You are here

Jealous Step Daughter

SleepingBeauty's picture

I have been with my partner for almost 8 years, we don't live together, for fiancial reasons but mostly because of his daughter. While his son and can happily be around eachother his daughter is jealous and very resentful of me. I picked up on this problem the very first time I met her, 7 years ago when she was 5, but my partner brushed it of and ignored it. If any one has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Every time she came over I would say hello and ask how her weekend was or how her netball games were going, but she would either ignore me or just run out of the room like she hadn't heard me. If I was having a conversation with my partner she would stand in front of me and talk over the top of me. If I was holding his hand she would pull my hand out of his so he could hold hers in stead. when we were sitting on the couch together holding hands she would sit on his lap and try to push my hand out of his, often scratching me in the process. I always was expected to prepare a seperate meal for her than every one else because she refused to eat anything, even though I know her mother never allowed her to get away with that behaviour. She told he mother I make no effort to talk to her, that I make up rules and yell and scream at them. 

Thier mother would bombard my partner with messages, calling me names and insulting both of us. Things got so bad that I broke things of whith him 4 years ago. Then we got back together, but I didn't see the kids for at least 2 years, until I felt our relationship had inproved and he assured me he was going to do better with the kids. 

She is now 12, when we are together she refuses to say hello to me and generally has an angry face whenever she sees me. she hides out in her room and refuses to come out. We can here her laughing while she face times her friends in her room but as soon as she steps out she is grumpy.

He father has tried talking to her but she refuses to respond and just says she doesn't trust me. Last year she made up some stroy that 6 years ago I apparently lied to her father and told him that she got angry at me and said "you're not my mother, you can't tell me what to do" and that's why she dosen't trst me. Even though that never happened I wrote her a letter saying I was sorry and I must have misheard what she said and I wanted to be friends. She ignored the letter

Again any advice would be much appreciated. Thank You

Kes's picture

I think you're very wise not to live with your partner when there is this degree of hostility from a SKID.   I think it was a mistake on your part to write a letter to SD saying you're sorry for something you didn't do, but that she lied about.  What I would do in your place is make absolutely zero effort to establish any sort of communication with this obnoxious girl.   Your partner isn't exactly helping, either, is he?  "Tried talking to her" doesn't really cut it.  Every time she is rude or sullen with you he should have come down on her head like the wrath of goddess.   Going forward, I would pretend the girl doesn't exist.  Say hello when she comes into the house, but then nothing.  No polite enquiries about her or what she has been doing, just nothing. No birthday presents or Xmas presents, if you have been in the habit of getting these.  The most I do for my two (now adult) SDs is sign the card that DH buys.  Do not cook her any meals - if you all eat together then your partner can cook.  Don't make yourself uncomfortable so that your partner can feel comfortable. I would also suggest you read "Stepmonster" by Wednesday Martin. 

SleepingBeauty's picture

Thank you for your response.

I guess what you are saying is that I need to be stronger when talking to my partner about her and insit that he stop spoiling her and start setting rules and boundaries and always speak up when she misbehaves.

I will try, not really sure how he will take it. He is a 'keep the peace' kind of person, but it's really not good enough any more. If she is like this at 12 how bad will she be when she is 18?

Part of me understands he only gets to see them every other weekend but the other part of me understands it is his lack of parenting that has resulted in her behaviour and this is going to affect her well into adulthood. 

Rags's picture

Never, ever apologize to a lying, manipulative,  POS manipulative failed family progeny... no matter what. Ever. Period. Dot.

Quit accommodating her crap and adopt a zero tolerance total misery perspective with her.  The misery being delivered by you for her to live.

SleepingBeauty's picture

You're right Rags, I regret apologising for it already, and I won't be doing it again. If she wan't to hide out in her room, I will let her, it's her own fault she is missing out on time with her dad. 

Thank you

shamds's picture

"I don't have the balls to lay down the law!!"

believe me when i was 3 yrs into being married and 2 kids together and told hubby i was done that we were getting a divorce because he was a pathetic husband and dad who had no balls to set his kid straight, the next time his adult ss came back from college hubby picked him up.

that lazy disrespectful piece of shit was bleaching and cleaning his mouldy bedroom and bathroom within the hour, lost the right to lock his door and his dad could walk in to check on him without knocking.

that car ride home for ss back from college wasn't a pleasant one. Its funny how much difference there is when the father grows a pair and rains down like thor on his kid!!

Winterglow's picture

OK, from the top:

"she would either ignore me or just run out of the room like she hadn't heard me"

She may not be your child but you should absolutely have called her out on her rudeness. What would a teacher do in the same situation? Or any other adult. Direct rudeness gets a direct response.

"she would stand in front of me and talk over the top of me"

Nope, zero tolerance for that. "Wait your turn, child, the adults are talking." Seeing as your partner is too much of a wimp to do it. Again, what would a teacher do?

"she would pull my hand out of his so he could hold hers in stead"

And why does he tolerate this? Sitting on daddy's lap at age is kinda creepy. Next time, take a photo and show it to him later ... ask him if he'd mind if you posted it on FB. And if she tries to take his hand out of yours, hang on for grim death. If he won't put her in her place, then it's up to you to establish yourself as the alpha female. 

"I always was expected to prepare a seperate meal for her"

Don't do it any more. She eats what is made for everyone. If your partner wants to cook something else for her then let him BUT make sure he understands how insulting that is to you - not only is your food not good enough but he lets his get cold while preparing something else for his princess. If he does it again after that, just stop cooking for both of them. They don't deserve it.

"She told he mother I make no effort to talk to her, that I make up rules and yell and scream at them."

So she's a liar too... bravo to the parents.

"Thier mother would bombard my partner with messages, calling me names and insulting both of us."

There are several ways round this. One is to refuse to answer text and phone messages and to insist on email only. A clear statement of his intentions to do this must be made in advance. Then he has to follow through. OR, he insists on getting Our Family Wizard for all communication between them (it can be court-ordered). But he doesn't have to sit there and take her abuse.

"he assured me he was going to do better with the kids."

And does he? Or is he still the same spineless wimp when faced with his precious princess? What progress has he made? 

"He father has tried talking to her"

And that helps how? What about discipline? What are the consequences for her appalling behaviour? Does he realize what kind of a monster his non-parenting is producing? 

"I wrote her a letter saying I was sorry"

I think the other posters have been quite clear about what a monumental error this was.

Stop giving the brat any kind of power. Treat her like you would any other kid.  If she wants to park her bum in her bedroom 24/7 then let her. If she wears her "angry face" all the time, maybe tell her what my parents used to say "if the wind changes when you're wearing that face, it will stick and you'll be stuck wearing it for the rest of your life". Smile When she sulks, kill her with kindness.  Oh, and tell your partner that it's time he started actually parenting her rather than pandering to, and coddling her. Remind him that the purpose of parenting is to raise a decent human being, not to make them think they're the kings/queens of the world and better than everyone else. 

SleepingBeauty's picture

Thank you

You said everything that I have been thinking. There have been a few minor improvments with how he treats the kids as in; a few weeks ago I made SD's favourite, sushi with tuna and avocado and when she refused to eat with us he told her to make herself some poridge. She stormed around the kitchen making as much noise as she could but he didn't giver any attention. Last weekend when she refused to come out of her room he went in there and told her that her attitude sucks. However he also said that was as far as he was going to push the issue, after 7  years I don't think this is a big enough change. He needs to lay down the law with her. I'm going to have to work on communication and start standing up for myself, both with the kid and my partner. I will definitely be taking your advice *smile*

Winterglow's picture

By the way, can you cut off access to wifi or the internet so that she can sit, bored to tears, in her bedroom? 

Your partner really needs to learn about consequences. I don't have any books to suggest but I'm pretty sure than others here can help with that.

Rags's picture

Inform him that the days of ball-less parenting are over in your marriage and he either steps up and gets it done or you will. And neither he nor his rude, loud, disrespectful, nasty spawn will like it when you have to deal with the crap he is ignoring.

Then deliver the misery.

Lather................. rinse............... repeat.

Diablo

hereiam's picture

So, your partner has raised a disrespectful little brat and gives her no consequences.

Just because he only sees them EOWE doesn't mean he shouldn't be their parent and not their pal.

If I was having a conversation with my partner she would stand in front of me and talk over the top of me. If I was holding his hand she would pull my hand out of his so he could hold hers in stead. when we were sitting on the couch together holding hands she would sit on his lap and try to push my hand out of his, often scratching me in the process.

And your partner did NOTHING when these things went on?

If he's not going to give her consequences, I would be giving him consequences. And I would absolutely be calling her out, myself. If he won't demand that she have respect for you, as an adult, then you should do it, yourself. If he has a problem with that, he obviously doesn't have any respect for you, either.

Maybe breaking up with him was the right thing to do. If you peruse this site, you will see that when these kinds of SDs turn into adults, it just gets worse.

simifan's picture

You've put up with this crappy treatment for 8 years, you've set the pattern you are okay with being second rate to his special snowflake. He has TOLD you he is unwilling to address the issue. Personally, I would move on. Things are very unlikely to change at this point. 

SteppedOut's picture

This. I hate it for you OP, but you have kept this going at least 7 years longer than you should have. 

Do you think her behavior will change "once she is 18 and moves out". What do you envision it being like going to her wedding (if you are invited) or when/if she has k8ds of her own ans your SO is the doting grandfather...and you are...? 

You are setting yourself up to be treated like crap foe the rest of your life. 

Dogmom1321's picture

Don't feel any guilt. You've done nothing wrong. SD seems like a miserable person and always will be.

Kaylee's picture

OP, your man has done very little to address the situation in 7 years. 

So he's unlikely to do much more from now on. I think you need to define to yourself what sort of a relationship you want. As other posters have said, you could completely disengage from the brat, stay in your own place and just date him. But don't hold out any hope that when she reaches 18, 21, whatever, that things will magically improve and she'll launch and be independent.

Because she very likely WON'T. 

If you want a relationship with a view to living together in peace and harmony then I don't think this is the man for you.

Kaylee's picture

Also, it's actually a physical turn off to see a grown man cowed by his daughter/mini wife. Let me tell you that from experience. 

A spineless guy who can't find his balls and lets his Princess walk all over him, rule the roost and call all the shots, is NOT sexy at all.

SleepingBeauty's picture

I would like to say thank you to every one for your brutal honesty. Reaing your post which 100% agree with what I have been thiking has helped me to feel confident again.

When I first started dating my partner I used to speak up when thing like this happened. However everyone I know, friends family and the kids mum told me I was over reacting as they are just kids and the kids needs always come first. So over the years I lost confidence, kept quiet and allowed this stuff to happen.

I took notes from your comments and spoke with my partner. He has agreed it is no longer appropriate for his daught to be sitting on his lap or holding his hand and has spoken to her about it. He also says it's fine if I speak up for myself when she misbehaves as he trust me, and believe me I will be speaking up from now on. Is SD doesn't like the food I make then she can make herself poridge and clean up after herself.

As for his ex we have agreed he will message the kids on thier ipads directly instead of thier mother and if she sends up angry messages, we will not respond and block her if she becomes a problem again.

I feel that my partner was happy that I spoke up, and it feels like we are more of a team now. Of course I will have to see if he actually commits to all of these things or if things go back to the way they were in a few months, in which case I believe it will be time for me to move on from this relationship.

Thank you to every one who responded 

Winterglow's picture

I'm glad this turned out well for you and that your partner is supportive  :) 

As for those who said that a kids needs come first - yes, Iagree but butting in on a conversation isn't a need, sitting on her father's lap isn't a need, etc. 

Rags's picture

It is a great thing that you had the confidence and character to speak, and he had the confidence and character to listen.

Just be ready to follow up with "don't tell me, show me" if he fails to follow through and if the SKid pushes the boundaries.

Take care of you.

weightedworld's picture

OMG you are giving me a glimpse of my life. Though I've backed her out of my life I know the issue is still there I just don't have to watch the shit show anymore Biggrin ahhh this makes me feel so much better. 

Screw POS fathers and their bitches of daughters.