You are here

Any advice on finding a Couples Therapist?

Vichychoisse's picture

We've decided to go for counseling after the last blowout wherein SO told me he was "doing me a favor" in terms of him taking care of his kids. Heh. Obv we have some differing expectations here.

For any of you that have had success (or terrible experiences!) in therapy, can you offer me any advice in terms of choosing one, how to tell if they're decent, the kinds of questions to ask to determine if they're effective or a good fit? Are there MFTs that specialize in step/blended families, and are they better?

We mainly need to learn to argue effectively, express our needs without criticism/blame/rehashing old crap, and to control our emotions a little to avoid blurting out shit like "I'm doing you a favor". Ha. This extends to me too of course. Also a "safe" environment to put things on the table and work on them constructively. The usual, I suppose.

ANY advice you can offer would be helpful. Kinda feel like I'm wandering in the dark here, and not sure I should trust Yelp reviewers for something so important. Sushi, yes. Saving my relationship, not so much. Biggrin