You are here

am i wrong for wanting her to have a life?

fedupstepmomma's picture

My stepdaughter is 12, and so far this summer, she hasn't really spent much time with friends unless they spend the night here, which i hate because she acts too goofy and hyper and then becomes disrespectful. the kids have been out of school since june 9th, and she hasn't done much at all except sit around and eat (she is starting to get a belly on her).

I told my boyfriend that she needs to go out and be at a friend's house. there really isn't anything to do here, and quite frankly, her depressed-zombie-like attitude depresses ME and she is a drag to be around. plus she won't help around the house at all. my boyfreind says that she should be allowed to do what she wants and if she wants to sit around all day she should, because it is summer and this is her home.

I am really not trying to make her feel unwelcome. i mean, this IS her home, but i feel like i want a break. my boyfriend works basically two jobs, so he isn't around much to entertain her or deal with her crap.

startingover2010's picture

nope, not wrong. went through that same crap with exsd.

since your bf works alot, maybe he can put her into some kind of summer camp or maybe some activity like a sport? when i was 12, we went to the beach all the time with my cousins and aunt and uncle. maybe u guys can do that if u have a beach nearby?

LizzieA's picture

It doesn't sound healthy to me. I bet her mom sits around and gets fat, too. She needs friends and activities to be healthy. And she needs to do chores. Ask BF if he wants to raise an irresponsible, obese, anti-social slob.

startingover2010's picture

We ask her all the time what she would like to do, and she says nothing.

My boyfriend doesn't think she will become obese. He feels that she is just going through a phase.....a phase she has been going through since birth i guess, since she has been in a depressed state all her life.

Blendedfam, she has up and down moods like most preteens, however, hers are always extreme. she has been diagnosed with bipolar, and it on medicine. as far as inviting her to go somewhere, i merely suggest she go out, but i do not force her.

as far as chores go, she refuses to help and goes into a fit of rage whenasked or forced.

I am confused's picture

Look for day camps, week camps, activities, etc. Force her into social situations.

Nyx's picture

Exactly! And that is the parent's job to sign the kids up!

Well, at least SD is very comfortable in your home. That's saying something but BF needs a fire under his butt to keep his kid active. ---that's your job (in very fine print LOL)