You are here

Not feeling the Christmas thing :(

SummerMomma719's picture

So my husband an I did a layaway for sd. We went down her list of stuff she wanted an he put practically everything. The cart was ful. I asked him if we could go look at stuff for the baby. So we did. I had 2 things in the cart an had to still pick an choose what I could get cause we already spent so much on sd. I figured we had intentions of getting for our dd. it's Christmas Eve an it's making me depressed as unwrap gifts because there's about 10 gifts wrapped for sd an 3 for my dd. I know she doesn't understand but I do. She's my first baby an this is her first Christmas. We are in a bad financial situation so I understand we can't get much. But why if we can't afford much for one we can go above an beyond for the other? I asked him why we couldn't return an item or 2 from sd stuff an grab something else for our dd an he said cause she is his daughter an wants to give her a nice christmas.. Yet I'm wrong for feeling upset about this and that's it's not ok.

SMof2Girls's picture

I get what you're saying, and I agree that your DH's approach to this is all wrong.

However, I don't really agree with buying presents for a baby. I mean, maybe one or two token gifts, but anything more than that is just excessive.

That does NOT mean that all available funds should divert to the other child. If money is tight, Christmas should be lean.

oncechoosetosmile's picture

No way that this is ok.The value spent should be the same .Of course the baby doesn't need so many toys , but the amount of 50% could have used for some nice clothes or even something that can be used in 6 month time.No way that all should be spend on one kid- I wonder what kind of message your DH tries to send there.Put your foot down in this,

No way that this is ok.The value spent should be the same .Of course the baby doesn't need so many toys , but the amount of 50% could have used for some nice clothes or even something that can be used in 6 month time.No way that all should be spend on one kid- I wonder what kind of message your DH tries to send there.Put your foot down in this,

SummerMomma719's picture

I put my foot down an tried telling him that it wasn't I'm but there was nothing could be done the gifts were bought an he wouldnt return any

onthefence2's picture

Outside of the baby getting fewer presents, the fact that he wants to give sd everything she wants when money is tight is a BIG issue. Very frustrating, I'm sure. What did he get YOU?

SummerMomma719's picture

We didn't exchange gifts. I'm not working an 2 we can't afford to put food on the table never mind gifts.