You are here

Who's problem is it ? Constructive only please...

Sandybeaches's picture

So as not to delve way back in time into my back story I will just try to state the issue at hand ..

DH is visibly annoyed at me literally all the time.

My son has moved back into the area.  He has been out of state for many years.  So first let me say my son has never had any issues we have had to deal with and life regarding him has been smooth.  He is having an issue now and needs my attention.  DH seems ridiculously jealous of him and my time being spent with him.  

Now, DH's  life, kids and toxic ex have been nothing but problems for us or entire time together and I have had to deal with it.  I also might add that my son's issue is of no fault of his own while most of the issues DH's kids have had are their own making.  I have also dealt with the crazy toxic ex and still have to on occasion.  I would think DH would be more understanding.   He is not at all and seems jealous.  Keeps picking fights with me about other dumb things and then tells me I only worry about myself and my son. 

My question is who's issue is this? Mine or his?  My son while he is an adult needs me now,  it will not be forever and of course I am going to do it anyway but I wondered what your thoughts were on this?  Do you think DH is being jealous and immature as I do? Thoughts?

hereiam's picture

Your husband sounds selfish. It was fine for his kids and ex to intrude on your life (and they still are), but now that your son needs your help and is taking some attention away from your H, he is having a little fit.

positivelyfourthstreet's picture

The Epic Battle For World Dominance!

My kid wasn't difficult either but my husband had some kind of weird issue with him, felt threatened by him or whatever for no reason other than another testosterone producing individual in his space.

His issue.

Also, he can't stand to see you give him attention.

Mine too.

Again, his issue.

Sparkl3s's picture

My opinion as a bystander and biased as a SM says it’s both of you, but mostly him (95% him).

Him: For being a passive aggressive instead of bringing the issue up to you to give you a chance to make accommodations.

You: Your part in the whole fault is for not calling it out and nipping it in the butt as soon as you noticed it.

The petty side of me would put up all the grievances on a piece of paper and tell him to suck it up because you have been on his side through XYZ and the least he could do you is extend you a little grace for a temporary situation.

At this point it would be most important to find a way to communicate your side without your SO shutting down. Maybe counseling to teach him how to communicate but bundle it as a “our” issue instead of a “him” issue.

simifan's picture

Have you talked with DH about what is bothering him? I know for myself a lot of times I can pick up on his mood 100%, but completely misread DH's thought process.

SeeYouNever's picture

You haven't said what your son needs from you. Is it just your time and attention? If so then your husband is probably not used to not being the center of your attention and is indeed jealous. Remind him of all you've put up with for his and tell him to grow up.

Does your son need to live with your temporarily? If so then he is probably feeling territorial.

Does your son need money? Well that speaks for itself, you husband feels entitled to your money. 

We need some more details to know what's going on here. However since you've put up with his kids issues and he's having an issue with taking care of your son I think you need to remind him of this, frankly he owes you and he needs to grow up. You've paid into the bank and he's not letting you make a withdrawal.

My husband can be similar though I don't have any kids that aren't also his. He expects an appreciates me supporting him and he does constantly show his appreciation for it. However whenever I'm the one who needs support it's almost like it doesn't compute for him. I'm the one who provides the support and he's the one who gets it it doesn't often go the other direction. 

justmakingthebest's picture

I agree. There aren't enough details to really give feedback. 

While part of me says yes- he is being an ass. You are expected to deal with all of his baggage but he can't support you with yours- that isn't right. But without knowing what it is your son needs it is hard to say if maybe he is a little justified or not. 

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Good questions, SYN.

However, if Sandy's son needs money and Sandy can give/loan it to him without impacting their household, her H should go suck rocks. 

LittleCloud9's picture

You know how some men turn into babies when they get a cold? Some men also turn into babies when they have to share their partner's attention or tolerate being uncomfortable emotionally for a little bit.

while it's too vague for me to say a lot, I would like to ask: when you are putting up with the crazy toxic baggage of his life, how would you have LIKED him to treat you? 
Maybe he does owe you, maybe he should have been better, maybe he isn't being fair... regardless if the situation was the other way around what would you want from him? I am not saying don't help your son. But maybe you can make some time to show your hubby some attention and love. Reassure him and talk to him. Be the bigger person and treat him the way you would want to be treated, not how he may deserve. Your marriage will be happier for it and you can feel good about taking the high road.
that's just my two cents 

hugs

Aniki-Moderator's picture

LittleCloud9, the first two sentences are sooooo true! In the beginning, my DH wanted a good chunk of my attention. I think it was due in part to insecurities because 'Ho was a major cheater. When he finally realized that I wasn't anything like 'Ho (and definitely not a cheater) and wasn't going anywhere, he chilled out and no longer has anxiety about me doing things without him. 

Sandybeaches's picture

Totally fair to ask ... and it may help with opinions.. 

"while it's too vague for me to say a lot, I would like to ask: when you are putting up with the crazy toxic baggage of his life, how would you have LIKED him to treat you? 
Maybe he does owe you, maybe he should have been better, maybe he isn't being fair... regardless if the situation was the other way around what would you want from him? I am not saying don't help your son. But maybe you can make some time to show your hubby some attention and love. Reassure him and talk to him. Be the bigger person and treat him the way you would want to be treated, not how he may deserve. Your marriage will be happier for it and you can feel good about taking the high road.
that's just my two cents 

So when my husbands crazy toxic ex has caused issues, I wanted my husband to handle it.  I felt he rewarded her behavior by allowing her a place in our lives.  He let it go on way to long and after her crazy outbursts, vulgar language, and messages and threats she would call and be nice and he would act like nothing ever happened as to not set her off.  It was me not him that put a stop to it when the kids became adults and we didn't have to deal with her.  She threatened to come and "take care of  me" so many times I should have had a restraining order.  I had my paperwork messages and proof and was on my way more than once but for the kids and for my own safety I didn't.  I kick myself as she still does it from time to time.

So if the tables were turned and my ex-husband threatened my DH? I can say that I would be contacting my ex and taking care of that.  He would have a restraining order against him and there would be no place in my life for him to even speak to him again.  I would completely own the situation that my DH had to put up with because of my ex.  My DH did not handle it that way.  Also my son is an adult and I would not sugar coat why his dad was not allowed near us and why there was a restraining order.  My DH does not let the kids hear their mother mesages or tell them details about her behaviior so they beleive their mother and hate me.  He just thinks I should deal with all of that.  No thank you's for not putting her in jail where everyone else thinks she should be.  He was not against me going to the police but it should have been his idea and he should have gone with me.  

I have tried to go an extra mile and spend time my DH and make him feel extra special.  It has had no effect.  While I appreciate that and it is great idea he made me try harder and harder when I tried and basically turned his head and ignored me.

FinallySkidFree's picture

Need more details about what kind of help your son is needing. Not that it entitles your DH to throw passive-aggressive jabs, but it would give a bit more context so we can try and see what is going thru his thick skull.

Carriem's picture

You both came as a packaged deal. Your DH can't expect you to be a parent to his kids and not parent your own. 

Rags's picture

With the shared information, the issue is obviously your DH's.  Time to point out the facts to him regarding the issues iwth his X and spawn Vs the lack of historical issues with your DS.  I would even give him a spreadsheet of estimated hours invested in issues caused by his past and tick any ongoing hours off of that balance sheet as you help your son.

It will infuriate your DH but it will give him clarity that he can STFU and be supportive or he will hear about every sordid historical detail his past has infested your marriage with until he gains clarity and becomes supportive.

Good luck.

Sandybeaches's picture

Sorry to post and run... my neighbors dad died and I was helping out ....  

So to answer the questions... no my son does not need money or to live with us.  He is going through a difficult time and he is in need of some conversations and a night here and there over for dinner etc ... he has lived out of state for many years and has not been part of our day to day life.  Never causes us any issues nor has my ex I want to point out . 

I have 20 + years in of understanding the problems with my Sk's and toxic BM.  I just would think I had some understanding in the bank...  And my son doesn't want anything from us just some time to hang out.  He doesn't have much in our area yet as he has lived out of state for so long.  It's awful!  DH is not talking hardly at all to me today.  It is really changing how I feel about him.  So awful and unfair of him.  

Winterglow's picture

Your husband is a disgrace and should be ashamed of himself. He is only thinking about himself and somehow thinks that your every waking moment should be for him and his offspring. Your son is asking for no more than the average son/daughter would ask for  - a little time with, and a little attention from, their parent occasionally. Your husband is a self-centred, inconsiderate ass who needs to grow up and get a grip.

still learning's picture

Your DH is being a big jealous baby.  You've been there for him and his family for decades and now someone from your family needs you. 

DH is not talking hardly at all to me today. 

Good, let him be silent and go sulk in his corner! I have a very low tolerance for grown men's baby sh*t.  

bananaseedo's picture

It's borderline abusive I'd say for him to want to separate you from your own son/family- especially if it's just time with you.  I would suggest immediately counseling or would strongly consider leaving someone this selfish and malicious.

nappisan's picture

certainly his issue.  My dh was like this too.  My son was never an issue and smooth sailed through teenage years etc , while DH's son caused so many problems and dealing with the toxic ex year after year!   I put it down to the fact he was always pissed off because he knew his son was a problem and jelous that i breezed through with my boy , now 19 and doing very well. his son is still the devil.  Just go about your day doing what you need to do and brush him off with "you just worry about your kids"

Disengageme's picture

I think he's a little jealous. He's used to having you all to himself and dealing with his kids and his side of things. Now because you're helping your son it's taking some of your time and attention away. My dh acts this way at times. My kids are older than ss11 and my oldest daughter really needs help now. She seen her boyfriend get murdered right in front of her A few months ago. This has had a terrible effect on her and it's led to a lot of problems. Dh is mostly understanding and doesn't mind me helping her but there's been times I could tell he was jealous. I deal with his nasty entitled child almost every weekend and needless to say it has made me resentful. He's being helpful now but I can't forget when he wasn't. Like you said you're gonna help your son anyways. He'll get over it and if he doesn't then too bad. You've dealt with his side. Tell him now it's his turn because you stood by him. I hope everything works out good for your son. 

Sandybeaches's picture

I appreciate all of the responses!!

I am thankful that I am not alone in this.  I must say of all the things that have happened between us, this situation really changes my feelings toward DH.  I as an unconditional person, has a really hard time with his behavior.  

grannyd's picture

Hey Sandybeaches,

Your husband's unjust behaviour becomes even more egregious, taking place while you’re involved with your son’s issues and need a clear head to cope with it all. Instead of providing comfort and support, your husband is adding stress to an already taxing situation. Your son, poor fellow, is probably sensing the discord surrounding his visits and feeling like an intruder.

In your shoes, Hon, I’d be burning with resentment! Quite frankly, having read your previous posts, I'm baffled as to why you put up with such a selfish, abusive (and yes, 'the silent treatment' is abuse) man and his horrible baggage. You're a good person and deserve better!

Sandybeaches's picture

I have been gone a bit....  trying to deal with all that is going on.... 

Thank you grannyd for the support.  That is exactly how I feel.  I am so overwhelmed by all that is going on and instead of my husband being there for me, instead I had to worry that he was somewhere mad because I spent too much time away doing something else.  I had to stop letting it bother me.  With my son, he knows better than to say anything.  But what he'll do is get mad over some other dumb thing, because he's mad but knows he can't say he's mad over my son.  

It's not to say he doesn't have many good points he does but this has really become a thing.  He has retired maybe he is finding it hard to adjust I don't know but I could be doing so many worse things that helping my son, his kids and family and friends.  It really all is occasionally most of the time.