You are here

Venting!

Julie30's picture

I'm upset and in the mood to vent before going insane. BF and I live together, have for the past three years. And we have been together 4. This Christmas I went "all out" and bought him lots of gifts, bought his children gifts and even told him that we could put from him and I on the tags - if - he would help me out with the financial aspect... Not all of it, just some. But that wasn't good enough. He said it was crap because my children (my 1st son from an ex and the one him and I have together) get lots of gifts from my family & friends. Meanwhile, his poor, poor kids do not have the family that I have "maybe" because there mom is a DRUNK!

So, he tells me that he has money and he is getting our baby, my son, his children and myself X-mas gifts so that we can celebrate his make-up Christmas on New Year's Eve. Sounds like a great idea... Huh..

So, he asks my mom to babysit today while he goes and gets the gifts, he takes HIS TWO children while my son plays with the neighbor and our baby is watched by my mom. He returns telling me what an awesome deal he got at JCPenney's and goes on to show me all the new clothes he bought for his kids.

Then he tells me how he looked for my gift and it was more then he imagined it would be and that he will use part of his check in a couple of weeks to buy it. GUILT TRIP!

Then he offers to run to the grocery store and buy smores so the kids can roast marshmellows and say's he will buy food. Keep in mind we have food, just not huge course meals that you would get at a restaurant. Yeah, he goes all out when he cooks for his two children. I remind him that he has no money. I knew this before.

But his stupid EX - BI-OTCH tossed the kids with us for the week, meanwhile she gets the child support. For the past 3 months now he has been running here and there for his children and it costs me money because we share bills... His ex always gets her money... And he just thinks he can take the kids everyday and they will just be supported by the two of us.

URGH...

So, anywho he tells me while we roast marshmellows that when the New Year comes he will cash in his 401K and take us all to the mountains.... On $1200.00 for an entire week. Meanwhile he won't get paid while we take a vacation so I will be short again and everyone knows that you can't spend a week in the mountains with three kids and a baby and ourselves with meals, lodging, etc. on just $1200.00 we live in South Florida. Who will pay the gas, the food... Yeah, I will get stuck with the bill, along with getting stuck without his portion of half our bills that week. It is making me sick.

Because he used this "let's go to the mountains" because he has no intention of getting my son a present, or myself or our baby. In his eyes we are spoiled! He kids needs more.... And I am sooo sick I want to toss his ass out of the house. Which is my house.

I spent around $200.00 on his kids, around $250 on him and I bought all of the gifts for my son and our baby. He has never bought our baby anything! Except for a pack of onsies... Whooppeee...

I am a single mom who has always taken care of my son. Without any support from his deadbeat dad. This is my oldest son who is almost 12. I did it without child support. But he pays his ex around $1000.00 a month. Meanwhile we have the kids most of the time.

And yes, I am pissed that he couldn't even "MAKE" me a Christmas card. Is that sooo much to ask? Really is it... I am about to cry...

Then my DEADBEAT ex comes to the rescue and shows up X-mas Eve giving my son a Christmas card, enclosed it is a receipt with the X-Box 360 he bought him. It's due to come in any day and it also said that he wants to make his relationship better with our son. He seems to be really trying and has paid his support for three months in a row. Is it wrong to wish that he will also put a woman through the same shit as I am being put through as a sort of step-mom, that he will put our son on the pedestal and push any other future kids aside.. I know that's wrong to feel that way but I am just soooo hurt.

He walked by a minute ago and I said "Everything was ok, since He and His Ex took very good care of THERE children, My ex and self took very good care of MY son and well "I took care of my son/our baby all on my OWN... He comes back and tosses the Seiko watch I bought him in my lap and told me to take it back and shove it up my ass for all he cares because he don't want to wear it...

So now I sit here typing this message. I went to my purse and got my opal pendent for my necklace "our 1st Christmas together and my only Christmas present ever" and my opal earings "birthday present our 1st year together - and last present. And the cheap ass cz ring his mother sent him to give me, she was supposed to send a real diamond so he was going to give me that crap during our first year together. I am debating on walking into that living room and tossing it in his hand, telling him to shove it up his ass and he can either stand up to his EX and get support or get his ass out of my house and pay me a court order every month. This is making me soooo sick... Time to have a xanax... LOL Any advise?

OldTimer's picture

I hate to say it, but the advice I have is maybe you should not bother with the gifts, lol. Maybe you should just make it a family thing, instead, you all sit down as a family and make something- together? He might understand it better that way. I think instead of getting mad at each other, and tossing jabs at each other, you may want to sit back for a momment, let him unwind and not retaliate.

My DH and I had some pretty heated arguements in the beginning of our relationship. He would get pretty darn selfish at times, and he also was still pretty wrapped up in his shell from his divorce, shellshock so to say, so he was extremely protective and defensive at times, so he could really put out those mouthy jabs at me whenever he felt pressed about something. Make me sooo mad, push my buttons, he was good... but most of all really hurt me because that way, he won't get hurt- first. If that makes sense? So rather than working things out 'rationally', we hashed it out at each other with those nasty words, jabs, you name it... just to 'get even' at each other. Both of us were still pretty sore from our last relationship.

Well, during one of those moments, he said something to me that really really hurt me, I don't even rememeber what it was, but it really went below the belt. Oh it was on! I thought. So, I took my promise ring that he gave me, the only thing that he gave me that meant so much to me, and threw it at him. Fine. I'm gone! Out the door I went. Stayed at my parents, was planning to move on. Three weeks later, he came calling. We said our sorries, etc etc. But he never gave me back the ring, at least not right away, because that really upset him, me throwing it at him. It was like throwing his respect away.

See, what I didn't know was that in order for him to even be able to afford this ring for me in the first place, was because he cashed out part of one of my SS's 'college' fund accounts just so he could purchase this ring, because he loved me that much and didn't have any other way to tell/show me. His x had taken so much from him, so this was his way of showing me he loved me. He couldn't afford me a diamond, so he got me a big ass saphire... which is his birthstone. The gest of it is that he gave me his heart, and I wear his heart in mine. (It has two small diamonds, which is my birthstone, on each side of it.)

I do have it today, wear it on my right hand and it actually means more to me than my wedding set... believe it or not.

I think if it were me in this situation, I'd back off giving so many gifts, keep it very simple, kiss him on the check for his gifts, and let him know how much he means to you. To me, it sounds kinda like you built up some expectations and things didn't happen the way you invisioned.

I guess the other thing you could do is give the watch to your ex...

Anne 8102's picture

In our family, it's his kids that get the most, because their mother makes more money than my husband does, plus she's collecting thousands in CS each month from two dads. One of my skids actually gets from her mother and two dads, not to mention three sets of grandparents, so she really rakes it in. The standard of living that they enjoy is so far above what we have, well, there's just no argument between us as to what is fair or unfair.

What we do is decide up front how much money we, as a couple, are going to spend on all of OUR kids combined, then we decide how to break that down between skids and kids. Then we stick to that as closely as possible, which isn't too hard because I end up doing almost all of the shopping. ;°) Let's say we come up with a Christmas budget of, say, $1000 total to spend on all kids combined. Well, we divvy that up between the five kids in such a way that they all get great gifts, but we do spend more on our two, being that they are only getting from us. He's on board with that 100%. I've also discovered the joys of shopping online and at outlets, and with some creativity, you can get the kids equal gifts without spending equal money.

Whether or not my husband and I get anything for each other is usually a matter of whether or not we can afford it. Usually, we just get each other small things for the kids to give us and to give each other. We hardly ever spend more than $50 total on each other at Christmas. For example, my most favorite passtime is taking a good book into the bathroom and spending an hour or so in a long, hot bubble bath totally undisturbed by husband or kids. So hubby will get me a couple of books that I've been wanting to read and the kids will go crazy at the dollar store picking out all sorts of bubble bath, bath salts, special soaps, etc. AND I LOVE IT!

Being that I don't work, whatever money I spend on him is his, anyway, which made me feel really guilty at first. But then one year he took me aside and told me that I earned every cent of the money I spent on him, and then some, because I have the tough job of taking care of him and the kids, plus all the crap I go through with his kids and their mom, which I don't get paid a cent for. That made me see that it isn't the gift you give on Christmas Day that matters, it's everything you do for each other every day of the year. So for us, presents to each other has never been all that important. We usually splurge a little on ourselves with our income tax refund to make up for it, though, and just delight in watching the kids at Christmas.

I know it is hard for my husband to feel like he can't give me and our kids as much as he gives his other kids via CS. Before he retired from the military, the amount he paid in CS for two kids was more than our entire family of four had to live on in a month. He went through years of feeling guilty and like a failure, mistakenly thinking that he wasn't providing adequately for us. That sometimes came out as anger towards us. Maybe your guy just feels guilty and ashamed that he can't be all things to all people or that he can't provide as well as YOU can.

Giving should be a gift in itself... you get the joy of selecting the gifts, giving the gifts and knowing that the gifts will be appreciated. Gift-giving should be about GIVING gifts, not about EXCHANGING gifts. See the difference? If you give just to get something back, well, it's not really giving, it's more like blackmail. (If you don't get me a nice gift for Christmas, then I'm not getting you a nice gift for your birthday. I gave you a fabulous anniversary present, so you'd better make Valentine's Day worth my while.) What fun is that?

On the other hand, if you feel like you are doing all the giving and being taken advantage of, well, that's another problem entirely and I don't think the problem is a financial one.

If you guys don't combine your money and then draw from one pot, so to speak, then your situation is a little different than ours. Cutting back on your giving so that you can match what he's able to do might be one way to go. Or maybe help him with setting up a Christmas Fund that he can deposit a little into each payday. ING has a fabulous savings account that yields high interest with no fees and no minimum deposit, it's all online and you can make deposits and withdrawals electronically. It yields a higher interest rate than regular bank Christmas Club accounts. And in the future, I would break it down this way:

(1) I'd decide how much the two of you are going to spend together on your child together and then both of you contribute equal amounts to giving to the child you share.

(2) He can spend what he wants on his kids, but it would be understood that the gifts are from you both.

(3) You can spend what you want on your son, but it would be understood that the gifts are from you both.

(4) Give your ex the watch! ;°)

~ Anne ~

Julie30's picture

I think I am just going to take the watch back and keep the money. Last night I ended up giving him my earings, pendent & engagement ring. He was upset, I imagine when I placed it in his open hand and told him that during our entire four years together this is all that I was ever given - not even a handful after all of the holiday's, the birth of our son, etc. - he threw them on the floor and I went to bed. Then I went to retreive them and they had been picked up, guessing he put them in his pocket. I told him I wanted them back so our son could have them later and see that daddy at least got mommy something during there life together but he said he would give it back later when he felt like it.

He was being an a$$ all day - and the more he ignores me the more angry I get. I called the house today while I was at work and he didn't want to talk. I told my son to put him on the phone and his 10 year old daughter laughed and said let me have the phone, I will say bye and hang up on her. Well, that was the straw that broke the camels back. I called and called and he refused to pick up so I drove home during my lunch hour, stormed in the house and told him that we needed to talk in private... He said no... And I said of course not and your little bitch daughter is quit the instigator... His daughter looked at me and didn't say a word... I was just SO angry... I still am.

He ended up walking across the street to get my mom and tell her that I wouldn't stop yelling at him in front of the kids and to get me to stop... Then I explained my side to my mother and she could sort of understand why I was angry. So, I went back to work and didn't say a word to him.

He did call me later and said we were fighting over stupid stuff. But he just doesn't get it.

Then tonight my EX aka Deadbeat calls and he can't catch a ride down but wanted me to come up with our son so he could give him the X-box 360. So I did and I waited in the car for around 1/2 hour while the two of them hung out inside the house. I had my baby with me so him and I played in the car... LOL Then my son comes out and his dad hooked him up with the X-box 360, also gave him a Bluetooth wireless ear thing, gave him Fireworks for New Years and a poster signed by the Tampa Bay Buckoneers (spelling??) cheerleaders. So I was impressed. Then I come home and BF is out with his kids. I think they went out to a nice dinner and somewhere else fun.

I looked under our Christmas tree and found two presents. I assumed they were for the baby but of course not. BF's ex bought two gifts for him from the kids. That kind of pisses me off.

It's like this whole holiday shit is "THERE THING" my baby, son and my self excluded.

So, tomorrow I am taking back all of the kids gifts! Screw them.. And I am taking back BF's gifts... I just feel really bitter now. It wasn't a point of him matching my gifts but HE DIDN'T EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE IT.... No Merry Christmas, No Happy Holiddays - No Card..... Nothing... Sure he had Christmas with my family and all was good but I am really wondering if this is what I want. I feel like a third wheel.

There is his FAMILY.... His daughter, son and EX..

Then there is me, my son, our baby and my parents and family....

That's about it... I am just really down in the dumps... I really do wish that he would just GO BACK TO THE EX and pay me the child support and let me dump my problems on him whenever I feel like having fun... It has worked great for his EX...

Julie (31)
Bio-Children - Son under 1 with BF, Son age 11 from previous relationship.

BF - Son under 1 our's together, Daughter age 20 from prior marriage, son age 14 & daughter age 10 from previous relationship.

OldTimer's picture

It's too bad that you guys couldn't have resolved this issue alittle better. I don't know what to tell you, honestly. I don't think that screaming and cursing at each other is ever an answer- I've learned that the hard way. And I'll be alittle frank here, but I think your approach to the situation didn't really help either. I'd be alittle sore myself if someone came right at me, demanding to talk too, ouch. I also think that taking things out on the kids is wrong, because that doesn't make you any better of a person to 'justify' what you feel has been wrong to you, if you catch my drift. But I certainly hope that getting it all out of your system here might be better for you.

I hope things work out. Perhaps try to approach it in another manner which would allow both of you to remain calm? For one thing, if each of you are accusing the other right off the bat, then of course someone, if not both of you, are going to get defensive and not listen to what the other has to say. Try not to be confrontational about your feelings. That might help in the long run.

Anyway, I wish you well. I really wish I had something positive to tell you, but I'm really kind of sad for you that it turns out this way. I hope it works out.

Anne 8102's picture

It just sucks, doesn't it? It's totally unfair. He's not seeing things from your perspective and, right now, you're too angry to see it from his. It's hard to negotiate that way and since marriage is just one huge negotiation, anyway, that makes it tough. Why not put a halt to everything for a couple of days and let the tensions ease before you say or do anything else. In fact, maybe just let him make the first move and see what happens. Dump it here on us so that you don't carry it with you and try to take a breather for a day or two. Maybe you could write him a letter, one that gets everything you want to say out of your system, but edit it for tone and attitude so that it doesn't come off as being hostile, just heartfelt. Then ask him not to read it until he can do so calmly and with an open mind. Sometimes it's hard when one of us is ready and willing to hash it out and the other person isn't. You need to get it out of your system and he needs to acknowledge your feelings, but you may not both be willing to have it out at the same time... writing a letter accomplishes both while letting you both participate in the resolution at your own pace. I know it's not about gifts, it's about effort. But I would have a hard time making any effort for him or the steps in the future if he can't make some effort for you and your kids.

~ Anne ~

happy's picture

You are so angry right now that things you want to do now may really be bad when you calm down.
* I agree that your current situation is one that would be very hurtful to me. Again though right now you are very angry and once you calm down you and him may be able to talk this all out.
I cannot believe his daughter was going to hang up on you. How very sad that she feels that she must get in the way. But one thing I can say honestly to you I hope without you getting angry or offended, calling her a *bitch* was probably one of the worst things you could have done.. I only know this by experience on watching another girl go thru this.. She will NEVER forget or forgive you for calling/saying that to her. I know you were very angry at the time and probably don't really mean it but its one of those things. I am not saying that what she was trying to do is right by any means her father should have been adult enough to come to the phone and speak to you.. I know that he was hurt by you giving him his ring and the other things back but he also needs to realise that a relationship is GIVE and take, not TAKE AND TAKE MORE. There I am on your side.
Well I hope things get better for you..
Hugs, Happy

beckneedshelp's picture

i went all out to get my x a nice gift for xmas and he spent xmas eve with his twin daughters shopping for their presents and when i gave him mine on xmas morning he says i only have my heart and love to give you. sorry i dint get you a gift. i was torn apart because i know he gave their mum a a gift and one for her birthday the week before and i got nothing not even a card.
belive me honey i too wish i hdnt bought him anything and felt like taking the gift back but i showed him i am better than him and just brushed it off and pretended it dint matter and i wasnt hurt.guess who will not be getting anything next year if he is still around???
as much as you are angry rigth now as i was too you need to just relax and take the gifts back and use the money for things you need or buy yourself a nice gift to make yourself feel better.