You are here

What's In it for steps?

weekendwidow's picture

I'm fairly new here (still not sure what OP means) and I've been reading posts, creating posts and observing. The one thing that drives me bonkers is that we all tend to loathe our skids, the BMs are mostly awful and only occasionally does DH do something right. WTF are we doing this for?

Why the hell do we tolerate these awful people in our homes. If a stranger came in my house and talked to me the way skids do, I'd brain him!

I am bullied by my skids. If someone else (a coworker for example) bullied me, you'd better believe DH would defend me...but not when it comes to the precious darlings from the GU...that abbreviation was easy...not a peep unless it's some dumb ass excuse.

Don't even get me started on the skank loser BM scenario.

Seriously, what gives? Ugh

weekendwidow's picture

I know there's that whole love & marriage thing going on...I mean besides that. Why do we put up with the crap? I know I'm generalizing here. But let's face it, if everything was sunshine & lollipops, we wouldn't be on this forum, right?

Ugh again

Aniki-Moderator's picture

I think that the bioparents think their little darlings have been traumatized enough by daddy and mommy divorcing and want to make the little twits lives as non-traumatic as possible afterwards. Because, obviously, it's better for the bioparents to not fight after the dears have been through sooooo much.

missflo's picture

It's a question we've all asked ourselves at one point. There are as many answers as there are people here.
My answer is pretty simple. Its him.
I have no bios. His kids come to us every school holidays, (they live in another state and they're 16 and 18)
So for 2 weeks every 10, and 4 weeks at christmas, I'm a full time SM.
Tne rest of the time its all long distance. (They actually cause more drama when they aren't here)
I'll quote someone from here (I'm so sorry....I forget who said it.)
It's not perfect but its enough.
And that doesn't mean I'm settling by any stretch of the imagination, just that Ive been without him, and been with him. And I don't ever want to be without him again.
The reasons to stay outweigh the reasons to go.
If the balance ever changed, my answer would too.
But I have it pretty easy in comparison to most.
Oh... and OP means Original post or Original poster.
Smile

weekendwidow's picture

The OP question finally answered...thanks! Wink

As far as the other stuff...I know it's because of him. HE is the reason I get up in the morning, put on my big girl undies and prepare for battle. Battle for me mainly consists of biting my tongue and reminding myself "It's none of my business, It's none of my business ". I know I could have it so much worse, and for that I am grateful!

I wonder what it would look like/feel like to just say and do what I wanted to? I mean the skids and BM do it all the time. So why can't I?

I would really love to say to SS17:

"F*&% off you little asshole. I can't stand your attitude, your sloth or your cologne. I never wanted you in my life, but your dad came as a package deal and now I'm stuck with the likes of you and your slut sister. That doesn't mean I am here to wait on you, take care of you or even give a shit about your general well being. Please remember that I don't like you or care about you when you decide to disrespect me in MY house. By the way, the door opens both ways and my foot WILL fit nicely in your ass. Want to see?"

Rags's picture

The thing that most traumatizes a kid, even in a divorce, is shitty parenting. Parents can never lose track of the inalienable fact that they must be the example, mentor, confidante, advocate and disciplinarian for their child all of the time. PERIOD! Not their buddy, not their apologist, not their beck and call boy or girl, etc...

The only thing special about anyone including a child is performance. No performance, then there is nothing special about the person. For a kid that means being a kid, doing what they are told, trying their best, being respectful, being honest, developing character.

IMHO of course.

weekendwidow's picture

Part of the main issue is that DH and BM are shitty parents. Now that DH is married to me...a parent not a pal, he sees the error of his ways. He's trying, but it's often too little too late and the skids absolutely HATE me for "changing their dad".

I NEVER told him to do anything, he's deciding on his own that what he has done in the past has failed miserably, so it's time to try something new. Of course, as we all know, the skids will take every opportunity to blame anything that doesn't go their was on the step-monster. Ugh I hate them. Even other people's skids are horrible people (not all, I know) Skids hate the SM before ever meeting her. It's just wrong.

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

I know in my case, until the last couple of years, it was something I could put up with every now and then. DH was "lucky" if SD15 came over once a month. I never dreamed in a million years that SD15 would ever move in with us! The way BM was about weekends and the occasional trip up north to see family...she was so lost without SD15 around...so co-dependent on the child...that I could never see her letting the girl out of her grasp, no matter how much of a pain she turned out to be. There was also the issue of money...yeah, that money was very important to BM.

But that changed a couple of years ago. I think mostly because of BM's current husband. He is the one in control at that house now, and he doesn't want SD15 in his house doing her crap around his son (his child with BM)! He would rather give BM an allowance in replacement for the child support she was getting, than have SD15 in his house, but he was sure to make sure that DH would not ask for child support from BM!

Sad thing is, I would pay the child support personally to get that girl back out of my house! When she is gone, there is such peace in my home...such peace between my husband and I. These last couple of weeks, it has been made clear that all of our arguments surround SD15 in some way! Typical topics that start arguments are SD15's lack of respect for me or him (he doesn't like when I point out that he needs to stand up to her), SD15's lack of respect for our home (leaving her crap everywhere, putting things down the plumbing that shouldn't be, etc.), SD15's lying, SD15 wanting something and me saying no for whatever reason (how dare I deny the princess anything), etc.

Calypso1977's picture

i got sucked in.

we dated 14 months before we told SD about me. we thought it was best for her.

in that time, we obviously fell very much in love and everything was perfect. then he told her, and we had another 6-8 months of "honeymoon" phase where the kid liked me, had fun with us, and it felt like a family so that put us at close to 2 years, and in that time we moved in together, and got engaged. then BOOM! the crap hit the fan.

im too invested to walk away just yet - but i am not getting married until that kid reaches 18 unscathed. as soon as she gets a drug problem or gets knocked up, im done. walking away will still be hard, btu it will be a hell of a lot easier to do it unmarried. i never want to get divorced again. i also dont have kids, dont desire to have kids, so that gives me the luxury of "hanging on"... if i wanted a baby id probably be done or near done now.

Oh I would, but that is only because I'm not raising the brat's kid! Neither SD15 nor DH can wake up on their own, and I'm a super light sleeper. No way am I losing sleep listening to a crying baby all night! If she gets preggers...girl goes to BM, or I'm gone!

AllinThisTogether4's picture

Im sorry that you are having so many problems but imo if you look at the sks as a problem they will be. Invest more time in making not only a marriage but a family.
I have 1 bd age 11 and 1 ss 15 we have things going pretty well but we have spent a lot of time working on that. We do have our occasional problems like anyone but I am just here mainly to learn more about what is going on with others and see if I can help at all in some way. I may need some advice also at some point.

Trust me...I invested the time! I've been around since this child was just around 1 year old! I've tried to be one happy family, and all I've ever gotten was smacked in the face! DH adopted my kids, and it has always been a case of what was good enough for them was NEVER good enough for the princess! She always had to have things different! My bios got their share of spankings, but SD15 would do the same thing and just get a gentle talking to by DH. Things bios were told no to, or told they had to earn (i.e., like makeup for BD23), SD15 is just handed and not even expected to do any chores to earn. My entire marriage, what input I have with regards to SD15 is ignored...she is allowed to keep doing the crap she does. She doesn't have any respect for me...I'm not allowed to demand it, and DH will not demand it on my behalf.

So, no, it isn't as simple as trying to invest in making a family!

weekendwidow's picture

Venting and knowing I'm not alone has been the best thing to keep me going. I figure if all these other step moms from all over the planet can do, so can I. I never heard the term "Disney Dad" before, but I definitely knew what it meant due to all the experience I have with DH and my Ex. It just clicked.

Here, though this forum, I learned what disengaging meant and I think it saved my life. I was so stressed out all of the time about SS17 and DH not seeing him for what he is, I was actually having heart palpitations and migraines. Since I've disengaged, SS17 thinks I'm treating him like shit! That is the funniest thing I have ever heard. I don't talk to him except to say hello, goodbye or pass the salt. I don't cook or clean for him. I don't even look at him. He thinks I'm treating him poorly...HA! He has no idea.

Since disengaging, by DH and I are in counseling for Step issues and are doing great! DH has found his backbone and is standing up to his emotionally abusive spawn. SS17 has lost his vehicle and will be going into drug counseling (how we get him there is another can of worms). SS17 has also said that he longer wishes to visit us or go anywhere with us if he doesn't have his own transportation so he can leave if things get uncomfortable. Poor baby. He'll be spending the summer with his pig BM while DH, my bios and I go on some great vacations!

I WAS dreading this summer earlier in the year, because I feared that SS was going to stay with us for extended periods. Now I don't have to see him AT ALL. LIFE IS GOOD!