You are here

Falling for the trap

sam44's picture

Does your So ever set you up with a question about the skids that you know is a test for you rather than a genuine question?

I was finding it hard to bond with SS6 this weekend and SO was noticing it. So, he turned to me and says "I have a question for you, don't over-think it, just say the first thing that comes into your head….What jobs can you see each of the kids and skids doing when they are older? I'll say a name and you say the job"

Now, I know where he's going with this, so I directly ask "is this a test for me because I'm probably going to fail it and I don't really care"

He knows it's going to go...

BD Businesswoman
BS1 Surfer/Actor
BS2 Architect
SD Veterinarian
SS6 Loafer/Lifer/Loser

And as much as I really want to surprise him and say "SS6? Well, probably a doctor". I just can't bring myself to pass the test with flying colors.

In the end, I settle for SS being a mechanic or some kind of manual worker (I bite my tongue to not add…in prison) because I can already see his blood is boiling. "Why were all the others so successful. Do you think SS is not smart?" I say no. Why can't I just lie and settle for an easy life? No, he is not smart. His face drops and I only save myself by saying that the others (especially SD) are all way above average, so it's not a question of SS not being smart, just not being the kind of smart that the narrow education system requires. blah blah blah. I still failed the test. Ha ha.

Anne Boleyn's picture

I think you handled it fine. Why would he ask you that if he didn't want the truth? That is BS. If he does it again, tell him you're not participating in his silly games.