You are here

SD is so clingy/over affectionate

Camoham's picture

Hi, first time poster. 
We're a blended family of my son (10) who we coparent with successfully with his dad/stepmum. SD is 7 and we have our own son who is 2. I met SD when she was 2. 

SD's mum is unhinged, tries to send SD over with items of her clothing doused in perfume, makes her sneaks teddies in (she has loads of teddies here already), insists on being invited to any parties we have for SD (unsuccessfully!), and is very on off with her partner who she's moved in and out with. She's lived in 5 different houses in 5 years. 

SD is a very good girl, she really is, BUT she literally thinks she can do no wrong. She constantly needs to be sat on daddy, and tends to follow him around the house. She'll rarely seek me out for help, only her dad. That aside, I signed up to here because this morning hubby and I were messing around and when he was pretending to dislike my kiss (I'd just drank tea, he hates tea), she stroked him and kissed him like a child?!!! She does it with my 2yr old which I get, he's a baby, girls love babies - but to do it to her dad? She did it twice, and he ignored it as he hates stuff like that and didn't know how to respond - but, is it weird? Normal? 

Rags's picture

SD is a Minion of BM.  Set and enforce the standards of behavior and performance in your home.  
Keep it simple.

Survivingstephell's picture

He is her parent and needs to tell her that's inappropriate for any behavior that's inappropriate.  Parallel parenting will help too. What happens with BM stays at BM.  We do things this way in daddy's house.  

If he doesn't correct her she is on the road to teenage parenting.  Does he want to be a young grandpa?   Does he want a divorce because he shirks his duties as a parent?  If he doesn't step it up, it will drive you crazy.   He owes it to as your life partner to uphold your relationship as the most important priority.  Kids are a responsibility.  

Winterglow's picture

She's still developing and it's up to your dh to teach her proper behaviour. She knows it's ok with the toddler and it probably never occurred to her that you can't do it to everyone.

It's a GOOD thing that she runs to her father when she wants something - that's his job