You are here

Help, my Stepson is driving us apart

privacyrequired's picture

16 year old with Asperger’s is driving us apart.

I know there are two sides to each story, but this is my attempt to portray my feelings in a very upsetting situation.

Hi everyone, I’m at the end of my tolerance with my family and I’m at the point where I’m seriously considering moving out.  I love my Wife and our marriage but to be frank, I can’t stand the person my eldest Stepson has become over the past few years.

We’ve been together for ten years and married for six years.  There are two boys in the family from my Wife’s first marriage.  My own Son is grown up and left home.  My eldest Stepson is vastly complex with confirmed diagnoses of Asperger’s, Gender Dismorphia, Eating Disorder, depression and now a new one around not being to follow authoritative instructions.

Although born male he uses the pronoun he/her and identifies as female.  Outwardly he appears as female.

His Mum was abused as a child by her Mother by being raised under a barbed wire whip.  She was abused by her Mother with no Father.

I’ve often said to my Wife that she overindulges him in compensation for her own upbringing.  Agreed, she never wants her kids to experience what she did, but she has gone to the opposite extreme and now allows her kids complete freedom around decisions, even if they are clearly detrimental to them.  It’s not anywhere near as bad with the youngest, but the eldest it appears as complete autonomy is given to him.  I’ve asked her if she feels guilty that he has these conditions.  The response is no, but I’m convinced that has to be in there.

It’s his behaviour that has become worse over recent years.  I know teens will push boundaries, that’s what they do, but this is very different.  It’s constant, ceaseless, never ending.  Sometimes very small things, others are huge.  Small things like not doing his jobs or not tidying his room.  Fairly normal teen stuff.  Huge stuff like sexting, sexual harassment and other illicit stuff on social media; this has happened twice, both with Police and Social Services involved.  I work on military projects so I was obliged to tell my employer of a potential security issue.  I was not impressed and highly embarrassed.

My Wife is so lenient with him and I’m seen as the nasty disciplinarian.  Just last week I had to intervene and restrain my Wife from knocking him into next week.  I know she feels the despair too, but I think she makes things worse than they ought to be.  This was the first and only time in ten years I’ve witnessed this.  From here I was expecting it hoping for sanctions to be given so that he would learn that he can’t treat his Mum like that.  So, next morning, my Wife has calmed down and she’s apologising to him for her behaviour (yes, she was wrong and an apology was needed).  But he apologised and was then instantly allowed to go out with friends.  I was livid, I expressed that to her but was told that I’m a stay back Stepfather and that discipline is her responsibility.  

We had a big fall out/argument where I’m clearly told that they are her kids and her responsibility.

He has a mobile phone. Quite why given his antics on the internet, I don’t believe he deserves a smart phone.  Dumb phone for emergencies perhaps, but when we confiscated the phone after the first police visit he played absolute hell, stole my Wife’s iPad, manipulated his useless Father into using the internet despite his Father knowing the situation and the risks.

So after a short time (can’t remember how long) he’s got his phone back and he’s continuing his unhealthy obsession with social media.  I put an app called screen time on the phone to supervise internet access.  I set it to 3 hours per day of internet access and calls and texts are unlimited for emergencies.  He never phones or texts friends, that’s reserved for family only.  My changed the settings around the begging of covid and ever since he will spend an average, yes average of 12 hours or more in some cases on the internet.  All social media.

He walks in the house, throws his bag down, mutters a hello and races up the stairs to his room.  He’s on the internet for hours, appears at the call for dinner and then back upstairs on the internet again, having barely uttered a word to anyone.  My Wife and I have spoke and fallen out over this many times.  I think it’s unhealthy and is contributing to his depression.  The response I’m faced with every time is that she knows what he’s doing.  At least he’s not running off, accessing other peoples (friends and Fathers) devices.  Kind of better the devil you know.  So now he’s firmly obsessed and in several years of habit of having the internet via his phone whenever he wants it.

I’m of the belief that nothing is this world is free and things like privileges must be earned.  Old fashioned perhaps, but true nevertheless.  So I’ve now introduced a system whereby if he wants mobile data he must earn it by doing basic jobs.  Washing up, hoovering etc.  I spoke to my Wife about this, but only after I’d told him first.  It was within my limited power, it wasn’t unfair nor unreasonable and so I told her in the same way she tells my.  In a kind of out of the loop or retrospective way.  She didn’t like that, told me it wasn’t my place too and that disciplining was her responsibility.  I pointed out that this was not disciplining, it was parenting.  Tough love to prepare kids for life out in the real world.

Now I’ve been branded as a control freak who needs to shut the f@&£ up and leave him alone.  Not by Wife, but from written vent by my Stepson that I found.  My Wife’s been away all weekend so I looked after the household on my own.  I’m more than capable and willing, just a different style.  I found this vent whilst she was away and spoke to her about it when she got back.  Turns out she new about and it was written just after I had to restrain her about a week ago.  It seemed to me that these kind of conversations have been taking place between the two of them.  I already feel excluded by the two of them, he knows he’s on to an easy life with his Mum and with me the boundaries are set and unlikely to move.  I feel he is divisive  and he certainly has resentment of me around his Father (his Father abused him).  He can be positively nasty to his younger brother, not so much now as he barely speaks to anyone but his Mum or his friends.  The house is a B&B to him.  His apparent sense of entitlement is massive as has been shown with the mobile phone and data.

I’ve come to hate the atmosphere in the home, I work late deliberately and at weekends I hope that he will be staying with his friends.  On that note, he stays with his friends around twice a week.  Most probably to avoid me.

I know that should be blessing to me in that he’s out of the house, but it no longer feels that.

It’s all coming between my Wife and I, on a more regular basis too.  I don’t want to loose her as I hope to to spend years to come with her.  To that end I’ve been holding on to the fact that he will be leaving home at some point.  I’ve no idea when that might be, could be that because of his conditions and behaviours he’ll never be independent and may need care/supervision.

I’m asking myself if I should be living elsewhere.  That’s hard as I know living elsewhere will put a different strain on our relationship that I don’t know while survive it.  I’m feeling lost, very lonely and very uncertain.

Thanks in advance

S

EveryoneLies's picture

I wish I have some good advice, but I don't. This situation is difficult, I'm going through similar things (minus the complaining to Bio parent part). For me this is a journey to learn to let your spouse take care of their own child(ren). They might not turn out like you wish them to be, this is so hard to swallow, but I have to remind myself every so often.  (And not always successful i must say) In other words..you need your wife to be in your team first before anything progress can be done. 

I have the similar belief like yours (nothing comes free, you should earn what you want). Some parents however don't agree with this, and...if their kids fail to launch because of this, that is what those parents have chosen, and that will be the problem that they will have to fix when it happens. It seems to me like your wife doesn't really agree or support what you do to discipline her son. This is only making it more difficult for you. (My DH and I are on the same page most of the time and it is still damn difficult)

Your SS is already 16, is there a plan for him to move out after he turns 18? 

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Theres no plan. He sit his exams this month.  He's struggled all the way through school and with two years of lockdowns is now behind by 2 years in schooling.  He has decided to give up with his education and refuses to revise or study.  By law he will need to resit English and maths if doesn't get the required grades.  That's means another two years of college in a group he'll hate and I see that he will refuse to go to college leaving him with no qualifications.

He wants a job in travel and tourism, holiday rep.  But with no qualifications I can't see how he'll get there and he has no plan, no drive, no willingness to be incentivised.

The future is hard for anyone, for him it's already bleak.  
He's likely to just up and leave home at 18 as he is dangerously impulsive and he knows there is nothing his Mum can do.  

I've been reading on here about disengagement.  I've pretty much withdrawn from being involved the SS.  I feel I was pushed that way by my Wife as she has consistently resisted my inputs.  Unless I'm planning a day out or something nicely nicely that is.

I feel like I want to withdraw everything from him, support, finances, input, most of the time even speaking to him. The only reason I haven't executed a full disengagement from him is my Wife and the further impact/division to the family.  Feeling caught between rock and a hard place.

EveryoneLies's picture

My SS is HFA+ADHD, so really similar to your SS I believe. They can really appear incredibly naive when talking about the future (think a 15 talking like a 5). If he has to retake math and english how is he going to college at the same time (i'm just confused as I didn't get my college education in the US)? Does your SS have an IEP? My SS gets counseling from school once a week for 30 minutes. I don't know if it helps much, but at least it is some help. 

I completely feel your fear of being stuck with your SS for life! I have the same fear, the difference is my DH is determined not to let that happen (I don't think I told him directly how much I fear for this, but I might have react obviously enough). My SS himself also wants to be independent. I mean, who really likes to have their parents following them around? (unless the parents are cleaning up after them I guess *nea*) My SS is going to be 15 soon, it's not that far from 18, but it is still a very long way to go. 

I feel you do need to have a conversation with your wife...a marriage counseling or some sort. You want to be supportive, but at the same time you don't want to feel you're being taken advantage of. 

AgedOut's picture

So you wife expects you to house, feed, clothe, and support her son but heaven forbid you expect him to be a working part of your family machine? 

What does she expect him to do, if anything, after school? Will she always want him in your home, spending your $$, and doing nothing to support himself. 

She has dropped the ball w/ him and I think the real question for you is this: is this the future you can live with? 

ESMOD's picture

You mention her son has some diagnosis.. does that mean he is currently in counseling?  If not, he needs to be.. and if so, are there any family therapy components to help him.. time when you and your wife would also participate to help his progress?  (edit.. i reread this and saw that I used pronouns here that the SK may not identify with.. but OP refers to the SK as "he/him".. though.. I think they would prefer she/her?)

Because, the kid you describe must be having an incredibly difficult time.. The gender identity issues alone would be very complicated.  And, it's clear from your descriptions (calling him He/HIm etc..) that you still very much see and relate to him as male.. even though he may be presenting otherwise.  It wouldn't be unusual for someone to withdraw from a family unit that doesn't understand or support them.. and that doesn't mean that you are mistreating them.. just that you may not know how to best support them.

It's also why they may be so invested in social media where they can see and interact with people they persieve to be more like them.. .and not like their family that "doesn't understand".. 

And.. it's got to be difficult to focus on school and beyond when he doesn't even fully understand where he fits in society and the world right?  Again, working with a therapist both alone and with his family could help him gain some focus and understanding/acceptance.

While I think your heart is in the right place.. I think you are focusing on the symptoms.. trying to CONTROL the situation by limiting screen time and forcing involvement in the home community via chores... I'm not saying that kids shouldn't do chores.. or that too much screen time can be a bad thing.. but absent the focus on helping them work through their issues... it can come off as overbearing.

Perhaps if he felt his "family" was more accepting and inclusive of him.. he might want to participate more?  But, he does likely see you and mom as "them".. as the ones that can't possibly relate to him.. and he gravitates to the people that "get them".. that understand their heart.

It sounds like the kid and others involved have experience plenty of trauma.. but it kind of feels like you blame his mom's poor parenting for "everything they are".. when some of what they are isn't necessarily wrong.. but may be hard for even them to come to terms with.. much less someone like you who probably holds much more traditional gender values etc....

Hi,

The choice of pronoun is his own. He's taken 5 years to decide to change his name to a gender neutral one but with a hint of femininity.  He actively wants the he/his.  I woundnt say I've fixed binary ideas around gender.  I will admit I don't understand it.  For me the gender identity is the lesser of the problems being faced.  He's under the NHS identity clinics but the notion of therapy or counselling is laughable.  Through the gender clinic he gets an hour every three months.  Is on the waiting list for mental health services for his other diagnoses but the waiting list is 2 years for adolescents.  Now here's the problem.  Whilst in that waiting list he will transfer to adult services once he approaches 18.  Once in that system the wait is 5 years.  Police, Social Services and GP have all done their bit, as have we to expedite this but the wait is what it is.  I've accessed my private medical insurance too for him but he won't engage with the therapists; reason is that it's offered over the phone and not face to face.  I've been on various courses from social services about online safety and so on.  Tried to convey or impart that learning to him was and remains disregarded by him.  Im told what the hell do I know, I've not got a clue.  

I wouldn't say I blame my wife for everything, only some key fundamentals that I believe have made the situation worse and therefore I consider them avoidable.  Leaves a resent me behind that I find difficult to deal with.  I'm an engineer so naturally try to work through or around problems.  

Again, thanks everyone for your posts.  I've found this experience so helpful.  Thank you

ESMOD's picture

I'm sorry the wait for counseling is so long... I guess socialized medicine has it's shortcomings.  I'm guessing that there aren't any community based support options that might be available?

What, realistically, are his options now?  Is the military out?  Can he go to college?  Does his mom expect for him to be able to live at home indefinitely?

Does she financially contribute to his care and to your household? or are you holding it all up?

Is there any counseling for you and your wife that you could do through your private insurance that might help you communicate better and get on the same page when it comes to  her son's future?

Finances are largely equal.  Wife is a nurse so has her income and tries her hardest to be financially equal.  I earn the larger salary.   
Going forward the military is not an option he is completely unable to follow instructions or advice let alone an order or command.  I wanted a career in the Navy and I experienced cadets and officer selection.  He would not cope.

College is most certainly an option, one that I have strived to encourage.  He's given up on his GCSEs and seems to have resided himself to abject failure.  If I thought he was capable of learning the lesson of failure and the applying himself in September at college to gain an education I would be something like resigned to engage with that and support and guide him through it.  However, my knowledge of him shows me that college resits won't be to his expectations and he won't rise to the challenges of the hard work it's going to need and I believe he will refuse to go to lectures.

Thats the part of the future that worries me the most, a missed opportunity in education that will take him years to recover.

As for him living with us indefinitely, there's no plan from my Wife's point of view as she seems to act the hear and now and not so much what might happen.  I've told her that I don't want him living with us forever.  Given what he's said he'll up and leave home at 18 as that's the only boundary holding him here. He'll leave with no thought of how he will provide for himself.  Hence the encouragement around education.

Weve tried counselling for ourselves, there's nothing specific around his needs.  I'm looking more generalised marriage counselling though.

EveryoneLies's picture

Does your SS want to go to college though? As much as I value education, I don't think higher education is for everyone. (Like you said, your SS doesn't understand the effort it will take, it might only become a cycle of bad grades and worse self esteem)

In the past whenever I voice my concern about my SS I often get the suggestions of sending him to the military. Funny thing is my SS himself even mentioned he wants to join military (for the free college education support)..but he stopped mentioning it since he learned that physical training is also part of the military lol. I did not push for this idea, and didn't have the balls to tell my DH about this either :/

The thing with college is the law.  Law now says that if he doesn't get grade C or better in English and Maths he must remain education to resit.  That can be college or a school sixth form.  At present he likely to get E or F in those.

He has talked very much about college to study level 1 or level 2 in travel and tourism.  I think it's his vision or impression of what college what be that's wrong here.  He thinks college is going to be easy and all about friends and socializing.  He simply will not work hard to achieve anything, doesn't even bother.  There is very much a novelty factor with him with any he does.  If he wants to, he will engage with an activity obsessively for a very short time and then get bored and give up.  If he doesn't want to he won't engage at all.  All very much part of Asperger's and ADD.

I see college going through same.  He's built up a mental image of college and it's so far removed from the reality and when the time comes it won't meet his expectations and he'll give up.  I should imagine it's hard to understand from the outside but I've seen this trait so many times with him.

I used to lecture in a colleg like this.  To fill my timetable I was given th level 1 group of engineers.  They were hell and there because they had to be.  If he doesn't get the grades he needs he will be in a similar group.  I've tried to paint the picture for him of what it might be like, tying to incentivise him.  I was quickly told that isn't the way of it, he's been to an open evening and he didn't see any of that I'd seen.  Wife even said that was my experience of it and may not be his experience.  That was the end of me trying to help there.

I get that I'm speculating here on future possible behaviours or events or likely outcomes.  But that speculation is based on 10 years of knowing him, watching him and his track history of behaviour.  Just taking past behaviours and outcomes and applying them to future events.

ESMOD's picture

Is it possible for him to take a gap year?   maybe try to work in the industry?  Or do a summer working in a resort town in spain or something? 

When I was in HS.. we used to go to Llorett De Mar in Spain and there were lots of kids that appeared to be working at the resort area doing various things.. like handing out nightclub flyers.. bartending.. front desk work etc..   I wonder if he might warm to doing something like that?  It would give him a taste of the industry.

I have to say that I actually was accepted and went to Cornell's Hotel and Restaurant School in NY  which is a well known and prestigious school for that business.. Unfortunately.. I did not apply myself and ended up going in a diffrent direction and am in a good career now.. so it's possible to change and correct.. but maybe working a bit in the industry might lead him to make a different choice?

You're thought process is remarkably like mine.  I've suggested similar things, like getting a weekend job at local travel agents.  If nothing else it's something for the CB/Resume and some pennies for the pocket too.  Nevermind the practice at developing a good work ethic.

Nope, doesn't want that.  Wants a job at Superdrug to get staff discounts.  Yes, a job nine the less but not the right reasons for turning down other jobs.

As for a gap year and/or an industry placement.  I've tried that suggestion, Mum was most unhappy about that and to be fair I can see her point.  He is very vulnerable and a big risk to himself with no perception of risk to himself.  Even if working in the UK the distances involved are large and he is incapable of independent living.  It would be a learning curve and lesson inlife he so desperately needs.  But is impulsiveness is a threat to him that if left unsupervised at this stage in his life would be harmful.  He's very immature and has been sheltered by the school system and his Mum so that alongside his conditions he has no idea of what awaits him in the real world.

ESMOD's picture

Of course, I don't know the extent of his diagnosis or to what point that, in itself, is the disability that prevents him from being able to do those kinds of more independent living exercises.. or whether his mother has perhaps allowed his diagnosis to be an excuse by which to explain away  his lack of progress.  It could be a learned incompetence.. learned dependence... he can't do the bigger things because he has been sheltered from the smaller progresses.  In an effort to protect him, she has in a way stunted his growth.

At this point, she needs to actively seek out activities and experiences that will "toughen him up" to the world.  I am assuming that his counselors that have seen him have not said that he is incapable of independent life.. right?  It's just that he hasn't been "made" to be more responsible and introspective and hasn't been taught to respect boundaries and how they can serve him well. Because when he has pressed boundaries.. his mom has perhaps just wrung her hands and said.. "well.. he has aspbergers..  he has X.. he can't help that he doesn't follow orders.. or is impulsive".  

Because, I do think he could learn to be less impulsive and to make better choices.. given the right encouragement and expectations.  Part of what forces this is the consequences of his actions have to be born by him, personally.. and he doesn't get a "get out of jail free" pass because life is harder for him.

It's a bit odd that everyone rejects attempts to get him some experience in the subject matter he claims to be interested in.  You would think he would jump at the chance to work for an agency that might afford him some travel discounts.  If he truly has difficulty in interracting with people though.. it seems odd to be fixated on a field that would almost certainly have him in close contact with a lot of the general public in some capacity.

Maybe he will end up a bus driver in the tour industry..lol... a nice profession.. he can see the country!