You are here

How Do I Disengage?

daddyrob's picture

Ok, so I think i have to disengage from my two SDs 15 and 5. The older one complained to her guidance counselor today that she is feeling "overwhelmed" at school and at home. I feel this is all on the heels of her and my BD11 getting scolded yesterday for messing up a load of laundry my wife asked them to do. Bear in mind, her responsibilities are her room, the dishwasher, and the garbage. She was supposed to do her own laundry, but that has gone to the way side. She does also help with her younger siblings. She changes diapers and helps feed the baby from time to time and also watches her younger sister 5 in the bath. Most of the time she's loafing on the couch watching tv or playing with her phone. How is she overwhelmed? I just want to disengage because I am tired of fighting with my wife over this shit. She wants to parent them, so I need to just step away. So my question is, like what exactly is disengaging? I don't want to totally ignore the kids, as I do love them and care for them. What do I do? Thanks.

Willow2010's picture

15 year old girls are the worst.

You need to step back and let DW parent her kids. Let DW handle it all.

Examples...SD comes in two hours after curfew...let DW handle or not handle. SD leaves dishes on table...tell DW that it needs to be cleaned up. (She will either do it or make SD do it.)

daddyrob's picture

Well, the problem has worsened. SD15 went to her guidance counselor and had a meeting with her mother and basically said she doesn't want to live in our house anymore because of the way I treat them. I will admit that I have been hard on them, but I am hard on my own BDs as well. I thought I was doing the right thing by "treating them as I treat my own". She says that I "give everything" to my BDs but her and SD5 I "don't give them anything". She says that when I first moved in I helped their mother, but now I "am no help". She says I embarrass her the way I treat her mother in public. She also said that I get mad at her mother when she does anything with or for her and her sister. Now, I have some rebuttals to this. First, I don't give my BDs anything outside of child support, not by choice, but by necessity. I simply do not have any money left over to buy extras for ANYONE, including myself and my wife. I am no help? I cook, clean, do laundry, pick up from school, yardwork, help them with homework, all the things dads do. So for her to say I am "no help" is an insult to me. She is no help. She has chores to do, which never get done. But that's besides the point. She said she is depressed and has considered suicide. I know that is not something to play with, but I swear, if you were to meet this kid, that would be the last thought on your mind. I am upset, and I am hurt. She is very immature for her age. She gets jealous when her younger sister spends time with her mother. She is very jealous and possessive of her mother. She likes to "snuggle" with her mother, tries to sit on her lap, etc. She cannot be in the house alone without putting on every light in the house. She left the burner on for 7 hours 2 weeks ago. I know I play a role in this problem, but it is not ALL me. Thanks for allowing me to rant. I don't know what to do other than to disengage.

Freshstart's picture

My SD18 tried all sorts of angles like this when she was 15. The school counsellor was just one of them. Pretending to have annorexia was a good one. Telling her mum stuff and getting her mum to fire off emails and make angry phone calls. We dealt with it by seeing a counsellor ourselves to get advice. Counsellor was straight with DH and said SD15 was too involved with him and was trying to get rid of me and would continue to try every avenue so he had to be direct and clear with her. Counsellor said SD15 is exploring her power and looking for the gap. She feels more powerful if her parent is under her control apparently. Thats why advice is helpful because if you are like me and had a childhood where you never dreamt of controlling your parents, you just don't get this stuff.

Sorry you are going through this. It was an unhappy time in our household and took some real solidarity and true partnering from DH and I to sort it our but it was one hell of a rocky ride before we got there.

Fantastic book is Step Monster by Wednesday Martin. It is about stepmothers but the dynamic is similar and the advice on disengaging is priceless.