You are here

5 year old wants everything

usmc1984's picture

I have 2 skids 5 and 6 and 2 biokids 3 and 11. Sd5 is such a pain I have had it through the roof.she doesn't like to share and no one can ever have more then her, now including me and my wife.she takes her siblings food and toy not matter what we try.my wife is annoyed with it but doesn't see it as a big issue. I do. A 5 year old shouldn't eat more then me. I am 5"10 180lbs with a fast metabolism. There have been multiple times when I have only had 3 pieces of pizza because she ate over half of a pizza and wants more and crys and my wife gives her my food.Livid.

Sweet T's picture

I agree with echo. I have a 6 year old and they do want everything. My son is a good kid, but man when he digs his heels in on something it sucks. I always tell him I do not negotiate with kids and stay firm in my original answer. I point out unexceptable behaviors to him and explain what I expect of him.

Your wife needs to be firm and consistant.

kathc's picture

A 5 year old eating more than half a pizza is going to be dead by 16 anyway. Maybe tell that to your wife. The kid is setting up for major health problems that could kill her if she keeps going that way.

jumanji's picture

My youngest could do that, easily. In HS, when they had activities where pizza was ordered, they knew to order a whole one just for her. Lest you think she was overweight - she is 5'6" and weighs 120 (that's the heaviest she's ever been). But she's an athlete. Over 16, and not dead yet...

kathc's picture

Then she's the exception. I won't get into how many morbidly obese children I've seen with health issues that you generally don't see until middle age because their parents let them eat whatever they want. Children are like fish, you dump a ton of food in, they'll inhale all of it and die. You have to feed them the proper amount to thrive.

butterflybloom's picture

Echo is right, you must talk to your wife, she is the problem. She must grow a back bone and start being a mother. I never let my DD12 over eat, ever..I count her portions and servings. A 5 year old, is just poor parenting!

Drac0's picture

Is she like this at all meals?

I have a 4-year-old (soon to be 5) son. At breakfast, my son eats like a Hobbit! 3 bowls of cereal, toast, juice, yogurt, a granola bar - and that is just the first breakfast. I actually have to reign him in. We also have to keep the pantry locked otherwise he'll help himself!

But then, at lunch and dinner he'll just nibble on his meals...

Amotherfirst's picture

Discipline issues. You need to have a sit down with your wife and calmly explain to her WHY this IS a big deal. Discipline starts early and if she wants her daughter to grow up and be a functioning memeber of society rules need to be layed down and enforced EARLY. I have a 4 and 6 year old and they DONT act that way. Luckily my DH and I are on the same page when.it comes to discipline. You have to be a team.

usmc1984's picture

The problem started when her parents moved in. We say no they give it to them. We have had countless discussion s about this. She used to have a spine but has been taken over by being overwhelmed. This needs to be nipped on the bud now.grandma tryed to say I'm an asshole for not letting them watch cartoons on ny tv on sunday.they have their own tv they just wanted to be in the room my wife and I were in. My house my tv my football my sunday

Drac0's picture

>This needs to be nipped on the bud now.grandma tryed to say I'm an asshole for not letting them watch cartoons on ny tv on sunday.<

PVR is your friend! Not sure if it fits into your budget but this saved us from a lot of fights regarding the TV. None of my kids will sit in front of the TV for more than 10 minutes anyways before being distracted with something else. So I don't mind having one of my favorite shows being interupted. I just set the PVR. Sit and wait, and then when the kids bugger off, I resume control.

usmc1984's picture

And to answer dracos question she is like that almost all the time mostly at breakfast and when it is a food she really likes. If only she wanted my vegtables. She is the only child we have major issues with.

twoviewpoints's picture

Ask MIL if you'll be the a**hole when SD gets her butt kicked in kindergarten or 1st grade because kid didn't know how to share or was snagging food off another kid's lunch tray.

MIL nor the mother is being kind to this kid. They're setting kid up to be disliked, not have any friends and to bully others into getting what she wants. Is this the type of future MIL/mother desire for the child?