You are here

Advice about SD6 and the Super Bowl...

daysleeper's picture

I love football. A lot. Last year, I tried watching games on television while SD was in the house. It did not go well. She did everything short of actually turn off the television to cause a distraction. Because of this, I told SO that this football season, I was going to go elsewhere to watch football games if he had SD for the weekend. He agreed and said that he understood.

Today, he made an event on Facebook for a Super Bowl party, to be held at our house, on the weekend that he has SD. I told him that I was planning on watching elsewhere because SD and football don't mix, but he got super butthurt and pissy about it. I'm not sure what I should say to smooth this over, but I am not willing to deal with distractions, and I don't have to, and I don't see what the big deal is with that.

DeeDeeTX's picture

You said what was happening if SD came over and your husband got but hurt you're actually doing it?

Des your husband see you as a pushover he can manipulate? Is he a narcissist who expects everyone to bow to him and his plans?

I have no idea otherwise why your husband would be getting upset at you. You've done nothing wrong.

daysleeper's picture

I don't know what he's thinking. Maybe he's thinking I've changed my mind? Well, I haven't.

RedWingsFan's picture

I've had the SAME thing happen with my SD14. Hockey games (especially playoff games) are not to be missed, nor am I to be distracted or bothered while watching.

SD14 would do anything and everything to get in my face or on my nerves during a game. Finally, I looked at DH and said "This is important to me. I'm not asking for much. Do something with her or I'll go to the bar and watch every single game of the playoffs". He told SD to go to her room or otherwise keep herself busy during Mel's hockey games. He wanted to watch them too, but since she's so used to interrupting him, he didn't care when she'd do this. I HAD to say something because it bothered me A WHOLE LOT!

If you let him know that this is IMPORTANT to you (doesn't matter if it's 'just a game'), maybe he'll see things differently?

If he refuses to remove her or make her behave, simply get up, don't say a word, and drive yourself to the local sports bar for the game!

daysleeper's picture

I have told him that if the following conditions are met, then it's acceptable to have SD at the house while I'm watching the game:

SD needs to be upstairs watching something, and not bothering anyone unless she's bleeding from somewhere or in crippling pain somehow. If that is the case, she can bother SO, and he is not to come back downstairs until she is COMPLETELY TAKEN CARE OF. I am allowed to say whatever swear words I want, with whatever frequency and at whatever decibel level I decide is appropriate.

If these conditions are not met consistently, I will leave the party and head to the bar.

RedWingsFan's picture

Sounds like a plan. How long do you think you'll get into the game before you end up heading to the bar??? LMAO Just kidding.

Putting rules and conditions on the party is a perfect way of saying "this is important to me, and I'm not giving it up!"

StickAFork's picture

THIS!!

He planned a party and invited people over to your home without saying anything?
Or do you live separately?

daysleeper's picture

Well, he's in the "beginning stages" of planning - as in, this is him asking me about it. He hasn't invited anyone else yet.

Starla's picture

My mom use to say "I am woman hear me roar as I kick your butt out the door". Only her game was soap Oprah. Under your circumstances, watching it elsewhere sounds like a great idea.