You are here

Adult stepson another update

reedle2021's picture

Hello all,

Recap:  Adult SS 21 living at home, unemployed, no plans, no motivation.  Dad is the same way, unemployed, enabling his son. Situation is awful and I am currently in the process of leaving.  My husband does not know yet as I am trying to find employment elsewhere (hours away).  I work in a profession that requires background infromation, etc., so even when I get a job, it may be a month or more before I can start.  In any case, something happened a few nights ago that just blew my mind and I have to vent/talk about it on here. 

So I get home from work a few nights ago and my husband is in the kitchen, preparing dinner and is visibly irritated.  I have learned not to ask him what's wrong because he is generally hateful to me when I try to be kind to him (I have no clue why, he's always been this way).  I offer to help cut veggies, etc.  He then says, "well I'd have supper done by now if (his son) was here to help."  My husband was p*ssed that his son went out to drive to the park and had been gone for 3 hours.  I thought to myself how weird that is that he is mad at his adult son for going out of the house and how it is a clear reflection of the dysfunction and codependency in their relationship.  Then my husband said how his son should text him if he is going to eat supper with us or not so he knows how much food to cook, etc, which isn't unreasonable I suppose but in the end, his son is an adult.  If he doesn't get here for supper, he can feed himself.  I don't care either way because soon I'll be gone. 

SS comes home right as we are sitting down to eat.  My husband starts taking verbal jabs at him, saying "well that must be nice to go to the park and f*ck off all afternoon for 3 hours when I'm here doing housework.  You're an adult and should be helping out around here.  I don't like being home all day cleaning the house, cleaning up after you, doing your laundry while you're doing nothing with your life.  You don't help with anything, you don't even help yourself." My SS has no backbone when it comes to his Daddy, so he's like, "Well I'm sorry.  I didn't think about it.  I do try to help you."  And SS was being kind of a smart ass and not owning any of his irresponsible behavior.  Then my husband just loses it.  He starts yelling at his son, tells him how he is lazy and that he is a piece of sh*t (I'm sitting there quietly, thinking, well where would he have learned that behavior??).  Tells him he's sick of cleaning up after him and that he should be more responsible for himself.  Tells him he wishes he could go out and enjoy the nice weather but he has responsiblities around the house and that his wife (me) has to work all day too.  My SS is like, well I do pick up after myself... Husband cuts him off and says no you don't.  Husband says, "I clean your room, your bathroom and I wash your sheets which are still just crumpled up on your bed, you haven't even made your bed (he washed his sheets 3 days earlier).  Then you go out all day and screw off, then show up to eat whenevery you feel like it and sometimes you end up wasting our food because you had fast food before you came home."  He says "I don't care if you don't eat here but you should let me know if you are or aren't going to be here for supper."  Then he tells his son how he is lazy and he's been screwing off "for years," how is he is an embarrassment spending his wife's money and not doing anything with his life.  SS says "well I could get a full time job and get my own apartment.  I could live on my own."  I thought "ding! ding! ding!  We have a winner!"  And my husband hatefully says, "no you couldn't."  My SS insisted he could.  I kept my mouth shut but what I wanted to say was, "Well I think at this point you need to moveout.  You're not happy here and you are an adult, it's time you get out on your own.  We'll give you til 9/30/22 to get moved out.  If you're not out by that day, we'll pack you up and move you back in with your mother."  But I said nothing.  Then SS says how nice his mother is to him and how she never stresses or anything. And that just further infuriated my husband, who then said "well your mother has never worked (which is true) and has no responsibilities, everything is given to her, so of course she's never stressed."  I mean, this argument was fantastic, I sat there eating, watching it play out, totally entertained and feeling vindicated.  Finally SS goes to his room and starts throwing stuff and my husband screams at him to knock it off.  SS then says he's going to stay with his mom.  At that point, husband goes to SS's room, shuts the door and the arguing continues.  Then SS starts to throw ME under the bus, says how I am negative, how I cuss too much, how he hates living with us "because of all the negativity."  Admittedly, I come home and complain about my job, but who doesn't?  And also, I'm not even talking to SS when I'm talking about work, I'm talking to his dad.  Anyway, my husband didn't take the bait.  Husband tells son that he needs to go to school and how he cares about his future, blah blah blah.  Husband also tells his son how entitled he is and how everything, including his joke of a job that he got through his stepdad, is given to him, how he has never worked for what few things he has.  SS starts bawling and then my husband starts talking quieter and in the end, nothing changes.  He is now back to kissing SS's ass and the newest insult:  I'm not allowed to say anything negative or say a single cuss word in my own home.  Last night I made a funny, off-handed comment about how weird some guy's face looked on an old 80s show we were watching and my husband chastises me, "keep it down" so his son wouldn't hear the "negativity."  I'm just infuriated.  I'm so glad I'm leaving and I would love to be a fly on the wall when husband has to work a 40 hour sh*t job to continue to support his son.  His son went yesterday and dropped off an application at a local community college because his dad made him, but I know his son will either back out at the last minute, or start classes then flunk out because that is what he has done in the past.

I'm just glad I'm getting out of this situation.  It is so unhealthy, the dynamic between these two and I'm not afraid to admit that I believe I have been experiencing emotional abuse over the years. I just thought the argument was great and it made me feel good knowing that husband is p*ssed at his son and that this will likely worsen after I leave. 

I'm hoping I don't snap though and tell my husband I'm going to say what I want in my own home and if his manchild doesn't like it, he needs to leave.  Because ultimately, that's the truth.  That is not SS's home, for now, it's mine.  I pay for everything. What kind of parent allows their 21 year old dependent offspring to tell them how to act in their own home?  Who does that? 

Oh, and I also refused to pay for SS's dental work (his mama makes his appointments for him).  That p*ssed his dad off but in the end, he says, "well, he should've taken care of his teeth."  I guess SS needs about $4000 worth of dental work done.  NOT my problem.  If he comes to me about needing to pay for his classes (if he even goes), the answer will be no too.

I have more interviews scheduled through this week and the end of March.  I can't wait to get out of this situation!!!!

JRI's picture

Stay with your plan to get out.  You're definitely doing the right thing for yourself.  At least you know now that your DH sees the truth about SS whether he acts on it or not.

reedle2021's picture

Agreed!  I so wanted to tell DH last night that his son is a direct result of HIS parenting.  He never set boundaries, expectations, consequences with his son.  He never discussed a launch plan with his son or me and he has always excluded me from any parenting even though I am financially responsible.  It does make me feel better to hear him lay into his son like that but it certainly doesn't change my plan to leave. 

Thumper's picture

Doubt if DH will do much of anything. They are both using, correct? You said dh smokes weed with his son? Who does that?  There is something gross about that. 

So glad you are focused on getting out of there. Please be very careful.

I really wish you could pack up your things and leave when they are out getting high together. (barf)

reedle2021's picture

I'm sure you're right.  DH always gets pissed and rages then backpedals and a&&-kisses his son, which is exactly what's happening now.  Yeah, they get high together.  And I agree, it is gross.  They workout together, they won't workout on their own, only together.  It's gross and weird. 

I'll be out of here soon - in fact I just got a call and another interview scheduled for next week.  I'll have several job options, can choose and then I can leave.  Ohhhh I can't wait!

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Wow, what a demonstration of delusion, hypocrisy, and abuse.

What do you think set your narcissist H off in the first place? Some sort of financial pinch? Did sonny boy take some of his weed?

I love that you have a plan and know you deserve better. Also love how stealthy and strategic you're being, and that you're sharing your journey with us. You, madam, are quietly bada$$.

reedle2021's picture

Indeed, it was quite a show!

I think what set husband off was no control - he seemed absolutely furious that his son would leave for hours.  That was the underlying theme, he left and was not their to cook supper with Daddy.  I mean, I agree his son is lazy but at the same time, he's an adult and can leave the house without having to ask permission.

Thanks!  Yes, the plan is cooking and is underway.  Just need to have ducks in a row before I do it! Biggrin

reedle2021's picture

I know right?!  So creepy!  The underlying theme was that his son wasn't there to help him cook dinner....definitely more like lovers spat! 

reedle2021's picture

I'm pretty sure they are thinking I'll pay for it.  They would be incorrect in that assumption.  Smile

simifan's picture

I'm hoping I don't snap though and tell my husband I'm going to say what I want in my own home and if his manchild doesn't like it, he needs to leave.  Because ultimately, that's the truth.  That is not SS's home, for now, it's mine.  I pay for everything.

Why don't you ?

reedle2021's picture

It's coming.  I'm ready to blow.  I've rehearsed saying that very thing and that's what I will say. I'm not going to be a prisoner in my own home.  Prisoner to a 21 year old loafer who has sensitive feewings. I'm over it.

Winterglow's picture

Don't . Do not, under any circumstance, show your hand. Not until you are safely out of there. This is for your own security. 

reedle2021's picture

Right.... I didn't think about that.  I'll keep quiet about it for now.  I do need the element of surprise. 

Harry's picture

That son went out to have fun with out him.  Like a lovers fight.  Son is two timing him,   Does matter they will kiss and make up tomorrow 

reedle2021's picture

And that is exactly what it was:  his son went and did something without him.  LOL, yes, they have already kissed and maded up.  Sickening.

CLove's picture

Like you are quietly preparing to leave. "Oh gee willickers goddarn it". Or "well, husband o mine guess son is two-timing it tonight". But he sounds crazy so better to just keep doing your mighty thing and get those interviews to get those job offers.

Thanks for the update - that was highly entertaining lol. So you can be the fly on the wall right now, and use this to imagine what you are "missing out on". lol.

reedle2021's picture

Yes, I'll keep quiet.  My husband has been more physical over the past few weeks.  yesterday he got mad at me for being on my phone, so he knocked it out of my hands.  Last week he was mad at me for "pouting" after he was being rude, so he slapped my knee really hard... I was so surprised and at first thought he was joking, but he wasn't. 

It is entertaining though, to watch these two fools fight like a couple of little girls.  Entertaining and somewhat sad.

Ispofacto's picture

That's assault.  Have him arrested.  You're afraid, very very afraid.  And you should be.

reedle2021's picture

I am worried.  If he touches me again, I'll have him arrested.  He has shoved me in the past, about 2 years ago.  I guess I should've left way back then.  I thought it was an isolated incident.  I was wrong.

Ispofacto's picture

Don't mention your plan to the police.  Do mention his sharing drugs with his son.

reedle2021's picture

Yes, I'll keep the plan quiet but I will certainly mention the son's marijuana use.  Hopefully that gets him into trouble too. 

Birchclimber's picture

Your exit day can't come soon enough.  In the meantime,  stock up on popcorn and enjoy the show.  It sounds a little Quentin Tarantino-ish:  uncomfortable to watch at times but you can't look away or you'll miss something important.  Just remember to hold your tongue until you're outside of the theater. 

Keep us posted and stay alert.

Shok

reedle2021's picture

That's what I'm doing.  I'll quietly observe and execute my plan. I won't say anything until the day I leave, when movers are there so he can't do anything to me.

sandye21's picture

I can guarantee that once you tell your DH to leave or you leave him things will get nasty.  The fact that he is getting physical is a very big red flag.  Be sure you have a third party present when you tell DH he is on his own.  I was lucky that my exDH didn't do anything physical to me but he sure messed my mail up.  Please get your own PO Box and do not allow him access to it.  I'm still trying to get my mail.  The US postal inspectors are supposed to be working on it but the Government can be a bit slow.

If there was any way I could prevent women from marrying men like this I would do it.  My DH told so many lies before we got married and there were so many red flags that I shouldn't have ignored.  Then like your DH, he changed into a completely different person and used me as a financial security blanket.  These are things to watch out for BEFORE you marry him:  1. Be sure you are on equal footing financially and don't be afraid to do a background check on him.  2.  Make sure he is able to have sex and displays affection.  3.  Have deep conversations with him about his opinions, his childhood, etc.  4.  He must be able to communicate his feelings.  5.  He gets along with your family and friends.  6.  He insists his children respect you and shows them that you are his top priority.  7.  He must emotionally support you and defend you if you are verbally attacked. 

Make lists of your 'wants', 'needs' and 'negotiables'.  If this person doesn't meet this, I can tell you from experience it isn't going to improve with time.

If there was a way to create a Forum for people who are contemplating marriage to a person with children on this site it would really help.  When I married exDH I was 40 years old.  Fear of being alone, wanting to be loved, etc. had a big part in marrying the wrong person.  Then the dream of changing him into the perfect mate was so strong I simply would not give up on the marriage.  Don't be afraid to end the marriage the moment you realize something is not right.  Remember the old saying, "You will learn to love each other"?  That's a lie.  Or "Things will get better"?  They usually don't.

Chelseaman83's picture

Is what he is any wonder his Son can't move on in life,You are right he is lazy and an entitled brat but where does did he learn it from? Daddy encourages it,So Daddy gets the shits because his adult son goes out for 3 hours? Daddy gets the shits because his wifey works all week and brings home the bread ( I always thought it was the man was the breadwinner the wife stayed home maybe I'm just old fashioned lol) Be careful with your plan on leaving walking out never to come back,The most dangerous time to experience the toxic and high risks are the leaving period ,If this man is getting the shits because his adult son goes out and he's nobody to play with( smoke bongs and whatever else they do) what's it going to be like when you leave his lame ass,Narcassists hate when they lose control,He controls his son and controls you but you can see through his game,Leave the two losers to their own accord let them finally see what it's like to stand on their own two feet