You are here

MIL asks for a 200.00 gift but gives me a 13.00 one

SweetMom's picture

She said for Christmas she wanted a westhuff knife set for Christmas. The cheapest one I found was on sale for 200.00. I posted this before. Some people suggested I go to Walmart and get her a cheap non brand set. I didn't get her the cheap one so it's in closet awaiting Christmas. I figured since she gave step daughter b day gift and bought dh a nice jacket and a man tool. Well my birthday was the other day and she hands me a voucher for a nail solan for 13.00. That's not enough to get a set of nails lol. Wtf I mean you have the nerve to ask for a expensive knife set, and these knifes were 50% off so they are originally 400.00. The full sets run 1500.00. If she didn't have the money I wouldn't let it get to me. Is this like a slap in my face? What's going on in her mind? And fil which is another story is usually over here every year on my bday but nothing now. I never wanted these people to give me gifts in the first place but they did and have been doing so for the past 5 years and it's more than what my mom does which is nothing, not even a call but then again my mom is not demanding what I should get her either. Maybe my husband pissed them off by spending more time with me instead of jumping to assist their every need.

CANYOUHELP's picture

That's 13.00 more than my skids give me....we give them hundreds each for birthdays, Christmas, etc. etc; my husband gets pretty decent presents, but our daughter and I, nothing. We do not go anymore..... we are happier too. I do not care what he gives them and I do not care to know anymore. You should stop and leave this mess to your husband and let him fund his entitled mother!

Your MIL is greedy just like my skids, it appears. I am sorry you are going through this entitlement championship too.

Thumper's picture

OH MY GOSH...sounds like it is time for the family talk.

"WE will no longer exchange gifts during at Christmas except for kids 18 and younger"

-----------------------------
If it makes you feel any better, my MIL (now dead) would send me 1/2 filled bottles of Avon bubble bath covered in scotch tape. And any other crap she could find amongst her hoard.
We held our breath as we opened anything from her. It went in the trash because nothing was usable, ever. It was disgusting.

But of course I / we made sure the kids sent her thank you cards.

Tuff Noogies's picture

lol - i LOVE ironing. but i absolutely refuse to do it strictly for convenience. i'm lazy- strike that- *efficient* with laundry. pull it out hot and hang or fold. but ironing dress shirts for a special occasion (funeral, lurch's homecoming, those kinds of things) i find super duper relaxing.

tuff loves to iron - who'd've thunk it? Wink
oh the irony.

ba-dum-bump!!!

clark6292's picture

You are doing better than me! I spent the first 8 years of my marriage buying cards, gifts, cooking meals, taking inlaws on vacations, and never received one personal card from them. Never one personal gift - and they are not wealthy but not poor either. I simply gave up. My thought was after 8 years of marriage, and giving them 2 grandsons in addition to gifts and vacations, and being a great wife to their son while he rose in ranks in his military career, and my inlaws never extended themselves I realized it was NEVER going to happen. It hurt to say goodbye to that unified family dream. But, it was also liberating to no longer seek the favor and acceptance. It has been 10 years since I put any effort into a relationship with them and I don't regret it. They can take or leave me, and I the same about them. At least now it is equitable and I am not resentful for giving so much, and getting so little in return

clark6292's picture

Who knows and who cares. My DH and I had a real conversation about it and he admitted they will never accept me because I am from California and come from an affluent family- so that apparently makes me a bad person in their eyes. Once DH and I reached consensus, after a long cry, I just moved on. Since then, thy do see their grandkids less because they no longer feel entitled to help themselves. I encourage my DH to visit them often- they are HIS parents...and no longer MY problem. I also insist that when my kids visit that negative statements are not made about me. I also do not speak negatively about inlaws to my kids. However, they are not that close with my inlaws...and I am perfectly okay with that.

Tuff Noogies's picture

oh h3ll no i would not be buying MIL a 200.00 gift. she can WANT all she wants, doesnt mean you are obliged. i dont think an adult relative should feel entitled to that.

i'm shocked my MIL will still send a Christmas present for me, as i havent spoken to her in well over four years.

SugarSpice's picture

my mil sided with the skids when they became teenagers and then adults and got sassy with me. one of them threatened me with bodily harm and she would not even say how wrong that was.

mil in no longer with us and i cant find it in myself to mourn her.