You are here

Child support question

Yourstruly's picture

I’m unclear of California law on Child support. Is child support paid until the age of 18 or until they graduate high school?  SS will be 17 when he graduates

Thank you in advance  

notsurehowtodeal's picture

Child support in California is usually paid until the child turns 18. However, if the child remains unmarried and in highschool, it goes to 19. In your case, support will need to be paid until SS is 18.

Rags's picture

In most states CS is page until age 18 or HS grauation. Whichever is the later.d

I believe that is the case for California unless otherwise stipulated in the CO or divorce decree.

CLove's picture

As far as my research and talking with a Family Law Attorney, Child support is paid when child is BOTH 18 and a high school graduate. Thats why Toxic Troll will get an extra month of un-earned money from DH.

Rags's picture

My SS graduated from HS three mos before his 18th b-day.  CS continued until his b-day.  Even though for most of that time SS was on SpermLand visitation. 

If SS would have nailed them with CS for college CS could have continued until SS turned 22 but would have gone directly to SS rather than his mom.  SS let them guilt him out of that.  Sadly.