You are here

Positive Stories on ST

NaturallyMom's picture

There is a lot of negativity on Step Talk. Comes with the territory I think as it is the nature of venting.

Besides trying to offer advice as I also like advice, I like hearing the really good stories like when one member said she finally got to adopt her skids even though BM wanted to keep them after 3 years of neglect charges.

Or the little things like when your skid is grateful for what you do etc.

I would just like to read a good story if anyone wants to share here. Gives hope.

NaturallyMom's picture

Yes I completely agree with that.
Much like it is easier to criticize someone that it is to give a compliment ...

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the end your right to say it," - Voltaire

TheWife's picture

I have a positive story:

I managed to not go crazy for a whole 2 hours at my outlaws house! Now if that ain't positive, I don't know what it!

Rome wasn't built in a day, and my marriage won't be either.

NaturallyMom's picture

Yes!

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the end your right to say it," - Voltaire

usade's picture

Here's another positive:

The lady-balls I borrowed from TheWife also work even when I'm ohsoslightly inebriated!

Shell97's picture

I had posted a blog earlier about BM showing up, unannounced. But I did fail to mention the three nice things BM said right after she arrived. I guess b/c I was so focused on BM showing up without telling DH or I. So here they are....1 while SD was talking to her bf telling him that BM was here, BM said "no, tell him that both of your mom's are here." 2 when the nurse came in to discharge SD15 from the ER, the nurse asked "who gets the prescription & signs the paperwork? BM pointed at ME!! and 3 since BM showed up unannounced and I have a GYN appointment on Friday and was planning on having SD15 watch BS12 while I went, BM offered to take BS12 with them while I went to my appointment(if I don't decide to let BS12 stay home by himself or if BS12 decides not to go with DH to work).

But I do agree, we mostly come on ST to vent about our problems and rarely come on ST to blog about the good things that happen. Sometimes you will come across a blog about something good, but normally it is all negative blogging.

NaturallyMom's picture

That is awesome! BMs do that? They acknowledge our importance?

Shell97's picture

Thanks, but it hasn't always been that way. It started about 4 or 5 years ago. Before that, BM would always correct SDs, telling them that I am not their mom and they were not allowed to call me mom. But SDs didn't listen to her and have called me mom since DH & I got married. Which DH & I have been married for 9 years this June. And as far as what happened with the nurse at the ER, that shocked the hell out of me. B/C while we were going through the custody battle, BM pushed the issue of me signing any documents for SDs. BM insisted that I not be allowed to do so. But DH & I found a way around BM trying to say I can't. DH had a paper drawn up giving me the same rights as a guardian if DH is unavailable and we had it notarized. Which the state we live in, that is all they require. Doesn't have to be signed or entered into the courts. As far as BM offering to take BS12 with her & SD15 while I go to my appointment on Friday...for some reason BM & I have always offered to help each other out with our other kids that are not related to us either by marriage or blood. BM has another kid to her EH and about 3 or 4 years ago, BM couldn't find a daycare that they could afford to put their kid in over summer. And since I was going to be watching SDs for the summer, I offered to watch BMs other daughter. And I did end up watching her and BM actually paid me for watching her & supplied meals for the kid too. BM didn't pay me much, but it covered any extra snacks or items I needed for BMs kid. But I also feel that b/c BM showed up unannounced, that she should offer to watch my son. B/C before BM showed up, I had someone to watch BS while I went to my appointment.

Rags's picture

Positive Story....... My Kid (SS-17) is a great kid who may yet survive being raised by his Mom and I. Though he can be infuriating as any teen can be, he is a polite, good natured, caring young man. Now if he can just get past his incessent lying because he is conviced that he will get in less trouble than when he tells the truth he may yet have a chance of reaching viable adulthood and becoming a man of character and standing in his community.

As for the SpermClan. They are infinately entertaining and have no redeeming qualities in their entire gene pool. Does this count as positive? :?

And my wife ....... Wow! I am one lucky guy to have her as my muse, inspiration, joy and soul mate.

Best regards,

Success is rarely final. Failure is rarely fatal. It is character, courage and consistency of effort that count. Vince Lombardi (with some minor Rags modifications) To each according to their performance, screw Karl Marx. (Rags)

NaturallyMom's picture

Whenever I read about our spouses supporting us, I smile. I love to read those blogs.

I honestly believe half of the frustration you read on ST is about our DH's or DW's not being there to support the step parent due to fear of losing the child.

The bravery of our significant others is so POSITIVE!

NaturallyMom's picture

And I have a positive story for this morning (7am and I am on here!):

I just got back from the gym (confession: I am a gym rat. only place I can go to relieve stress and anger I suppose and not be judged). I am all sweaty and gross too.

SS9 was awake when I got back. I asked if he slept ok and he mumbled "mmm hhhh ... yes ma'am ..." Then he hugged me and put his head on my chest. As he exhaled I smelled his kitty litter breath and felt my heart swell in my chest. Guess he didn't care that I don't smell so good.
Then he said "I love you (NaturallyMom)" and just fell back to sleep.

Amazed's picture

Positive, not really a story...just a positive progression. When i first joined, I hated SD. Wanted nothing to do with her and wanted her to disappear from my life. Now, I don't hate her at all. I don't want her to disappear at all. I have learned the difference between frustration over her mother,frustration over my husband,frustration for myself and frustration over SD's normal tween behavior. before, I wasn't sorting through and realizing I have different sources of frustrations...I was letting myself believe it was all SD's fault.

Change because of ST. THAT'S my positive contribution on this lovely topic.

"Never let the hand you hold, hold you down." ~Aut

NaturallyMom's picture

And to read other's progression is also an awesome and positive experience.

It teaches us and if we are incapable of learning and growing, what is the point in living?

DISbelief's picture

I LOVE my stepson... and BM and I get along really well. It hasn't always been that way, and she still does things that drive me batty (just as I do her). But we are able to get over it quick and move forward.

DISbelief~

~You have to BE crazy to UNDERSTAND crazy!~ Wink

Wicked.Step.Monster's picture

My latest positive, because I really do have lots of them with my SDs.

Sunday night after SD14.5 gets home she writes on her fb: I really do love being at my dad's and it has nothing to do with my brother's (perfectson) friends coming over.

So I jokingly write, it's because you have such a freaking awesome step-mom!

She writes back, that's EXACTLY why I love it there!

Made me feel really good. Smile