You are here

Essure vs. Tubal Ligation vs. IUD

hbomb's picture

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, but I am looking for fresh answers.

I absolutely cannot imagine having children of my own. Never have, and I honestly think I never will (no matter what my friends think!). My DH supports me either way, but he is definitely not pushing to have another child. I am curious to see opinions on these methods of contraception. I have heard plenty of negatives and positives on all three. I have had laparoscopic surgery done (gallbladder) in the past and I had no issues, so I was thinking tubal ligation was the way to go. I have also been reading about Essure, but like the IUD, these imbedded objects can cause pain and float as well. I know the best answer is to talk to my OBGYN, but I think he might try to talk me out of it since I am 30. I want to be able to approach this topic with intelligence and confidence. Also, since these are now free thanks to the ADA, we are looking into these more instead of a vasectomy - which my husband has no problem in getting. I wonder why prevention for women is covered but not for men? I guess that is a topic for another conversation...

Thanks in advance for any input! Smile

Orange County Ca's picture

The aspirin method works best and costs very little. Take one aspirin and hold it between your knees.

hbomb's picture

Not judging at all, but goodness 24 is young!

I think about that too- How permanent it is. I really don't have any desire to have children so I feel it's a good choice for me. I know some people would say that having a SS affects my views and that my own child would be different, but I never envisioned myself with a child so I don't see how that would change. Thanks for the input Smile

hereiam's picture

I also have never had children and had a tubal (cut & burnt) when I was 30. My doctor agreed to do it when I was 27 but I had some abnormal paps so he wanted to wait to be sure I wasn't going to need a hysterectomy.

I am glad I did it and I've never had any problems. Of course, nine months after I did it, I started seeing my DH, who would have gladly gotten a vasectomy but, oh well.

As with any surgery, a good, experienced doctor is a must.

Orange County Ca's picture

WAIT! You're married right? No gentleman would let his wife go through something like this instead of having a vasectomy. I had mine and the next day did physical work for 8 hours.

hbomb's picture

Oh he offered to do the vasectomy! I've just had so many procedures done concerning female issues I thought hey, what's one more...

SMof2Girls's picture

I'd go the vasectomy route if I were you. If he's willing to do it, it's a very non-invasive procedure with literally no side effects after a few days of dull pain (treated with ibuprofen).

Dizzy's picture

I've had the copper IUD and liked it enough for the non-hormonal protection aspect, but it made my periods crazy heavy for 7+ days. I took the plunge last fall and had the Essure coils inserted. So far so good. I'm not pregnant. My periods are so much lighter and shorter now. I haven't had any complications, only just a little sharp pain in that region very recently and only once.

Dizzy's picture

Hormonal BC doesn't agree with everyone. I chose Essure at 36 and am perfectly fine. I knew that DH and I didn't want any more children, so why wait til 40?

SecondGeneration's picture

I've got the implant, Nexplanon. Its great, its a progestogen-only implant, its implanted in your upper arm, and lasts for 3 years.
Its been around since 2003 but wasnt used in the USA till 2006 (according to Wiki).

I am about to come to the end of my 3 year term so will be going back to the Drs to have it removed and a new one put in.

Personally this has been the best contraceptive for me, I never trusted the pill, I felt I gained weight on the three monthly injection and as Im 24 and want children in the future I cannot look at the more permanent options.
If you have any measure of doubt as to whether you may want children in future I really would recommend looking into the implant, you only have to deal with it once every 3 years and we all know how much life can change in 3 years.
Getting it put in is simple, least in the UK, you go to the Dr and they give you an anesthetic, and inject it into your arm. Chances of it moving are small but the nexplanon implant is x-ray visible. You can feel it under your skin if you press on it.
After 3 years you go back to the dr and they give you the anesthetic and make a small cut to remove it and can put a new one in straight away.
If you want it taken out earlier you can do so and your fertility should return to normal immediately. (Whereas with the injection you have 12-24 months of after effect).

Most people have lighter periods on the implant. I personally have had ONE period in 3 years, seriously I have had the same pack of sanitry pads for 5 years now so theres an extra benefit Blum 3

SecondGeneration's picture

What I meant to add was that you could always look at having the implant for the next 3 or even 6 years whilst you weigh up whether or which permanent option is best for you. Im not sure how contraceptive all works in the USA.

AllySkoo's picture

I had my tubes tied, and like dtzyblnd, my periods got longer and heavier. So apparently there's that.

If your DH is willing to get snipped though, let him. Having your tubes tied is major abdominal surgery, with all the risks that implies. (Do your research and talk to the doc, but a quick search turned up a mortality rate of 1/25,000 in the US, which actually sounds about right for a surgery using general anesthesia - which this one would.) A vasectomy is a minor out-patient procedure (if more emotionally fraught for a guy).

Unfreakingreal's picture

I had my tubes tied at 28 after my 3rd son. Worked great for me. Before that, I'd get the Depo shot. Worked like a charm.

MdMom's picture

I have the IUD, after 3 different birth controls didn't work for me.
I was on the pill first, then I got pregnant with DD2. after she was born i got on the pill again, thinking a different brand would hinder different results, I had an infection and the antibiotics made the pill not work. = / then came DD18mo. After DD18mo, I tried the patch, I was allergic to the adhesive. So DS was created. FDH was going to get snipped, but his insurance doesn't cover it until he's 35... So I went with the IUD, until I convince myself I'm done having babies, I don't want anymore, but I have 7 years now to decide for sure.

It has been working like a charm!! I wish I would have gotten the IUD sooner. I have not periods, no bloating, there are times when I get horrible cramps, but hey, I'd rather be in pain for a few hours than to be pregnant again!

Rags's picture

It eventually got to where my DW could not use hormonal BC and we both are latex sensitive so we were using spermicidal methods. My DW is very prone to blood clots on hormonal BC. Her OBGYN has vetoed more kids as my bride nearly died of toxemia/preeclampsia with SS and the hormones associated with pregnancy would likely cause sever clotting issues. The Doc freaked out when my bride told her that we were not using a Rx'd BC method. So they decided on a non hormonal IUD (copper).
_
We both love it. She has had it for 3 years now and feels better, more confident, and is far more sensitive and responsive than she has ever been. Things were great before the IUD. Since they are stellar.

I offered to get a vasectomy but my DW was not supportive as I am a life long T-1 diabetic and she is paranoid about any injury to me and issues with healing. Not a worry from my perspective but she was adamant.

There was some notable discomfort for my bride when the IUD was inserted and a few days of minor cramping and bleeding. Once things settled in she has had no discomfort from the IUD. She has had some changes in her periods. Mostly they are lighter and more mild from a discomfort perspective but every once in a while she will have a very heavy and uncomfortable period. Occasionally her regularity will waver and she will have a period every couple of weeks rather than monthly.

Overall I think my bride would say the IUD has been a positive experience for her. My opinion is irrelevant as she is the one who has to deal with any negative consequences. If there was a workable option for me to take care of the BC responsibilities I would.