You are here

15 yo step daughter

highranger's picture

i have a 15 yo step daughter that i have helped raise since she was 1..i've been married to her mother for 14 years, her biological father has never had anything to do with her life. he lives a couple hundred miles from us now. about three months ago, we had to take her cell phone from her..she got mad and called her dad to come get her, he was in town visiting his mother..so he shows up and takes her with him, as he is supposed to have visitation every other weekend but he has never done it..so she leaves and does not come back for a week, then she is ready to come home..every since then the dad has been trying to talk the daughter into living with him, but he is telling us he is not doing it and that she can't come stay with him..but i've saw the text messages..we live in a small town and really don't have a lot of things for teens to do here..he lives in a large city that has plenty and she acts like she is interested in it, but says she wants to stay with her mom..it's causing alot of stress because our lawyer says if he files for a modification of custody and she wants to go the judge is going to let her go because of her age..she is almost 16..now it's like walking on pins and needles every day to please her..she also has a psychological issue that effects her mind (the step daughter). and she is not very stable at times..very hyper and changes channels like a tv..i know i don't have many options in the mess, but i just want some peace..sorry had to vent..

tugofwar's picture

Wow, she may be old enough to "say" where she wants to go but I think if you all can show the court that she has been with you for the past 14 years and BD hasn't been around at all should sway the judge in your favor, anyone in their right mind wouldn't send a child with mental disorder with an almost stranger. I know how you feel walking on egg shells so she won't wanna leave, don't let her play you that way, she will end up getting everything she wants that way. Good luck!! I hope it works out for you all.

Lillie's picture

If she does have mental problems i hope she is in some counseling. This would show the court that she is not able to make decisions on where to live at this time.

Gia's picture

If the court doesn't care that he has never been an active parent in YOUR daughter's life. You raised that girl, you are her truly father. And if she chooses to go with her dad, then I'm sorry to hear this, but you are going to have to let it go and stop walking on eggshells. She will only learn to be manipulative and control people once she understands that momd and "step" dad want to please her so she won't go.

She is a young lady now, and she will most likely regret that decision, let her deal with her own poor decisions.

By the way, I have a son and DH and I got married when he was 7 months old. Biodad has never, EVER been around. If out of nowhere BS (now 2.5) wanted to go with biodad and be so ungrateful to me and his dad (my dh) then go ahead. Do so, and deal with the consequences that will bring in your life. I will not be my son's puppet.

highranger's picture

Yep, the courts in Georgia don't really care..after 14 the kids can come and go as they please..the judges don't really even care to see evidence from either parent..you can hire a lawyer and possible persuade the judge into letting her stay, but it's still not going to change the attitude of the teen..so i know i can't really worry about it..