You are here

Schedule with divorced dad

Flowerannie8729's picture

I'm been dating with a divorced dad for 6 months. We have known each other via a dating apps and we were apart since day 1 till now due to the pandemic. Our relationship was good and i fell sincere love from him. He has 1 daughter 5 years old and his daughter lives with her mom in another country, that's why he spent lots of time for me. I have a 8 years ol daughter living full time with me. While we were dating, everything was going well. We messaged everyday and called each other every day.  He messaged and called me to talk and say good night every day. 
My boyfriend has not met his daughter for 1.5 years due to the pandemic. And after 6 months of dating, i understood that he loves and misses his daughter so much.

Now, his daughter with his mom just moved to the same city with him and he is very happy to meet his daughter again. I totally know that his daughter is still on top. After they reunited, up to now, my boyfriend took care of his daughter for 2 days (the daughter's mom will take 100% custody and my boyfriend may have to take care of the daughter 2 days per week, mainly weekends).

After 2 days, i observed that once his daughter is with him, it seems he's very busy. He sent me some of their photos together, when i replied and asked 2-3 questions, he could not read my messages immediately and just replied by few emoticons. He even did not say goodnight and sent any message before my bedtime. I know that he wants to devote his time to his daughter and may be busy with her. But is it really impossible just to text some words and say good night? I had a feeling that i'm taking a backseat, the relationship in not the priority and more importantly he did not make me feel wanted. This really hurts my feelings. I'm not a selfish person and also told him to focus on his daughter but the fact he totally ignored me when he's with his daughter really made me sad. 
Should i tell him about my feeling when this just happened for 2 days? My i really feel uncomfortable with this. Anyone can give me some advices?

Winterglow's picture

As this is still very new for him, and as he hadn't seen his little girl for such a long time, I think I'd let this go. Try and be grateful for the emoticons, at least he's thinking of you  Smile He was probably exhausted at the end of the day and collapsed into bed;

However, if this is still going on in a few months, you might have cause to complain. 

Kes's picture

Even if he is concentrating on his daughter, I don't think it's unreasonable that he devotes a couple of minutes to sending you a text, rather than just an emoticon.  I would have felt the same as you. 

hereiam's picture

I'm confused. Have you actually dated, in person, or has it just been messaging and talking on the phone?

Due to the pandemic, we could not meet in person. i'm not sure whether my feelings are normal or i'm not generous enough. Thanks

hereiam's picture

So, you have not ever met him in person?

I'm sorry, but this is not a relationship. You don't actually know this person. You have no idea who he is or if you love him or he loves you. You don't know each other.

Find someone that you can actually date and get to know, in person.

I know what it's like to want companionship, to want that special someone in your life, but this is not necessarily it. He was lonely and he met you on a dating app and it was nice to have someone to converse with. Now that he has his daughter back in his life, he's not so lonely.

Do you guys even live in the same city?

Appreciate so much for your comments. We are in different countries and we also have to face timezone issue (12 months). Actually, via our conversation, i can feel that he's very kind person and a good dad. Every time his daughter called him, they could spend up to 2-3 hours hanging out together. As this is the first time i dated with a man who has a kid. Over last 6 months i did not recognize this feeling clearly just until now when he has his daughter. 

hereiam's picture

You are not dating this guy. You have no idea who this person is. You cannot get to know someone via conversation, only.