You are here

Is it really my responsibility to buy her a car?!?

dm72900's picture

My 17 yr old SD thinks that my husband and I are poorly managing our money. That's right. My 17 year old told me that if we didn't buy so much that we don't need than she would have a car by now!! She seems to think that I should have spent my bonus from work that I spent 5 years earning on a car for her. Also let me point out that I buy absolutely everything for this kid. Supplies for cosmetology school, for her to have a social life with her friends. Coffee every morning I take her to school. Her make up her extra "I wants". I know this is where I went wrong. I have over compensated for years for the lack of love from her mothers house. Generally she has to earn things that she wants. For example: cell phone. You need to do the yard work and we can save $ from paying the yard guy to pay your cell bill. She didnt really stick with that. She only does the deck area now and we again pay someone to do the rest. My husband and I work full time jobs and run a business. I work for a government office and have suffered some major pay cuts. Our bills have increased but our pay has decreased. And for some reason it's now a requirement to buy your teenager a car?!? Since when. No one bought her dad or I a car. And we offered to match her not straight out buy one for her. And there were conditions on that even. She would have to maintain her grades for the good student discount on insurance. Currently she has an f- in work experiance. And a d+ in economics due to 2 failed tests. She had all a's and b's at the last report card. So what happened. She doesn't feel like putting the effort in. "it's hard. You don't understand! I go to school 5 days a week. Work three days a week and go to cosmetology school at 7 am five days a week. And I have a boyfriend and friends. And I have to keep my grades up!" ok reality. She works 6 hours a week. A couple hours each of those three days. School on Monday is from 10:00 to 2:00 then she goes to work for a couple hours! Tuesday she has school from 7 am to 2:45pm. Wednesday and friday school from 7 am to 2:00 pm and then to work for a couple hours in front of our house. Thuresday. School from 7 am to 2:00 and then she works with her mentor on her senior project till about 5. Oh an Saturday she has cosmetology school from 7 am to 3 pm. I know this is a lot for a teenager but really. She choose it and knew what she was gettin into before she did it.
Ok now I work 50 or more hours a week am her taxi and her maid both of which don't pay crap. She doesn't ever clean up after herself I do. She never offers to help out. We have to ask and she generally complains. I know this is normal teenage drama. But this weekend she crossed the line by saying that if we didn't buy the stuff we don't need then she would have a car by now. It took every ounce of self control to not snap and scream at her and tell her how real life is. I dropped her off at her friends house called my husband and said she was an ungreatful little ______!!!! I apologized before calling her this but. I was angry. She does not make the money or pay the bills. She accumulates the bills we pay though.

So here's my delima: she will be back home tomorrow and I am not sure what I am going to say to her. I would prefer that my husband and I do it together but I think she may call me since I'm off work. It's times like this that I so badly want to run away. I know I don't want to buy her a darn thing that for sure. I feel like saying your right we do waste a lot of money on stuff for YOU. Ok we will stop! Food clothing and shelter. That's it! No more and don't ask! I have had the same shoes for three years. She gets new ones all the time. I have had te same work pants for 5 years. She gets new clothes all the time. Humm. I guess I should skip more lunches to buy her a damn car cause she soooo deserves it.

buttercookie's picture

no its not your responsibility to buy her a car. She can get her parents to do that and/or get a job, She has some major entitlement issues to even speak about how you spend your money and your dh needs to put her in her place.

bi's picture

she sounds like my sd19. i was pregnant 2 1/2 years ago and she went into a tirade about how now she wasn't going to get a car and would have to pay for college on her own. she even posted on fb about how i needed to get on birth control instead of worrying about her being on it. i posted right back to her that i don't need a teenager telling me what my priorities should be, and that i don't know where she gets that i care whether or not she's on birth control because i DON'T. it isn't, wasn't, and never will be my responsibility to buy her a car or pay for school. selfish asshole. my OWN kids are who i worry about, NOT HER.

bi's picture

i agree with you completely. i told bd, who will be 17 in 2 days, that if she wants a car, she gets a job. i'm not doing it for her. i told her whatever she saves, i will match. and she will be responsible for gas, insurance, and maintenance/repairs. so far, she's saved nothing. i'm not just handing her everything she wants. i told her today that she needs to be getting a job. that she needs to learn what all the things she wants cost and stop expecting me to supply them. i was working and going to school (and raising her!) at her age, no reason for her to not have a job and be taking care of all the extras she wants.

and sd thought she could treat me like shit and still expect me to support her. ha! we never paid a dime for her to have a car or go to school. she just wrecked her car a week ago. let her see how it is to have to buy one on her own for once. (she bought the one she wrecked out of financial aid money).

herewegoagain's picture

This is NOT typical 17yr old stuff...this IS "typical entitled 17yr old little shit" stuff...NEVER did I ask my parents to buy me a car. I didn't even get a license until I was 21, because it wasn't until then that I could afford to buy MYSELF a car. Up until that point, I got rides everywhere, including work and college. Geez. I wouldn't buy her a darn thing.

emotionaly beat up's picture

herewegoagain is absolutely right, it is not "typical" 17 year old stuff at all. It is typical entitled spoilt brat stuff. You have given this girl everything and now she wants a car, to her a new pair of shoes, a car, all the same, just stuff you should give her. Tell her what you have told us, you have given her a, b, c, d, x, y,z and that is enough, now if she wants to give up some of her luxuries, and she works part time and saves all that money, the money you save on buying new shoes, cosmetics and all her luxury items you may decide contribute a little something towards the car, say perhaps match whatever mom puts towards it.

She is a spoilt brat and is clearly ungrateful, best you put the brakes on this before she is a 27 year old spoilt little girl in a woman's body. She is not learning what goes on in the real world and she is not learning appreciation. Tell her no, if she gets upset, tell her ring your dad.

Jsmom's picture

No car for her....However, I did make sure my son had a car at 16. But, he jumped through hoops to get it. I pay no gas. I pay insurance and expenses for the truck. But, he had to Eagle before he could drive it. It sat for 3 months until he did. Even now, he knows if his grades go to a B in any class, it is parked until they are back up. He has to figure out his gas. He wanted to drive to school, I refused to pay for the parking pass, since my taxes get a bus...He has had to come up with ways to pay for things. Since he is not motivated to get a job, he has to earn money doing extra stuff for me or grandma. But, he has to get a job this summer....

I figure the expense I pay, will come back with the number of scholarships he will get...

Your expectations need to be higher for her....Otherwise, hell no. Earn some money and buy yourself a car.

dm72900's picture

Thanks all! Scubbed: I wish the other parent was helpful. She is actually part of the problem. She seems to think that it is our responsibility to buy my SD a car. But then again she's only worked 6 months in 17 1/2 years. My SD decided to live with us. We negotiated visitation and had to talk my SD into seeing her mother at all. 20 hours a week. That is it. That's all she has her and in court when stopping child support was brought up she said : "I think I deserve something for one day a week" so bottom line. We pay and have the teenage brat!! Anyhow everytime she's with her mother. Why haven't they bought you a car yet. They should have saved enough on child support. REALLY?!? Maybe because it's a priveledge earned not a frickin handout and if she's so concerned about a car for her daughter than she should use the tax payers $$$ she's collecting and go buy her one.
Wow sorry 11 1/2 years of bitting my tounge!!
I haven't even seen my sd since this incident and I still want to beat her a**.
To bi: thanks for the encouragement. I love your signature. Lol. I don't even feel like matching her savings anymore. She has no concept of what the real world is like. I think my husband ( don't have this abbreviation down yet) is ready to tell my SD that she can go live with her BM if she thinks we are that bad!! I love the kid but am so angry that I'm almost on board with him. I can't wait till she's 18!!! Once that happens if she pulls any crap. I'll just say well if you think your soo smart then good luck figuring it out in the real world. I never thought I would get to this point but I'm there. Not sure what I will say to her today but I hope I don't have to until my husband is home and we can do it together. She hates it that way but I don't care.
Buttercookie: thanks for the encouragement. My dh cannot afford a car for her either. That's why we offered to match not buy her one! When my sd was 15 she decided that I was the worst person in the world and ever wrote a heart wrenching letter and she left us for 6 months. Her BM took us to court to raise the child support of course. About a month after the massive increase. My SD had to talk to me. She needed a ride to her orthodontist appointment out of town and I was the only one available to take her. So I explained to her after the third week of her coming home that this leaving us crap can never happen again. Her father and I cannot emotionally Handle it. she then apologized for taking it out on me. I was shocked! Since that time she has stayed with us more and more. Over the summer it changed to just 2 days a week with her BM. And our child support amount didn't change until 01/2012. She's been back with us since. 09/2010. So if she never left us there would probably already be a car for her.

dm72900's picture

Thanks herewegoagain, emotionally beat up and Paris72 & jsmom.
That is exactly how I feel!! I have done the I have bought you this that and the other before and it doesn't help. I know our mistake has been over compensating for broken promises from her BM early on and I know it's kinda late in the game to Change it. But I will not be buying the ungreatful bitch anything. She can buy her own car with her savings and no matching. Hopefully she finds someone's name to put it in cause it can't go in her name till she 18. She was looking on Craig's list and texting people on Craig's list. We told her the definition of the actual condition of the cars she's finding. $500 $300 to register still needs to pass smog. And it's out of town. I told her waste of money. It will probably cost her $2,000 + to get it going and not to mention out of town tow to get it home! She just got pissed off with every one she found had problems. I tried to explain to her that believe it or not her dad and I know a thing or 2 about buying a car!! She needs to be talking to her dad anyway since the car will go in his name. She is also pissed off cause I'm a bitch and draw the line with my car!!! She wants me to let her barrow my car since its the only vehicle we own that she could drive. HELL NO!! We put my car up as collateral for the down payment on some new equipment for our business. I cannot afford to risk loosing my car. If she wrecks it I won't get anything and will not have a way to get to work and since I need my car I'm sorry that ain't happening!! In fact because she has such a shitty attitude and no longer listens she doesn't drive it at all!!! She's developed this cockiness where she thinks she's a good driver but she almost rear ends people and drives over cribs when she's like this. I can't afford to let her cockiness drive my car and by the way it is my first financed and paid off car. The nicest car I have ever owned and it's not that nice and I'll be damned if I'm going to let a spoiled rotten teenage brat abuse it!!!

You know this really isn't a problem. Your car is your car, whether you have used it as collateral or not is not only none of her business, but it makes not one bit of damn difference. The word you need to use to her is NO. No, we cannot buy a car as we cannot afford it, NO you cannot drive my car because it is my car and I do not want you to drive it, NO I do not have to give you any other reasons for that, it is my car and you can't drive it and NO I will not continue this conversation.

The girl is a spoilt brat and trust me she will appreciate nothing you give her because everything has been on tap. People who get everything for nothing never appreciate anything and never look after it. Check out the other stuff you have given her over the years, where is it, what condition is it in, how long did she wear it before she got sick of it, or it was no longer fashionable. Give her a brand new car and within a year probably 6-8 months she will have smashed it so many times that you had better have a close relationship with the car dealer because you are going to be buying a lot of cars. I have known someone whose daughter I overheard telling friends, she was sick of her car, and she wanted another one, so she was smashing it whenever she could to get dad to get her a better one. Just a dent here and a dent there, but daddy would not like his daughter to be seen in a car like that, and she knew it. Your special little Princess I feel will be no damn different. Probably worse because even you have not set any boundaries as far as buying stuff for her.

You seem concerened about saying NO to her so I am guessing that you are afraid of her. You are setting this girl up for NPD and ruining her life. Your role as parents is to bring your children up to be self sufficient, productive members of society. Not freeloaders.

She is not your problem at all, it would appear the biggest problem here is you. Overcompensating for BM, please. Providing this girl with a roof over her head, clothes on her back and food in her belly is more than BM has done. Providing her with medical care and an education is more than BM has done.You are as stepmother who has overindulged this little brat, she needs to know that as a SM you did not have to do one damn thing for her except to keep her safe whilst in your care, yet you have provided all these luxurys and she is still complaining and asking for more tell her it is not on, she needs to show you more appreciation, not more expectation. You cannot change who her mother is and how she is treated by her BM by buying her stuff.

She is an ungrateful little cow because you felt good giving her this stuff, and from that she learned that, that is what you do, give her stuff. By the way, you say she has been driving, what has she been driving - Your car I guess.

Stop giving into her, it is NEVER to late to change this, you just have to handle it differently. So, because she is this age, you are going to have to sit her down tell her you are sorry, but you cannot afford to buy her a car, you will match dollar for dollar what she saves if you can afford to, and as you cannot have a car in your own name until you are 18, you need to start saving so that by then you have enough money saved for registration and insurance,as well as the car you in a year should be able to save a significent amount of money. She needs to learn along with having a car comes the responsibility of running it. If she wants adult privilages then she needs to accept the adult responsibilities. She needs to know that cars cost money to run also, gas, services, repairs, insurace, registration, so a year of saving will do her good. Please, do not be afraid to say NO enough is enough.

I think with the best intentions in the world, you have done the wrong thing by this girl. Look at how she has turned out, I am sure this is not only how you wanted her to turn out, but I bet you never saw it coming.

If you do not stand up to her, stop her from bullying you into buying stuff for her now, she will get older and want more, before long she will be expecting you to support not only her, but the baby or babies she will bash off because she has no idea of responsibility, because no one has ever expected her to be responsible. I feel sorry for her really no one likes a spoilt brat. Please find the strength to say, it is not up for discussion, we cannot afford it, so stop asking us, the answer will not change. And all the best of luck to you. I imagine it is not going to be easy telling her NO now, but you do need to take back your power, sound as if you and DH have let her rule the roost for far too long now. Good Luck Smile

The firs time you stand up to her will be the worst time, after that it will get easier and easier each time.

dm72900's picture

Thanks emotionally beat up. I have been telling her no a lot since she has come back home to us a year and a half ago after leaving us for 6 months and putting total blame on me. She did apologize and I know that I am totally at fault for over compensating early on and having pitty. She doesn't get expensive designer clothes. Just Walmart clothes. But it's more than I get for myself. And I wish I read your message before we talked to her tonight. I went off though. I told her what her fater and I do with the money we earn is our business and I have never felt such disrespect or lack of appreciation as I did when she made her total bullshit comment about us wasting our $ and if we didn't she would have a car by now! My DH also told her that neither one of us have to buy her a car or anything else. If she wants one she has to earn it and if she doesn't fix her current grade problem she doesn't get shit!! I think your message would have helped me be more of the bitch I need to be. It's not easy but I now and have been making her pay for half of everything. Apparantly she heard in her own mind that I was going to use my work bonus to buy her a car. Haha ya right. I told her I never said I would use a bonus I worked 5 years for to buy something for her. That doesn't make any sense at all. I earned that money and it should have been spent on me as it was. Kids good lord!! Sorry to be mean but I don't have to buy her anything at all ever and made it perfectly clear to my DH that I am not buying her shit and we aren't going to even match what she has saved or anything if she doesn't shape up. The stuff we buy her she has to earn. With good grades or helping out without being asked. Honestly a lot of her spoiled rottenness came from the grandmothers on both sides who are the ones who buy her love. BM's mother is the worst culprit. She defiantly rules the roost there. Also I think a lot of this is an adjustment thing. She always spoke to her mother very rudely but not us. Now that she's not around BM as much I think she's acting out on us. That shit don't fly in this house though. Also another contributing factor is her disrespectful little friend she's been hanging out with. She got some clarity tonight though. Oh and re the car. She did drive mine but never without my husband or I with her. Mostly me. And when she doesn't listen she has to pull over and no driving. At this point she can't drive it at all and hasn't been for a while cause she's developed a shitty attitude and a stupid cockiness. This makes her dangerous on the road. 5 months to go. Then if she pulls this kinda shit we will just say good luck doing it on your own. I do worry about her being able to make it on her own but I tried to teach her basic skills and she only wants to learn sometimes so screw it. I did the best I could with the battles I had to fight. At this point I'm on the countdown to no more CS and no more playing nice. The moment she disrespects me after 18 she better be ready for seriously evil SM!! I will have 12 years of bent up aggression and bitting my tounge to unleash!! Lol. Again thank you for your positive reinforcement. Smile

I think you are on the right path now to be honest and thank goodness DH is right there with you that makes it easier.

If it helps ease your guilt ( which by the way you should not have) I brought my three kids up on mhy own. Poor little buggers were lucky to get fed, let alone a car. Anyway even if I had the money, which I didn't I would never have bought them cars, they had to work part time jobs as well as attend school and they had to save for every single thing they wanted. My eldest had been working at kentucky chicken since she was 14, poor thing worked all the rotten shifts and as many as she could get and she bought nothing for herself, 3 weeks before her 18th birthday she bought a small Holden Barina car with only 38,000 kilometres on teh speedo, and it brand new condition she paid cash for the car, paid $2,000 up front for her insurance, and bought a cell phone as well. All up she had saved $17,000 just from working at KFC all three of them had to do it that way and they were good kids they never caused me any grief. But I did not feel one ounce of guilt about this. I saw it as me doing a bloody good job teaching my kids savings habits, responsibiity and the power of hard work. I turned out a teacher, a cabinet maker and joiner, and a human resources consultant. They are 29, 34 and 36 now, all have their own homes, the middle son only has $10K to go before he owns his outright. They all have pretty new cars now and they all are self sufficient. They never ask me for anything and I am now in a position were I could help out, but they just don't even ask. In fact the opposite if I am out shopping with them they always pay for the coffees and if I try to buy the grandkis something sure they will let me, but if they think it is over the top in price, no way they won't let e spend my money. My DH well his 3 same ages as mine are greedy lazy money hungry over induged pieces of crap who would not know the first thing about buying a car as daddy supplied them with cars they never worked until their late 20's early 30's and they well the daughter anyway wants dad dead so she (she thinks) can get our house Smile Hope she's not running up any debt waiting for my house, I would burn it to the ground first. Imagine wanting us dead and being so sure of daddy's devotion she thinks she can say that and still get the house. Actually come to think of it though, she is right, if it weren't for me, he would give her the house. Because in spite of every single thing he has done for them and bought them, he knows that if he wants them in his life he has to buy them still. Thank God that part of my life is over. Your SD sounds like mine and I banned mine from my home 6 months ago, I am so glad she's gone, that woman was pure evil.

If you really care about this girl. Stick to your guns, teach her the value of a $ and show her that you are a person too. I always taught my kids that I had feelings, that I had needs and wants just like them, sure I went without so much so they could have bread and butter, but simple things like, no you cannot watch your favourite show because this is my TV and I want to watch whatever are really all it takes to show your kids you respect yourself and that you have to get your way too sometimes. Teach her that a family is about give and take, everyone chipping in and working together, supporting each other, family isnot all about the kids getting everything and the parets nothing. If you show her she comes first and you go without so she can have it, well you are not helping her. The last cookie in the jar is not necessarily hers, and she has to know there are other people in the house too, it's not all about her.

Now I blame you too Smile but no use going back over the past, you cannot change it, so stop beating yourself up, just start fresh, and is sounds as if you have, and just keep doing what you're doing now. She'll get over it. And please do not worry about her making it on her own, tough love works. If she cannot hack life at home with you guys then let her go. See how far she gets, see if she can find another place to live rent free with gas and utilities paid for, some idiot looking out for her doing the cleaning, the wshing the ironing, the cooking all for free............Let her go, it will be a good lesson, and if she falls and wants to come back in, then it is on YOUR terms and you need to state them before she sets one foot in the front door and you need to constantly re inforce them till she gets it, and she will. She will turn out to be a better woman for it, and she will learn to live with other people on the planet, in short she will be what she should be a self sufficient woman. One who managed to buy her own car, and the sense of pride she would derive from that would do her the world of good and enhance her self confidence. If she knew she could buy her own car she would feel as if she could buy anything as long as she plans it right.

dm72900's picture

I totally agree. If she pulls anything after she's 18 she can figure it out on her own and finally figure out what bills are. She told me tonight that she's going to the senior trip that she told me she wasn't planning on going to for a long time so she said she was going I said cool did you get the money together. And she said she called a group that she used to work for to get the $ they owe her and she's going to use that. Maybe our talk did some good. Smile glad shed finally getting that I'm not her piggy bank. Unappreciative brat is slowly getting better. Hope she fixes her grades too.