation again. Heard NOTHING from the PASinator Behemoth and her entire family clan.

hismineandours's picture

I dont really think it is about the food itself. Therefore it wont help much if you stop buying the junk. MY ss13 has always had food issues-by food issues I mean when he was younger (from age 2 up) he would sneak into the kitchen in the middle of the night and gorge himself-on whatever appeared sugary. He would eat boxes of jello (just the sugar), packages of instant oatmeal (again not cooked)-this continued until he moved out at 9.

At 5 he would eat an entire box of Little Debbie snack cakes and then vomit. He doesnt really do this anymore; however, as soon as he arrives at our home he has to eat. Right then. Immediately. It doesnt matter what time it is nor does it even matter what there is to eat. He will eat bananas, apples, peanut butter crackers, soup. So it isnt even a junk food issue at our house but it is tiresome that he always is eating. He has a meltdown if he does not have 3 distinct full meals daily. If he sleeps in til 11 am and we are eating lunch at 11:30 then he still expects a separate breakfast at 11:05 and then the full, big lunch at 11:30. If we are traveling he will tantrum unless we stop for these 3 distinct separate meals plus he must have snacks every hour or so. it's just constant. We've picked him up at 5pm before and gone out to a nice, big dinner. By the time we get home at 7pm he expects another meal-not even a snack-but a whole meal.

I could hypothesize that it is about attachment issues-and it probably is-but I dont even care I just know it is freaking annoying. The bizarre thing is that this kid is super small. he is 13, but looks more like 9. He in fact wears a size 8 in boys clothes.

With my own three kids, I am like the others-I shop once a week-if you eat the snacks then i guess they are gone til next week. My kids all have "favorite" things they like so I dont even do the separate stashes. I just buy them one of their favorites and leave it at that.

alwaysanxious's picture

Yeah, my SO never thought a thing about the crap the skids eat. Now SD15 is chunky. In 2 years she'll be obese you can see it. SS11 isn't only because he is outdoors playing something from sunup to sundown.

There really isn't much you can do. If he is controlling what they eat, he will keep doing it. Take care of your health and your eating. Thats the best you can do.