You are here

Am I being unreasonable

Stepmom3333's picture

I have a 11 year old step daughter who comes to visit every other weekend. I have bio children of my own but not an older daughter so I wanted to know if this is normal behaviour or not.

Whenever i’m talking to my OH normally when we are standing in the kitchen, she inserts herself under his arm and stares back at me or butts in. I feel like i’m having a conversation with a two headed person. It drives me nutts because I feel like I can’t have a private conversation with me and him when she’s around.

If it was my bio or our joint child i’d tell them to quit it as i’m having a conversation, but I feel like I’m being the mean step mother, she just gets on my nerves in general constantly interfering in what i’m doing so i’m not sure if i’m being oversensative?

She doesn’t just do it with me she is even worse when he has his friends over, I’ve witnessed her trying to crawl in his lap blocking conversations with his friends it seemed so odd as she is tall, again if it was one of my bios I would tell them to knock it off.

Indigo's picture

I'm certain that your daily life is interrupted by a large-and-growing teen SD. SD is likely wrestling puberty AND 4 shared nights of visitation per month.

Do the math.

I hear the excuses, the reasons, the explanations & justifications. Been there. Reality for SD is that she may see her father 4 nights per month. Of those 4 niğhts, SD has to compete with SM & the blended kids for minimal attention units. Likely fact.

We see overgrown "warthog" & family sees charmingly gawky kids. Can you cut SD some slack while keeping your boundaries?

TwoOfUs's picture

I’m always confused by people who say that EOWE is 4 nights a month.

We had EOWE and we ended up w/6 nights a month...Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights. Plus a dinner during the week.

We actually got them a lot more often than the CO said...but just what was stated in the CO, once you added holidays...we had them a full 1/3 of the year.

Stepmom3333's picture

yes we do have her Friday to Sunday, and some of the holidays too. I guess it’s not a lot but it’s what her parents had arranged, we are in the UK so it’s whats standard over here, we cannot do midweek due to his work schedule 

Indigo's picture

Actually, it was much more convoluted than that to begin with. Friday after school til 11 am Saturday --- then Sunday from noon til 6pm. One midweek dinner for 2 hours.

Holidays tended to be spent more with us except for actual holiday days.

Eventually, visitation evened out but splitting every weekend into parcels versus every other weekend was difficult.

I'm not familiar with Friday/Sat AND Sunday overnights.  I can see the pro's and con's there..

TwoOfUs's picture

Well my DH was pretty rabid about his days and insisted on getting everything he was entitled to. I think it's likely the CO actually said Friday/Saturday nights but DH added Sunday and BM didn't notice. She isn't the brightest bulb and is very chaotic. Maybe 4 nights is more standard. 

We also took tons of holiday time and still took our two full weekends during months with a holiday week. So for instance, when we had skids for Spring Break (which was every single year, for some reason)...we took the full week including the weekend on either end...and then still took our "regular" EOWE days...which meant we ended up having skids 3 out of 4 weekends. 

Basically, on non-holiday months we officially had skids 8 days out of the month...and on holiday months that went to 16-17 days...plus the evening dinners. It ended up feeling like a lot to me. 

Stepmom3333's picture

I am being unreasonable, I haven’t said anything about it. She defiantly doesn’t have to compete for my attention when she’s here, I make sure I take a back seat and we focus activities and meals around her, and I take the other kids so he can spend alone time. I guess I should let this one slide then 

Monkeysee's picture

I disagree that this is acceptable or normal behaviour due to the EOWE schedule. Kids need rules & boundaries & parents are supposed to teach their children to be respectful of other people.

Interrupting or blocking conversation is rude, and this girl is old enough to be taught to behave better than that. The fact that your OH only sees his daughter a few nights a month is irrelevant, he still needs to teach her manners & correct her when she’s being rude or disrespectful.

That said, I do think it’s important that kids get 1:1 time with their BP’s, time where they know they’ll get the BP all to themselves & no one else to share them with. Nearly every weekend we’ve got my skids DH will take them out for dad time, which I think is really important!

I don’t believe you need to take a ‘backseat’ to SD, I certainly don’t take a backseat to my skids because I’m the other adult in our home & the boys don’t rule the roost. They need their dad time for sure, but they’re still expected to be polite, respectful & decent kids while they’re with us. 

Stepmom3333's picture

and I have often felt that she has boundary issues. For example she will pull the toddler around mothering him and is unable to read when he’s had enough and getting frustrated, the same goes with the family cat she will pull it around until it’s yowling for her to leave her alone (she’s a sweet natured cat and won’t bite or scratch) but she won’t stop until we tell her to leave alone, despite us repeatedly explaining how to know when the cat/toddler has had enough.

she also only has one friend at school and is always getting into arguements with the other girls at school because she gets involved in their business telling them what to do, I’ve tried to help by explaining nicely that she needs to try and not be so bossy.

Shes a well meaning girl but she has a way about her that rubs people up the wrong way, i’m always nice to her but I can’t help but feel irritated by some of her ways.

She does get one on one time with her dad, to be honest she does rule the house when she’s hear but as people have pointed out she is here so little that I just turn a blind eye to it 

Monkeysee's picture

I’d talk to your DH about this. Have a read through the adult forums & take a look at how well allowing the kids to rule the roost turns out when they’re adults..

Your DH isn’t parenting this kid at all. Why is she mothering the toddler at all? And pulling the cat around? Why is that allowed? 

I wouldn’t be ‘nice’ about either of those things. There are certain things you really don’t need to leave up to your other half, respecting your own child or pet absolutely fall under that category!

My YSS kicked at our cat once, he meant it playfully but I still told him sternly he was never to do that again under any circumstance. If either of them tried parenting my child I’d draw a line whether DH liked it or not. 

These kids are going to be adults some day. They won’t just magically understand what appropriate behaviour is if they’ve always been taught they can get away with the things your SD gets away with. She’ll be a 20/30/40+ something who interrupts & is a general menace if he doesn’t start teaching her otherwise. 

No thank you!!

Stepmom3333's picture

to pull the cat around or the toddler, I do intervene as does my other half and try to explain the boundary but there are never any punishments attached. I agree that she shouldn’t be mothering my child but my OH says that she is just trying to be helpful which it is but I find it sooooooo annoying.

I think we are heading for trouble too, we have already had glimpses of her kicking off when my OH has had to say no.

I posted as I wasn’t sure if I was being unreasonable, I’ve got some people saying yes due to short acess time and some saying no. Step parenting is such a minefield it’s one of those things that as hard as you try you can’t always be right 

MrsStepMom's picture

My SS does this and it drives me nuts. I however am done worrying about being rude since he is so rude. I simply stop talking, look him in the eyes and say “I wasn’t speaking to you” until he walks away. I am done with it. He seriously eavesdrops non stop. 

TwoOfUs's picture

It's pretty common for kids this age to eavesdrop...but it should be stopped. My 9-year-old niece loves to listen in on adult conversations...she'll walk slowly out of the room if she thinks her mom and I are talking about something interesting. It's kind of hilarious. 

My sister laughs and tells her to scoot and "quit being so nosy about everything!" That's how parents should respond to this kind of behavior. It's not awful of her or unusual...but it should be addressed. 

Stepmom3333's picture

do the exact same thing as your sister if it were one of my bios, just because it’s my SD I feel a little uneasy.

TwoOfUs's picture

Yeah...I hear you. I never could discipline or correct my skids either. 

I can correct my niece and nephews when they're with me, but not my skids. I think it's because I know deep down that I love and adore my niece and nephews and don't have those same feelings for my skids...as much as I've tried. That makes discipline difficult. 

My skids are all aged out now, but I used to deal with it proactively by setting rules and expectations for our home to try to get rid of behavior that annoyed me and made my home intolerable when they were around. For instance, YSD used to love to blare the TV full volume starting at 7 am, so I made a "no TV until noon" rule that I asked my DH to enforce...because I need quiet mornings, especially on the weekends. 

I also disliked the free-for-all with food, snacks, and sodas...so I started putting menus on the fridge listing what was allowed for snacks and drinks over the weekend or week...and also institutued a two veggie or fruit snacks earns you one cookie/snack cake/chip kind of snack and a two sodas a day rule. 

I didn't enforce these rules or discipline...but I did set rules for my home and DH enforced them, for the most part. 

Maybe you could figure out something similar? 

Harry's picture

Problem. For not making it clear to his DD that there is times he is having a adult talk and she should leave and go play 

justmakingthebest's picture

In my house I talk where ever I damn well please. It's my house. The kids don't pay for it, they can leave whatever room I am in. This is for my bios too! I guess I just raised my kids to not be rude and when the conversation doesn't include them, they can stay out of it.

tog redux's picture

The thing is, it may not bother DH.  There is a wide range of parenting that's "good enough", and this falls in that.  You may not want your kids to do that, but he may not care, and it's his kid.  I would probably think it's annoying as well, and ideally, he doesn't want you to be annoyed.

But if you talk to him about it and he won't set limits, you can't do anything other than set your own boundaries.  If you are having a conversation with him and she does this, just say, "I'll talk to you about it later,"  and move on. 

justmakingthebest's picture

How irritating! 

What I would do is stop speaking when that happens next time. Look down at her and then back at your DH and turn around a walk away. If DH says anything to you just say "we can talk later". 

Keep doing that. He will get the clue and hopefully start correcting her for being rude.

STaround's picture

That if OP wants to have a private convo, he can wait.  

Thisisnotus's picture

I have a similar situation with DH's 11 year old DD, she interupts non stop. I also have the lap sitting, climbing all over him stuff and I honestly think that as an almost 12 year old....stop acting like a toddler climbing all over your dad that is so weird and to me a sign of immaturity and some issues.I have an almost 12 year old DD and I can't imagine her acting like that.

flmomma08's picture

My SD is the same age and she used to do this ALL THE TIME, even when she spent 50-90% of her time here (DH and BM have changed custody agreements quite a bit). If the conversation is private, I tell her to go to her room or the living room - anywhere besides where we are talking. Yes DH should probably be the one to do it but if he won’t, I will. I’m not going to be disrespected in my own home. I tell the same thing to my BD so I’m not singling out SD. I think it’s rude for any child to do that when adults are speaking privately.  She’s gotten better over the years after being corrected tons of times but she will still try to do it if no one tells her otherwise. 

Rags's picture

So, if you put your kids above your husband why bother being married?

This is the recipe for toxic spawn hell in blended family marriages.

Kid presence in any location is dependent on their behavior and equity life partners are also equity parents to any children in the marrital home.  If the kid is behaving, their should be no issues. If the kid is intruding that is not appropriate and the kid should be told to leave the room. Including the kitchen.

If any wife of mine informed me that if I correct her prior relationship progeny while in my presence I am out, she would have until the lockmith arrived to rekey the locks to pack her shit and her kid and leave.

I will not be second to anything or anyone in my marriage.  No adult should ever be.  Equity life partnership is equity life partnership and kids are not a party to that partnership. They are the top responsibility within that partnership but that is all. They never take priority over the partners or the partnership. Any adult who would put their child over their partner has no business having a partner.

IMHO of course.

STaround's picture

I know, you do not have your own kids. 

You can make your own demands.  I expect everyone in my house to be polite.  If you want to have a private conversation, you have a room for that.  

Many, many times, you have told a woman to throw out a man, even if it is not clear who owns the house.  Double standard. 

Rags's picture

What is impolite about saying "You are not  a part of this conversation. Wait until your mother/father and I are through talking."?  Then if the kid continues, instructing them to leave the room until they can learn to be polite?  In my experience and understanding that is called parenting. Or at least a part of parenting.

The be reasonable or move on philosophy is not a gender specific perspective. It is a behavior related perspective.  I do not favor either women or men when dealing with a toxic partner or a partner that does not recognize their partner's status as an equity life partner and parent. The door works just as effecively with women as it does with men.

Fortunately most people are reasonable and are decent parents.  So these situations do not have to grow into relationship deal breakers.

Rags's picture

Yep, I own it.  I also advise men to boot toxic partners. I am happy to own it.

A child standing with adults isn't a problem.  A child interrupting adult conversation is. Partucularly when it is a regular behavior.   Two very different kid behaviors.  One is polite and appropriate. The other is neither polite nor appropriate.

We are all a product of our life experiences.  Different people will tolerate different things.  The issues arrise when one partner has more stringent behavioral standards than the other. It is an issue that the adults have to work out and kids have zero part in that discussion beyond receiving and complying with the appropriate message.

IMHO of course.

Winterglow's picture

"I expect everyone in my house to be polite."

How do you expect kids to learn about being polite if you never correct them whe they're being rude? Being polite also includes children knowing when not to butt in.

As for going somewhere private for conversations that don't concern them, that would make for some very stilted exchanges. You can't even talk about work at home because you preemptively decide you don't want a kid butting in?  If you remember that your car is running low on petrol and you tell DH he'll have to fill the tank tomorrow and a child decides to give his opinion while you're talking, you don't tell him it's rude to interrupt? You scuttle off to your bedroom?

TwoOfUs's picture

lol.

Um...my mom had 6 kids and my parents were the best ever...and they told us to go away / get out of their faces / get out of the kitchen / go outside until dinner / etc. ALL THE TIME.

Guess what...that's very healthy for kids to realize that the grown-ups are in charge and that their worlds don't revolve around us. Sometimes, I got to snuggle next to my parents on the couch or crowd in on a hug or help my mom with dinner...and sometimes they told me to scoot because I was getting underfoot. 

They were very loving...and my whole family is still tight. No one has been scarred for life...we're all healthy, fully-functioning adults who are contributing to society, in fact. Not a small feat to raise 6 kids to adulthood and not have a single 'black sheep' in the bunch. 

But sure. You do your child-centric thing and continue to chastise people who don't agree with you. Let us know how it turns out in 15-20 years. 

Monkeysee's picture

STaround that’s absolutely ridiculous, I’m glad my DH has more sense about his kids than you do about yours. My parents actually parented me, and if I interrupted their conversation anywhere in the house, I was told I was being rude & they were speaking. I then had to wait until they asked me what I wanted to talk about. 

Telling your DH you’ll kick him out if he ever corrects your child? What a wonderful marriage that must be! If my DH told me I could never correct the boys when they’re rude to me, I never would have married him. Dealing with that kind of toxicity would NEVER have been worth it. But as I said, luckily my DH has more sense than that & is a much better parent who actually holds his kids accountable for their behaviour.

Booboobear's picture

you know this reminds me about this weekend when we were invited over to SS& DIL's house, me and DIL were watching SGD4 jumping on trampoline, and shes doing flips and "Watch ME!!" over and over and we are sitting in chairs outside the trapoline and netting, and me and DIL are trying to talk about some topic and SGD keeps on with the "Watch ME!!" and I just keep finishing my sentence to DIL while watching SGD4 do flips.  then DIL interups me to yell to SGD  "Don't be rude!" "Me and grandma are talking!" and then I forget what we are talking about and feel awkward.  In my day of raising kids, we just finish our sentence while the kids ramble on then we talk to the kids about manners afterwards.   It's distracting to talk to a person with a face in their armpit.  I would forget what I was talking about too.  My DH used to put SD up on his neck and carry her around like that if we went to a park or library or something.  It was her throne.  all the other kids and skids had to walk and be the normal size of a child.  and I had to have a 9 foot tall totem pole wtih my husbands face protruding out from SD's thighs and legs for a husband.  It was super annoyoing and I told him so.  that stopped.

Rags's picture

No, you are not being unreasonable.  She is doing this crap on purpose and needs to be pulled up short on this crap.

By you and by your DH.  If she can't behavior appropriately when around others, she should not be around others.  

Zero tolerance solves this. It should not be tolerated and for sure she needs to be led to her room when she goes all lap dance on daddy when guests are present... or any other time for that matter.

2Tired4Drama's picture

And what SD is doing with her body language (inserting herself under DH's arm, staring rudely, sitting in his lap, bossing toddlers/pets around, etc.) is essentially telling everyone that SHE is the Alpha female in your household.

Nip that cr@p in the bud right now.  At the age of 11, she is intelligent enough to understand boundaries and also know the facts of life.   IMO, once a girl gets to puberty she should no longer be aggressively sitting in her father's lap.  You need to point-blank tell your DH that she is now too big to be doing that - especially in front of others - and he MUST tell her to stop. He also needs to explain to her that YOU are his wife and when you are having an adult conversation, she is not to interrupt.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

We see posts about this fairly often. It's something that crops up with girls who are entering puberty/maturing sexually. Females tend to be territorial creatures, and 2Tired has explained it well. I'd imagine in healthy, intact families this behavior would be recognized by the mom and swiftly dealt with, but divorced dads are often clueless or parent from guilt so it goes unaddressed.

Give your SO the facts, tell him this is common stuff and him correcting the behavior is a necessary part of helping SD mature in a healthy way.

Stepmom3333's picture

I’ve been growing increasingly irritated by SD as she gets older, but now I come to think about it she’s been proverbially pissing all over my territory.

All the things that have been getting my back up have been her trying to make herself the boss in our house. It’s very subtle and most of it’s her “trying to help” for example I was gardening at the weekend and every time I put down the garden fork to walk away to get something else she would pick it up and start doing what I was doing (except she was actually undoing what I was doing) I repeditly had to tell her to leave along but I was saying it too softly. If it was my bio a 3 year old I’d tell him once to stop and then anything else he’d be in telling off territory.

she tries to tell me what to do with my baby, for example if I say he’s hungry, she will say he’s tired. She even sometimes comes upstairs when i’m putting the toddler to bed and says I’ll take over, she lays out his clothes for him to wear in the morning, despite the fact that I let him pick what to wear (within reason) he hates being told what to put on and often kicks off when she does this.

she also tries to control mealtimes, refusing to eat what I cook, saying she wants something else.

The real joke is her dad actually moved into my house, so she’s come along with him and tried to take over as boss of the house. I think it’s time I stopped being so laid back and put my foot down.

If I started climbing under my OH’s arm/into his lap while he was talking to SD that would be rude so I don’t see why it’s any different the other way round - it’s common curtesy 

TwoOfUs's picture

It wouldn't be any different - it's territorial behavior and she's old enough to learn better. If she were talking to her dad and you came up and obstructed her view or re-focused his conversation onto you or started hugging and kissing all over him, that would be incredibly rude. She's doing the same thing and needs to be taught how to behave. 

My sister has a stepson who lives with them full-time (long story...but mom lost custody altogether). When he was about 9 or 10 he started doing this thing that really annoyed my sister. Starting about 10 minutes before his dad got home from work, he would stand at the bottom of the stairs in the foyer and bounce up and down on his toes waiting for his dad to come through the door. Then he'd bolt to his dad's side the second he stepped through the door and start talking a mile a minute. 

My sister found this incredibly off-putting but couldn't quite figure out why. But she eventually realized it was the inherent competitiveness of it...like her SS was wanting to get his dad "first" before anyone else. Why did he feel the need to do that? It really bothered her...but eventually he grew out of it. I think she did say something to her husband about it, though...and my BIL addressed it by telling his son to let him get into the living room and put his stuff away in the office before talking to him. The living room is open concept with the kitchen and is where they typically hang out...so this put everyone back on "equal" footing. 

I think this is part of the weird, hidden dynamics of stepfamilies that stepmoms have to deal with and no one else sees. All the time I see Internet warriors piling on with stepmoms and saying things like: "Really? She only gets 4 days a month!" Or "But the kids were there fiiirrrssstttttt!!!!" Or "Why don't you just grow up. It's not a competition!" 

But what they don't understand is all the ways the stepkids themselves become territorial and try to turn it into a competition...and how hurtful that is within a marriage...especially if someone is just allowed to be rude to you and the behavior is never corrected by your spouse. 

cjax865's picture

To me this isn't related to the EOWE schedule at all, it's just a matter of manners which need to be taught. Interrupting is inpolite. Period. My stepkids used to do this when they were younger and I simply said "Just a minute, OSD (or YSS), we were talking...." Didn't take many times before they understood. My DH just looked at me blankly when I did it but then he understood and was fully on board.

Lndsy747's picture

I think you'll get differing opinions because people have different tolerances for this type of behavior. I agree with some others that this isn't an EOW issue and honestly not even a child of divorce issue really.

My personal opinion is that kids especially at your step daughters age should know how to be respectful and not interrupt a conversation. This behavior drives me nuts, luckily I never had to deal with SD acting this way.

I do have several friends who allow their kids to do this without trying to correct the behavior at all. If I'm on the phone with them I just tell them to call me back because I'm not about to sit in the phone listening to you talk to your kid.(I don't say the last part to them) I think this really has to do with more parents treating kids as equals than children.

shellpell's picture

Does anyone know why when you state that some posters aren't stepparents, the comment gets deleted and you get a warning for revealing private info (which I got), when it's not private info when it's written in people's bios? But when you state a fact, for example like STAround did about Rags, that he doesn't have his own bio kids, it's ok? (Mind you, I don't think it's wrong for STAround to point out that fact.) A fact is a fact, right? Neither good or bad. Some posters have pointed out other facts about other posters - that they have a certain number of kids, that they don't have kids, that they're their husband's 3rd wife, etc. etc. Why is one fact in particular - that a poster is not a stepparent - taboo and grounds for deleting comments stating such and grounds for warnings? I am really confused about this. It doesn't make sense to me that certain facts cannot be stated and others can.

Monkeysee's picture

No idea. My comment about a certain poster not being a SM was deleted from this thread. Luckily OP saw it before it was deleted so I at least I managed to warn her about that person! Lol

TwoOfUs's picture

Very good question. 

I wonder if our PMs are also being monitored for certain facts that must be redacted. 

Let's hope so! 

Booboobear's picture

well I got a private message warning that I was having "Mean Girl" behavior and that "Mean GIrl Behavior would not be tolerated."  In the past, I have defended other posters from the real "Mean GIrl" behavior and gotten my responses deleted, but the real "Mean Girl" responses remain on Step Talk.  So Go Figure  so now I just ignore the real Mean Girl responses and hope that the OP's who are hurting and looking for comfort are smart and brave enough to see through the bad intentions. 

strugglingSM's picture

I have one SS who does this. If DH talks to me or god forbid, shows me affection when SSs are around, this SS has to swoop in and get attention, too. 

This SS would also periodically spy on us. One time, I saw him sitting outside our bedroom door late at night, just staring at the door. 

I find it creepy. I don't try to interfere with his time with DH when he is around. 

A couple of times, DH has told this SS to buzz off because we were having an adult conversation that was none of his business. DH has also laughed about how SS is competing with me for attention, so he knows it's happening. 

Siemprematahari's picture

"I  think it’s time I stopped being so laid back and put my foot down."

^^^^^^^^Yes you need to shut this rude behavior down like YESTERDAY. When I was growing up I would have never dreamed of pulling some disrespectful BS like that and my parents would have had my @ss for it. This all comes down to teaching SD about respect, boundaries, and remaining consistent. She continues to do it because no one corrects her and she will keep doing it because she knows she can.

You have to make your role in the home KNOWN. You have to establish your position. She is the child and you are the head female in charge. She doesn't run sh!t and have a say in anything. She is a child and needs to stay in her place. When she's older and gets her own place she can do what she wants but this is your home and you run it as you see fit.