You are here

Braces Question

Ginger_SM's picture

So, we received a receipt for the initial appointment for the OSD to get braces. BM previously had no conversation regarding braces with DH but we kind of knew because OSD had made comments to both of us. Although, we did say we felt a discussion should have been had prior to an appointment because it is a major expense and they have joint legal. 

Well I am starting a new job and we can put the girls on our dental plan as well so more cost is covered. We brought up possibly waiting to get them due to this. BM responded saying she is willing to wait if the waiting period isn't too long. But what if the waiting period is a year, are we out of line asking to wait then? OSD is 13 so a year wouldn't make a huge difference I feel. 

notarelative's picture

First, you should find out exactly how long the waiting period is. Then Dad should talk to the orthodontist and find out if waiting would make a difference. (Note: Dad should have the conversation with the orthodontist. Since BM didn't inform Dad about the initial appointment, Dad should want to get treatment information first hand.)

momjeans's picture

In my personal experience, dental benefits generally only cover $1000 of braces, with the rest being out-of-pocket. Also in my experience, sometimes it’s pertinent to put braces on sooner than later. These are things that should be discussed in a group setting with the other parent and the orthodontics office, if feasible.

Worst case being you being in touch with the payment department, the other party being in touch with the payment department, then that department letting both parties know what’s the best option in regards to treatment  and payment. 

If waiting is not an option, they may give you a cash payment discount. And split down the middle, per joint legal responsibilities, it may not be that much different, money wise. 

Ginger_SM's picture

Well she is covered under BM's husbands dental insurance already, it would just be adding additional coverage. I know my insurance would cover only $1000 but hey it is something. 

We live in a different state than the girls currently which makes this a little more difficult. Both my husband and I agreed we would need a treatment plan directly from the orthodontics office and we would want to make payments directly with them as well. I agree about Dad contacting the office directly with questions  once we know the waiting period with our new insurance.