You are here

I'm the stepdad. BF wants to recalculate support using my income. Help!

gk2010's picture
Forums: 

My skid's dad has only been paying half the agreed amount for 20 months now, based on a reduction in his "extra" income (side contractor job that ended without being renewed). He always said he would get back on track. The amount was already lower than the standard calc for WA state because my wife was trying to make things easier for him.

Now, he has a new wife and kid and dog (all within the last 20 months) and is saying all he can afford for the 2 kids is $675 a month. The agreed amount was/is $1100 a month. He wants to do the state worksheet and is asking for both our income info. My wife is on 1099 status (real estate industry) so her income is literally dwindled to a few hundred a year but I make very decent money, more than him. He makes $80K a year. Anyone have experience with this? My wife is really regretting not having gone through the state.

We've been told to request a mediator and he and my wife go together and provide income info and let the mediator do the worksheet and then they come to an agreement. He's going to bring up my income. What would the mediator say? Would my wife need to answer that right then and there?

Thanks for any insight!

GoodbyeNormaJean's picture

Wouldn't they all? When DH and I got together, BMs got all a twitter thinking it equalled $$$ in their pockets. They got a real rude awakening. They saw a nice house, nice vehicles, and knew I was self employed, so I guess they figured they'd be benefitting from that in some way.

Well, they aren't, and the funny thing is DH doesn't make anything. I didn't want him for his money. I have my own. It really pisses them off that I won't contribute anything and the judge won't count my income as shared income. DH doesn't work for me, and the judge has told 2 of the three BMs that my income is none of their concern. I contribute what I want to contribute, but only as far as when the kids are here. Their moms can deal with them when they have them.

pastepmomof3's picture

Furie - what my DH was told was that if he had worked and earned higher before and than CHOSE to take something lower, the court would consider his "earning potential" when determining the amount and it mostly likely would not be reduced.

caregiver1127's picture

GK2010 - the courts do not take into consideration your income - it is based on the two parents - they are the ones that made the child and they are the ones that need to take the responsibility of the child - do not give out any of your income information.

gk2010's picture

Thanks for the replies. My biggest concern was when I looked at the worksheet and there are spaces for filling in new spouse income (on each parents' side) but it doesn't actually calculate...just asks for it. Along with the household debt, assets, etc.

BF holds the kids, and my wife, emotionally hostage. Whenever my wife brings up the support issue with him, he ignores her but will complain to the kids. He's a jackass in so many ways.

Thanks again everyone!

caregiver1127's picture

Do not give him your information - none of his business - just because there is a line there that does not mean you have to fill it out!!