You are here

Specific details of Disengaging

PinkSuperMom's picture
Forums: 

I am new to disengaging but definitely think it's for me. However, I would like specific examples. How far do I go? What is too far? My SO is raising his grandson, age 13. I have already raised my boys (22 & 18). Any advice and suggestions are welcome. A LOT!!!!

PinkSuperMom's picture

Tips and help on actually "lettin it go" also appreciated. That is hard for me. Health and happiness suffering.

tog redux's picture

So for me, the idea is that you are not this child's parent and have zero responsibility for him. Your SO should be the primary parent at all times. Any help you give is voluntary and not forced, through guilt or anything else. 

I never was a parent to my SS. I didn't cook for him or clean up after him (my DH is the cook in our house anyway). I occasionally transported him, helped with homework and watched him, but those occasions were rare and I chose to do it to help DH. 

I did not discipline him. I did let DH know if SS did something wrong so HE could discipline. Essentially, I was like a fun aunt, and not a parent. I was lucky though, my DH didn't want me to parent his son, and he was a good parent with boundaries and limits. 

Harry's picture

It's up to you for the extent you want to disengage.  One you are not the parent, you do no parent things, you are not the maid so you do no maid thing ect, No cooking, cleaning up, no babysitter for GS.  It's all up to your SO.  None of your money goes to GS in any way shape or form.  
No transportation for GS.  He GS is like a ship in the night. You say hello, good by. And talk to your GF.  Unfortunately this relationship is not going to work unless SO is ok with this. 

PinkSuperMom's picture

SO is fine with me disengaging. We had an agreement.... "You raise yours, I raise mine." But SO is a farmer/rancher and not in house much. GS farms with him most time. But... GS makes stuff to eat and makes mess. Shower (once forced to) and mess/water in bathroom. SO sez all he cares about is teaching GS to work and make a living. Cleaning up isnt a concern to him. BUT... this is still MY home too. So I have to let my house be a mess cuz I cant say anything to GS??

simifan's picture

You absolutely do not have to let the house be a mess. You let DH know you expect him to take care of it. If he feels GS doesn't have to clean - that's fine but he better do it. You are not maid service. If bth don't clean... you hire maid service & expect DH pay for it. 

You decide what you feel comfortable with doing and what you do not.

PinkSuperMom's picture

Im starting to have my major headaches again, like I did when I was married to ex. I cant keep missing work like this. And I also hate the extreme pain! I think I need to see therapist.

Example:  The trash can was over flowing and GS just lays empty box on top!!  I looked at it and sed REALLY??  SO sed I will take care of it... I been outside workin for 12 hrs , I havent gotten to it yet.

I sed Not the point.  He sed I dont mind doin it. I sed Again, not the point! We arent talkin about a damn 3yo!!

I cant let that stuff go, inside me. To me, not teaching GS a darn thing!! And that stuff eats at me, dramatically. How do I make myself not care that SO isnt parenting, at all?? I worry about GS and his future!! I cant help it. 

Rags's picture

Unfortunately, as with most parenting issues, there is no set criteria for effective disengagement.

Some take the all in cold turkey approach. Others take the intermittent or phased approach on a select number of issues.  And anywhere in between.

I personally am not a fan of disengagement. I am a zero tolerance, all in,  total confrontation SParent.  If behavior and performance were not acceptable, I confronted it.  I did  not get into the "like or not to like" my Skid head space.  It was all about his behavioral and performance choices. The three of us have always been very close.

Now for the SpermClan, I detested then whole sale and still do.  When they stepped out of line, my DW and I brought pain and destruction down on them like lightening from above.

My SS turned out to be an outstanding man of character, honor, and performance in his life. Unlike his three younger also out of wedlock Spermidiot spawned half sibs by two other baby mamas.  One is barely keeping her nose above water, the next is in prison for felony burglary while carrying a firearm, and the youngest is not far behind.

My DW and I never accepted failure as an option for our kid (my former SS who asked me to adopt him when he was 22).

If either his mom or I had disengaged, it is not unlikely that our son would have gone down the same path followed by the shallow ands polluted end of his gene pool.

Where are the GSkid's parents btw?

PinkSuperMom's picture

Mom is long gone.... dad is SO's son, and lives around the corner on our farm.  However, he takes no parental responsibility for GS and never has, from day one.  He just was gone basically, and Gma was gone out of town all week at work so SO/Gpa had GS with him, farming, from day kid was born, practically.  It's a frigged up situation, for sure.  I'm gonna start therapy... this guy is AMAZING, but the situation SUCKS.  But.... I know others have things much worse off than I do.  I apologize for sounding like a whiner.  

Loxy's picture

Disengaging is very hard to do when their actions impact you on a regular (if not daily basis). I have two skids that are now teenagers and I've been actively involved in their lives for 14 years now. I love SS but have never been able to bond with SD and in order to preserve my mental health, have started partially disengaging from her. 

I don't feel that full disengagement is possible, it's too big a change after so many years of high/active involvement. I now get SD to ask DH for permission to go anywhere and DH does the majority of driving her around to social functions etc. The biggest change however has been in my attitude. I've stopped stressing about the outcomes for SD. She's doing very poorly at school, not my problem. She can't keep friends for very long, not my problem. She clearly has a range of undiagnosed conditions, not my problem. Her life, her choice and she can deal with the consequences of her decisions. 

This is where I think you need to get to - ie accepting that how SGS turns out is not your responsiblity and not something you should take on your shoulders and stress about. Counselling will help. 

PinkSuperMom's picture

Yes, I agree that it's basically my problem to deal with .... I have to learn to "not care/not my problem".  Maybe I need to try to think of it as a "neighbor's kid" kinda thing.... I don't stress or worry about what other people are or aren't teaching their kids.  That's their problem if they screw up their kids or unleash assholes on society.  It is obviously more difficult as it's "in my face" whereas I don't see the neighbors or their kids in their own homes.  But it's the only way my Rancher and I will make our relationship work and last.  I appreciate everything you all have said and advised me.  "Coping" tips are also appreciated.  I don't know how I'd have gotten thru the last week without you all.  Grateful.