You are here

Truancy & CRA Submission

RisingtheWave80's picture

Finally there is something being done with SD's refusal to attend school. Last year she had missed 54 days of school and this year she is at 22 days of school missed. BM allows this, BM will also go pick up SD from school just because SD calls her (even though this puts her in violation over having her phone in the school) and she will just show up and bring her home. 

Well last week the school sent notice that there would be consequences to this and the other day the letter from the Juvenile court arrived and the school is persuing a CRA (Child Requiring Assistance) due to both her inability to follow the rules/destructive behavior and her truancy issues. 

Most likely this will result in SD and BM under the courts supervision, BM will need to either parent or there is a slight chance if this doesn't improve even getting DCF involved then they may take her out of her mothers home. When SD was with us during the school year she never missed school unless she was truly sick and everyday she would try to go home early, DH would tell the school to send her back to class, but BM doesn't want to fight so she just caves. 

While DH has been backing off from school involvement because the school thinks he is an asshole but I think the more they learn about BM they realize who the problem is, but I told him he needs to be at that court date because he needs to know what is said and what the potential consequences are, meaning if BM cannot do what she has to and they remove SD from her home, guess where she is coming? I imagine that wouldn't go over well, she spends 2-3 hours a week at our house for dinner then back to her mothers where the land of Air Jordans, Expensive sweatshirts and never ending gifts are supplied and she runs the house. 

Karma, slow but persistent. BM isn't going to like DCF in her business, you know the business where she leaves her daughter home alone most of the time, even for overnights. I am not sure BM and SD (because I am 100% certain SD knows all about this as BM pleads with her to do what she is suppose to so she doesn't get in trouble) are prepared for what this means. 

tog redux's picture

I hope your system has more teeth than ours does here. They just threaten and threaten and never do anything. And they never hold the parents of teens accountable either. Fingers crossed that your state does a better job. 

We will see, she is in a state run therapy school and while the regular school allowed for her to miss 55 days last year, fail all her classes and STILL move to the 9th grade, the therapy school seems to take less shit and move things allong the court system very quickly. She had to present back in the end of summer to determine where she would be placed, she also had refused to go to summer school so they shouldn't have passed her. The two options under MGL (Mass General Law) is either court/state involvement or removal of child from the home. I would imagine they will get the court/state involved and see if BM does a better job, if not who knows. 

Aunt Agatha's picture

BM gets it in gear and your SD gets the help she needs.  

You sure don't need this crazy clown car in your home full time.

Agreed! I think the 2-3 hours per week has worked for everyone because there is no parenting, just dinner and "catching up" (that being whatever lies she wants to tell us that day) 

Rags's picture

Oh, this is going to be so much fuuuuunnn to watch!  BM is going to get shredded.  Maybe DH should take that stance.  That both BM and SD need to have the full discomfort of the system coming down on them full bore.  

Have fun!

This should be very, very interesting.