You are here

Court has Ruled***Results are in...

wickedstepmonster's picture
Forums: 

I had previously posted that I was in the process of adopting my 9 yo ss. (I may have claimed a different age, b/c I was worried about posting before the judge ruled (paranoid, I guess.)

Anyhow, a little background....

*C* was 5 yo when I met him. Swore like a sailor. BM would call BF (now DH) and, get this, demand money (5-10 bucks) screaming "If you don't get here in 15 minutes with it, I will call the cops and tell them you hit me, so you'd better..." cute. Sometimes she would have *C* get on phone, age 5 mind you, "Dad, Mom needs money for gas. We can't go to McDonald's unless you come with money."

This woman was 32 at the time. Not working. Been fired from every job she's had for stealing. Turn's out she has a drug problem (No surprise)

Anyhow, BF was living seperately from her then, and *C* would only go with her when he had to work nights. I naturally volunteered to watch him at night after a few months of this nonsense. You know that never bothered her? She would still demand money from BF, even though she NEVER had son.

Well, eventually she was evicted from her apartment, I moved in with BF, and we did not hear a word from her. Fine.

Three years go by, and I decide to adopt SS, lest there ever be a problem with DH down the road (accident, divorce-hey, just being realistic) I wanted to ensure that this previously troubled child had consistency (sp).

Naturally, BM's friend sees the publishment in the paper, and she shows up not only to contest, but to file for visitation and CUSTODY. HA. It would have been funny, except in the past 18 months, DH and I have spent over 10G fighting her, and she did not have to pay a dime (come to find out they actually appoint attorneys for this in our liberal state.)

Trial was Dec 1. DH, I and BM testified. She testified about how she had been addicted to opiates for the past 15 years, but had been sober for the past one year. She had moved about 20 times, and no, she did not try to contact DH becasue she was AFRAID of him. (Who would leave their child with someone they are afraid of?) Poor excuse for partying.

Anyhow, before I am accused of being some sort of bitch, let me say that we had numerous court dates. This woman would sit outside smoking butts, waiting for us to arrive. She would loudly harrass me, making fun of my clothes, hair, whatever. Dear god, it was like being in eighth grade. I would have been grateful to the woman who was taking care of my child when I could not do so myself, but hey, I guess it takes all kinds. I am a mother, too, and if she had even been polite to me, I would have tried to work something out, but I will not be subjected to that BS.

So For months I worried about having to drive *C* to some "supervised visiting center" which he did not want to do, and dealing with this wing nut calling my house, harrassing me, but guess what?

She was denied custody. She was denied even supervised visitation. Her parental rights were terminated. Here's why:

***Transient lifestyle (failure to maintain a stable home)
***Ongoing substance abuse (even though she was sober for one year, the court accepts that it is unlikely that she will remain so, citing her previous failures)
***Willful abandonment (She did not provide any address, did not pay c/s, etc.)

Little Jo's picture

Sounds like you went through the ringer!!

As sad as it is, that a BM can behave so badly, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best wishes.

Candice's picture

For me, this is great news! I'm sad that bm couldn't pull herself together to begin with to take care of her own child, and I am sad for your adoptive son that he was abandoned by a parent, but I will say children are resilient, and when one parent can't raise their child, adoption is a beautiful option. Now that she will be out of the picture, you and dh can raise all of your children w/o bm's influence, and that will really help this little boy, and your marriage. Speaking from experience, it's really hard on a marriage when there is a nutty bioparent in the background using a child, and causing problems.

It's a shocker to me that the courts didn't somehow grant her custody again! I'm a little bitter of how the legal system always seems to favor bm's, even when they are unstable. I'm so happy that the judge ruled in your favor.

As far as the money, I know it's frustrating dropping some coin like that (we have too, only to be told...."bm is a bad mom, just not bad enough, so you won't get custody.."). It takes time to get over having to spend money like that when people are just plain idiots. One day, that little boy will do/say something so cute or funny, and you will be so glad you spent the money. It's a lot of money, and most of us don't have that type of coin just laying around, so it's frustrating.

Congratulations! Best wishes for you and your family,
Candice

wickedstepmonster's picture

Thank you Little Jo, I am so relieved.

Candice, thank you, I hoped that posting my story would help by encouraging others who may be in a similar situation.

*ALSO****not patting myself on the back or anything, but MANY times over the past few years people told DH that he should take BM to court for cs. Most claiming that "Even if you can't find her, the Department of Revenue can." I was opposed to this all along, because---for the measly 50 bucks a month we would have received, we would have been forced to deal with her (nutty phone calls, abusive behaviors, threats, etc.) I was glad she was gone. SS was not missing her at all, in fact he would have nightmares if anyone mentioned her name. I honestly believe she never thought anything like this would happen. I feel she dissappeared mainly because she did not want to pay cs, which ultimately aided the abandonement issue. Moral of the story---make sure the cs you go after is really worth the bother, I guess.

HTH

Candice's picture

sometimes the cs isn't worth the headache it can bring. When my ss said he wanted to come live with us, my dh asked me..."what do you think I should ask for in cs?" and keep in mind, bm got pg with ss b/c she thought cs was going to be HER meal ticket, and she is not a responsible, caring parent, and has always used my ss for money against my dh. So, at first I thought making her pay for cs was going to prevent ss being able to live with us, but in the same token, I wanted to hold her accountable for her financial responsibility of her son. I said to dh.."Well, I think she should pay cs, but whatever you two decide is appropriate for cs, is going to be fine with me."

Sometimes, cs just isn't worth it. Just pay for the kids, treat
them with love, and respect, and the money issue will go away.

I'm glad ss isn't missing her, and probably looks at you as his mother. I really hope he doesn't have long term affects from her abuse. Wishing you guys all the best!

Candice

Little Jo's picture

When the CS was first ordered when she was just a baby, it was based on his $26,000 rookie salary. In all the 16 years, I never took him back to get it increased. He threw a fit and a half one one year when they did an automatic cost of living increase of 10 bucks! He actually lied to his Mother and told her I took him back to court for the increase.

There is always drama when it comes to money

OldTimer's picture

You're giving me hope! My SD's BM sounds just like yours... I can only hope that our case turns out like yours. I'm glad to hear that there is hope out there and there are judges that are recognizing the better home situation than just the mother's rights.

Congrats! It's a boy!

Wink StepMom

Man has the intelligence to change his life,
Sometimes, he just fails to use it...

tiff's picture

It gives me a little hope for my situation- One day I want to do the same thing with my SD's they denied us that the last time in court and let BM have supervised visits- hopefully her true self will show through again and my family can have the happy ending you have- Congradulations!!!!