You are here

Really in need of advice

cmw23's picture

My husband and I have been dealing with his exes drama for years. She has been mentally unstable since I've known her, which is over 9 years now. My husband has tried to give her the benefit of the doubt for a long time, but recently he has come to the conclusion that she is not fit to raise their daughter. A week ago bm called my husband late at night and asked him to come get their 10 year old daughter because she couldn't handle her anymore. She said that she wanted sd to live with us and that she would get all of the documents that we needed to transfer schools. Bm claims that sd has been a problem for her and her fiance, which I believe is total crap. My husband and I never have problems from her, she is a good kid. If sd has any behavioral problems it is because of all of the mess that bm has put sd through since she has been born. Bm is married to and has 2 other children with a man who is currently serving a life sentence for murdering a cop, but she is also currently living with another man who she has another child with. I feel so bad for sd because she has been around to see all of the chaos. My husband has always wanted to keep sd with her mother and continue visitation on the weekends because dh knows how much sd loves her mother, but dh has had enough. After bm threw sd out sd has become completely detached from her and sd has started to reveal to dh and I just how terrible things were for her at home. Unfortunatley, dh was more shocked than I was. Bm has done a wonderful job of creating this image of herself as always being a victim. Bm has gone out of her way to make sd look like a lier to everyone and that sd is making up everything about her and the fiance. No one believes poor sd except for dh and I. I don't believe children are that imaginative to makeup half of the things sd has told us. Dh and I have been more than willing to take over primary care of sd, but now bm has thought about child support and has had a change of heart. She wants dh and I to send sd back home with her, but we just can't do that to her after finding out how terrible things are over there. We've also found out that she has got herself into some legal trouble as well, along with the fiance. I'm just afraid that if we keep sd that dh and I will get into trouble. Sd has already missed days of school for the past week since she has been here because bm refuses to transfer her. What can we do at this point. We really will be hurt to have to send her back. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice given.