You are here

Grr . . . General Frustration

doll faced sm's picture

So, today is Friday which means we are now closing out the first week of home summer school. I am really getting frustrated.

I have never been good at biology terms; I get the big picture, but when we're talking ribosomes, vacuoles, and stroma, well, I've always gotten kinda lost. DD is struggling with the terms a little, but in all honest, doing much better than I did going over the same material in 9th grade. And to think, I was worried it might be too rough for her. Nope, it's rough for *me*. She can now lable and define all parts of both cells. Well, bowl me over!

On the flip side, math has always been my thing with Trig being my weakest point in it. Apparently, this year they are expected to expand their knowledge of geometry among other things. To me, this should be super simple, but the kiddo is really having a hard time with it. She is still struggling with simple concepts like what it means for two lines to intersect. Today, her opening math teaser was to explain why all squares are rhombuses, but not all rhombuses are squares. She got so upset, she actually started to pitch a fit! I gave her a minute to calm down and asked her if she ever acted that way in school. She said once or twice last year. *sigh* That was disapointing news to hear. Back to the math - we went over the definition of the two several times with me prompting her, but not telling her the answer. She *still* didn't get it. Finally, I just told her the answer and then moved it to why a square was always a rectangle, but not all rectangles are squares. She was able to answer, but by then she was so mad and frustrated that the rest of the lesson was practically like talking to a brick wall. I could tell she was only half listening and was purposely putting up a wall.

Oh well, I guess it's a good thing she wants to be a veteranarian and not a statistician.

stepmonster76's picture

hahaha... I try helping my SD but when she gets frustrated.. I get frustrated....and no more homework help..!