You are here

stimulas package

smurfy1smile's picture

How does everyone feel about it? Has anyone checked online to get a estimate of how much they will get? Did you know if you had direct deposit for your tax refund that your stimulas money will come the same way?

I think its great. The kids will get new bikes which they all need since their's were stolen last summer.

Just wanted other peoples opinions.

ColorMeGone2's picture

We're supposed to get $1800... $1200 for us as a married couple, plus $300 apiece for the two kids. It sure would be nice if we could claim the skids or at least not pay taxes on that portion of DH's income, but that'll never happen. I would bet that the stimulus package creates a ton of headaches and heartburn for people who switch off claiming the kids every year, though, because I'd better there are tons of folks out there who won't split it with the other parent.

♥ Georgia ♥

"Good men don't just happen. They have to be created by us women." (from ROSEANNE)

JaxStarryNite's picture

are those of us that switch off claiming Skid(s) supposed to?

smurfy1smile's picture

What you get is based upon your 2007 taxes so if that was not your year to claim them then you won't get anyting for them. You can check online at irs.gov to see approximately how much you will get. Great news though - if you had your tax refund direct deposited then your stimulas money will also be direct deposited. When you get it is based on the last 2 digits of your social security number.

Most Evil's picture

to bring SD here this summer! just for a week or so, but otherwise we couldn't bring her. Flights cost so much even far in advance now - so thanks Dubya!! Smile

"In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer." -Albert Camus

frustratedinMA's picture

Going to pay down some of our credit card.. also, just got a new car.. so I feel that I already contributed to stimulate the economy!

ColorMeGone2's picture

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=177937,00.html#Calculator

Here's a link to the calculator to find out how much you get and also a schedule for when you can expect to receive your payment.

Typically, it's $1200 for a married couple filing a joint return, plus $300 for each child you claimed on your taxes. So for a family of four, it would be $1800.

♥ Georgia ♥

"Good men don't just happen. They have to be created by us women." (from ROSEANNE)

stac's picture

did you do the calculator because thats what i thought to. turns out we are getting 600.00 less then we thought.

porky's picture

me and my wife filed jointly but she didn't work for 2007. will she get a check to. hope so . the IRS website said married filing joing would get 1.200

sparky's picture

Newsday.com
IRS: Some stimulus checks sent to wrong accounts
BY CAROL POLSKY

[email protected]

6:52 PM EDT, May 14, 2008

Through the wonders of modern technology, some of those federal economic stimulus checks are being deposited directly into recipients' bank accounts.

But some are not -- and are instead winding up in the bank accounts of complete strangers.

"We do know of instances of problems; we've heard of situations where stimulus checks have gone to the wrong people's bank accounts," conceded Kevin McKeon, the Internal Revenue Service spokesman for the New York region. "We're getting a lot of calls to the toll-free number."

One local taxpayer, who asked not to be identified, reported that he had discovered an unexpected deposit of $1,800 in his bank account. He said a review of his bank records revealed that it was a deposit from the IRS bearing another taxpayer's Social Security number. He said he contacted the IRS and was told by an IRS agent that the deposit was one of 15,000 misrouted checks sent out incorrectly as a result of a computer programming glitch.

McKeon said he could not confirm that figure or that a computer problem was responsible.

The stimulus checks are for up to $600 for a qualifying single taxpayer, $1,200 for a couple filing jointly, and $300 additional per child. Distribution began in late April, starting with taxpayers who had requested electronic deposits, and are continuing in weekly waves based on the ending digits in Social Security numbers. Paper checks will be sent out in the same way up until July 11.

"Overall, the vast majority of stimulus payments are going out timely and accurately to taxpayers," the IRS said in a statement issued in response to questions from Newsday. "To date more than 29 million stimulus payments totaling more than $27 billion have been issued.

"As taxpayers contact us with questions regarding the amount or the timing of their own stimulus payment, the IRS is providing answers and resolving taxpayer-specific issues."

McKeon directed those awaiting stimulus or 2007 tax refund checks to irs.gov/individuals/article/0,, id=96596,00.html, or the toll-free service Refund Hotline at 800-829-1954.

Those receiving misdirected IRS deposits must report the mistake to their bank, McKeon said. Similarly, paper checks sent to incorrect recipients must be mailed back to the IRS, he said, and any money spent before the recipient is aware of the mistake must be repaid.

Several local accountants say that while they haven't yet come across any clients reporting misdirected stimulus checks, they have on occasion had clients who received mailed refund checks intended for other taxpayers -- and who were told to return them. They also cited other bookkeeping mishaps, including clients with long-overdue refunds.

Bart Fooden, a Woodbury certified public accountant, said a client who filed a late 2006 return last year is still waiting for his electronic refund six months later. The IRS is trying to trace it, he said, adding: "According to them, they issued the refund in January."

Copyright © 2008, Newsday Inc.