You are here

Car Insurance Question

Totheend12345's picture

SD16 has not really came over, or talked to us since September. She drives BM car, and BM does not have her on her insurace as a driver.

DH has SD on our car insurance as a driver, we had a car for her to use when she was at our house. Long story short we are selling the car becuase she never comes over, and it just sitting there no one using it. (also we had rules for her to use it and she refused to follow any of them, she just wants to run around wild, use DH as a bank, and treat us like poo). The question is do we drop SD off the insurance, or leave her on it once the car sells?

I am worried that is SD gets into an accident in BM car, and since BM doesn't have full coverage, or her even listed as a driver it will not cover it. Will we be stuck with the rest? If we have her as a driver on our insurance will it cover it?

Someoneelse's picture

I say remove her, and let BM worry about it. why would you have her insured if she's not even there and you have no control over what she does or where she goes?

ESMOD's picture

I don't think that your insurance will cover SD if she is driving her mom's car.  Usually, the car owner insures the car and lists any drivers (though there are some states that automatically consider a spouse a driver whether listed or not).  

So, if SD may ever drive some of your cars... maybe she stays on it.  But, I don't think it would help for BM's car... the insurance is on the car.. not necessarily the driver I think.

BUT.. of course, call your insurance company and confirm what it means for your policy.. your state might have more specific rules etc...

Totheend12345's picture

I agree I will have to call them. BM is bad about not having insurance at all, that is what makes me worry.

Harry's picture

Insurance company will say, what stop her from using you other car,  cars. That as long as she is living with you, you must keep her on insurance.   You can may be get an umbrella insurance policy, for being sued 

Someoneelse's picture

It sounds like she isn't living with them, she's living with BM and doesn't even come around anymore

Survivingstephell's picture

You lay it all out for your insurance agent and follow their advice.  Each state is different.    Do believe driving uninsured in every state is against the law and SD must know this.  Cover your butts  on this one.   

simifan's picture

Call your agent. I let mine know my ExH would possibly let insurance lap. She suggested I insure DS as liability Just in case. But rules vary state to state. 

caninelover's picture

In our state there is a portion of the policy that covers the vehicles and its regular drivers.  But there is also a liability portion that follows the driver - so if your SD was an occasional driver of another car it would cover her if she got into an accident with that car that was her fault.

Definitely call your insurance agent and ask.  In your situation I would remove her altogether and let BM handle it.   

2Tired4Drama's picture

Any time there is a minor involved, there may be liability -- for BOTH parents. I would be so worried if some 16 year old skid was out driving (especially uninsured in other parent's car) and got into a horrific accident. You might be facing a civil suit since she is a minor and your DH is her parent. 

This is just ONE of many considerations people need to think about before getting married and into a skid situation. That's part of the reason I didn't want to marry my SO while his kids were still minors. God only knows what trouble they can get into. In today's litigious society there is no shortage of lawyers who will rake you over the coals to pay for damages caused by some snot-nosed minor skid who maims/kills someone while driving.   

Loxy's picture

I don't know how insurance works in the US but I've never heard of covering a person (no matter what car they drive) which is what you seem to be suggesting? Why would you even keep insurance for a car you are selling? 

If SD drives BM's car then it's up to BM to adequately insure her car period. That's not mean, it's just a fact!