You are here

spoiled entitled behavior

alwayslast1978's picture

I would like some feedback on an incident that happened today.  My SS 9 recieved spending money for xmas. My wife was going to the store so he went with him to find something to buy.  He wanted to buy an eraser at staples.  There is a staples in our town but he saw a bigger staples in the city 20 minutes away and thought they would have this eraser for some reason.  We just took them to the mall yesterday in the city and then drove another hour to see a xmas display and took them to a restaurant.  We both said that driving to Abbotsford again was not going to happen.  He then asked his mom to go into the his room and was raisimg his voive at her.  He isnt brave enough to do this in front of me.  I spoke to my wife and called him out to the kitchen to tell him he was out of line.  My wife seem frustrated and said that she told him "no."  I feel that for a 9 year old to expect to be driven into the city to possibly get an eraser is absoltuely ridiculous. I have spoken to my wifw over and over about this sort of thing and that simplying not giving to him is not good enough.  I think he needs to know that he is being unreasonable and that him even asking was not acceptable amd arguing about is completely out of line.  I would have never asked my mom to do something like this when I was his age.

Rags's picture

Good for you for calling him out. Make sure he is clear that he will not speak to you or your bride in anyway other than with respect and if he does it again that he will rue the day.

If my brother or I had spoken to our dad's wife disrepespectfully it would have been exceptionally unpleasant for us.   That dad's wife is also our mother is beside the point.

alwayslast1978's picture

My wife talked to him when they were out which was good.  He found the eraser in our town so the whole thing was needless.  This is a welcome change from him not being held accountable.

Harry's picture

A 9 yo control your life. Your in big trouble.  You handle it correctly, he didn't have to get it today. He could waited a month or two to get into the next town. Whe you go there normally 

CLove's picture

Unfortunately they dont get any better with time, if allowed to be disrespectful, they get worse.

Stand your ground firmly.

Rags's picture

KISS.

No, means no.  Argue, and no is followed by a consequence.

Lather.... rinse.... repeat.

Adding an escalating state of abject misery until the kid learns.  Eventually the kid will reach the point where the perceived benefit they get from arguing is exceeded by the unpleasant consequence for the kid to continue the arguing and lippy bullshit.

Try it... it works.