You are here

adult stepson - another update

reedle2021's picture

Hello all,

I just wanted to post an update.  My last post was scary as I mentioned how my soon-to-be ex husband was getting physical.  That part has died down.  I am happy to state that I have fully disengaged from both him and his manchild.  Strangely, husband has been being super nice to me - I think he may sensed the change in my attitude.  He has no clue that I am interviewing for jobs or planning to leave.  I have another interview on Monday (a final interview - if they offer a job, I'm taking it, then I can find rental, get furniture ordered, etc).  I am not rude to husband or SS, no major behavioral changes for me, I simply stopped caring.  I already feel more free as I am not stressing over how SS21 acts or what he does or what his plan is (I know there is no plan for launching) or if I'll be getting any alone time with husband.  I don't engage at all with husband now.  I'm so ready to leave.  His niceness does nothing for me.  I'm not fooled by his behavior. 

Attorney has papers completed, will file on my word.  As there is nothing to contest, per attorney, divorce should go through without a hitch (no property, no joint accounts, no children, etc).  Husband will likely not get alimony as attorney said there's no reason why he can't work and adult SS will not be any kind of excuse for a judge to grant alimony.  I have successfully transferred my savings to my mom (this was done a while ago).  Attorney reassured me in this state that husband is very unlikely to get alimony.  However, if he wants to be a jerk, I will take him to court and drag it out for him as I have more money than he does and I can afford it.  :) 

As far as the lease, I am stuck.  The landlord will not work with me at all.  However, it will likely take 2 months for me to start a new job (credentialing, background checks, etc, for the line of work I'm in).  So that would put me at end of May, I have paid rent ahead through August, utilities are paid through October.  Worst case scenario, I fork out rent for 2 more months that would complete the lease obligation - a small price to pay for my freedom and not ruining my credit/rental history.  Also, attorney said that'll make it things less complicated and give my husband one less thing to cause problems about because the lease will naturally expire on its own and I will have to do nothing other than put utilities back in landlord's name.  If husb and loser son want to continue living there, THEY will HAVE to sign  lease in their names only AND get utilities (which will likely require huge deposits from them).  Also, if husband presses for alimony, it will look good for me having paid these two losers' living expenses through the end of the lease. I think husband's hands will be full trying to find employment and a place to live for him and manchild, so he won't have time, money or energy to fight me in court too much.  I have no clue what these two losers will do and I will admit, at first, I worried about them, like what will they do, how will they live.  But, I've been quite introspective lately, and I have replayed all the red flags that occurred early on, how I have been treated, things my husband has said to me that were mean, etc., and now I see how much I did for them, how I handed them both a nice life and they both sh*t on me.  So now?  I don't give a damn.  Not my problem.  They're adults.  They'll sink or swim, not at all my concern.  If I drive by a bridge and see them living under it, I will feel nothing (I'll be moving 6 hours away, so I won't be seeing them after I move). 

Anyway, I just wanted to update you all.  You all have been so very supportive and helpful.  I had no idea what I was experiencing in this horrible situation until I received clarity, kindness, and support from those of you who have had or are having the same issues. 

I will continue to keep you all updated.  Again, thank you to all of you who reached out and posted on my posts - you all made me feel better and did not criticize the mess I managed to get sucked into.  The red flags were there a long time ago, I just didn't see it until recently.  I needed some clarity and I got it here. 

Oh, and once I am good and gone, I'm going to put in a call to the marijuana card authority folks and let them know what hubby has been doing with his weed and who he is doing it with.  Smile

Take care! Smile

advice.only2's picture

Please be cautious, it always concerns me when they stop showing their true self and get "nice" all of a sudden.  I think I've watched too many crime documentaries, but there are two of them and one of you.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Thanks for updating us. We're all pulling for you. And you're setting a great example for other SMs who feel stuck or don't know whether to leave or stay. You rock!!

reedle2021's picture

Thank you all!  Yes, I will keep you all updated - moving day will be dicey but I plan to have movers and my brother there.  If husband acts up that day, I'll tell him he can either shut up and stay out of the way, or I'll call the sheriff and he'll risk arrest and his manbaby will be alone.  I think he'll settle down as his main worry is his manbaby - manbaby also doesn't have money to bail daddy out if he would get arrested so.... I think the sheriff threat will work just fine.  I, too, think it's weird he's being nice.  No worries, my guard is up.  I also lock my door at night when I sleep.  I prepare my own lunches and food - I don't let my husband do anything for me at this point - I know, seems paranoid, but you never know. 

:)  Is it bad I'm more excited than sad at this point??

sandye21's picture

DH is being 'nice' because he is love bombing.  Please don't let this fool you into reconsidering.  He knows something is up.  He wants you to see how 'really nice' he is, and for you to feel guilty for any negative feelings you have toward him or SS.  Now, don't you feel bad?  (Just joking!)   This is part of the reason I stayed with exDH for 30 years.  When he could see I had just about had enough and was ready to tell him to take a hike he would love bomb me or treat me nice.  Then I would get my hopes up that he had seen the light and was finally changing for good.  In a couple of weeks it was back to the same as usual.  Please keep focused.  The one thing I thought I had completely lost after my divorce was hope, but as you have realized, just thinking about your wonderful, fulfilled future and learning to love yourself will bring more hope than you could have imagined.

reedle2021's picture

You are correct.  And I now can see right through his BS.  No way will I reconsider staying.  No.  Way.  The ball is rolling so.... I won't back down.  Initially, I was scared at the prospect of leaving but now, all I see is peace and happiness.  I will remain single.  No more stepkids for me.  Done. 

CajunMom's picture

I've been thinking about you! So glad to hear your plan is working. As for the extra rent, consider the good that is coming from it and continue on!! You have a bright future!

reedle2021's picture

Thank you!  Yes, I consider the extra rent a bonus to be able to walk away clean - no nasty evictions or fighting about rent, I can hear him now, "You owe us!"  I owe you sh&t.  Nope, I'll just say I've paid rent through October and won't be resigning the lease - good luck to you adult toddlers!  LOL! 

I am so looking forward to my freedom, and I don't mean to date, I am not even remotely interested in dating because I REFUSE to date anyone now who has kids.  At my age, that means I'll be single.  But that's okay!  I look forward to the freedom to have my own time, prioritize myself, to go and do what I want (trips, visit family etc., all the things DH and SS refused to do with me).  And mostly, I look forward to putting myself FIRST and to not wasting my time, love, and money on two good-for-nothing losers who don't truly love or respect me.  I am going to be going to counseling too after I get settled, because I do have some anger and shame toward myself for allowing this situation to have happened and gone on for so long...but ultimately, I'm excited and looking forward to my new life - my new life that will be all about ME.  Smile

I'll keep posting updates until I'm completely free.  Smile

reedle2021's picture

Thanks!  Me too, I just hate that I waited so long.  I should have kicked them both to the curb years ago. 

DPW's picture

If there's someone I'm rooting for, it's you doll! I'm so pleased to hear this update and this confidence oozing out of you. You rock it! A great role model to others!

reedle2021's picture

Thank you!  I'm pressing forward, not going to stop now.  I only hope I can be a role model to others.  And I hope others read my story and learn from it.  I wish I had been on this site years ago and I would've seen the light sooner, but I kept believing my DH when he told me that I'm selfish.  I ignored that little feeling in my gut, that voice in my head that told me "this isn't normal" when it came to SS and his dad's coddling. 

I'm planning trips and things to do for later this year - my husband refused to ever travel or do anything with me because he won't leave his son and his cat.  I'm SO ready to remove all this dead weight.  Smile