You are here

8th Grade Graduation

lboothe's picture

My stepson graduates from 8th grade in just a few short weeks! For the past ten years i have raised my stepson with his father who has had full custody since he was 2. At the graduation a slide show will be shown of the kid's baby pictures and a note to the parents. I just found out yesterday that his note reads "Thank you mom & dad for everything you have done for me in my life". Really? No recognition? I know i don't stand for mom in this statement because he has never called me mom. I'm so hurt Sad

janeyc's picture

Yes Im sure he did'nt mean to hurt your feelings either, sensitivity is still a work in progress at his age, maybe he thought he could only speak about his bio parents?

lboothe's picture

Maybe you are right. When will he be at the age where everything will be clear to him?

overworkedmom's picture

YES! This is so true. As I became a parent I have found myself slapping my head going-- That's why they did this, or said that, or made that "stupid" rule. I am sure that he really didn't mean it as a slight to you at all. There is a good change that the slide show had an example of what to say and he just copied it. 8th grade boys aren't know for thinking things through!

Julies's picture

Things could be worse. My step-son has said he only wants his mom and dad to attend his graduation -- in other words no step parent! I was stunned and hurt, but what can I do? I have not raised him like you have but still.

BigEasy1203's picture

That's what makes having stepkids so difficult. Here they aren't even your biological kids, and you are investing a huge deal of yourself into raising them so that they will have a good childhood. Then, to not even be recognized ... I know it hurts.

Just know that one day, when they are older and much more mature, they will look back and realize just how much you were there for them.