You are here

DH bad with money

doll faced sm's picture

Somehow, my DH managed to charge over $1,000 to his cc last month - can only account for about half of it. I can see the places but not the items. Based on the amounts, though, I'm guessing they were fast food and/or gas store food purchases. He almost always comes home with fast food wrappers in his vehicle claiming that so-and-so owed him and bought him lunch.

We will be moving soon, and are selling some furniture beforehand. Today, one guy came to pick up several pieces and paid DH. We had some old wrought iron frame end table and coffee table that we sold for scrap metal. All in all, it was a good day today. We had agreed already that a certain amount was going to pay the elec. bill this month, but we ended up enough left over stop and get lunch, or so I thought. We were headed in what I thought was the direction of a cheapy place when DH makes a turn to go to his barber's. I asked where we were going and he informs me he needs a hair cut. Ok, that means we no longer have the money to go out for lunch.

DH is in the living room pouting right now and ignoring me.

Did I mention that the stuff we sold was all mine, none of his?

I could just scream right now, I'm so mad.

NYStep30's picture

DH is bad with money. So, I handle all of the finances. I ay the bills, give him his weekly money, budget big purchases, etc... If I left it up to him, our bills would never be paid! He got a low limit CC and charged it up the first month. Nowi only pay $40 a month on it so that's all he can charge. Maybe your DH will agree to something similar?

doll faced sm's picture

I tried that. He started secretly transferring money from my checking acct (used for bills) to his checking acct (used for him). My acct has been overdrawn so many times because I'll pay a bill, and before the company has time to process the payment DH will transfer funds. The rent check has bounced so many times at this point that our landlords will only take a cashier's check directly from our bank.

doll faced sm's picture

In the future, I fully plan to do this. For right now, however, I am a full time student, and he is the primary bread-winner. He out-earns me $5:$1

krazykaty's picture

Maybe go see a financial planner. I'm the spender, DH is the saver. I'm getting better because the financial planner helped us set a budget that we can live with that also helps us save for the future. The eating out (sit down restaurants not fast food) was never a big thing to my DH and initially one of the "extras" he wanted to cut from our budget. Did I mention he does NONE of the cooking? or the grocery shopping? To me, eating out was a big thing - it gave me a huge break! We agreed that he would do all the grocery shopping and we would eat out once or twice a month. I'm not big on having my car cleaned weekly, but to DH it's very important. He'll clean it himself weekly and once every 6-8 weeks, he'll have it professionally detailed. I think working this way was easier for us to cut back without feeling like one of us was a child and the other a parent or feeling punished.