You are here

household chores and other contributions

Alonza78's picture

A couple of months ago my DH made a unilateral decision and my adult stepson moved into our home. My DH gets very defensive when I want to talk about how best that all three of us can live together.  Lately, we've been on very different schedules and I've been traveling a lot for work. They both have a habit of cooking and leaving dirty pans and dishes out all night. They leave for work the following morning without tending to their mess. Many times I've come home late because of work and dishes and pans are still out. 

Because of my schedule, I've been eating out a lot.  I just don't think it is my responsibility to clean up after two adults when I get home - especially when my DH does not want to discuss how we share space. 

My stepson is also living with us rent free with the assumption that he will be saving money to put a down payment on a house next year. I think that if there is no monetary contribution to household expenses, then he should at least take care of his mess immediately.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you handle dealing with a husband who doesn't want to communicate and feels their adult bio child can just do whatever.

tog redux's picture

What's up with these men who think they don't have to discuss anything with their wives? I'd only put up with that for so long. He doesn't have the right to unilaterally move his son in the home and then refuse to discuss your feelings about it.

Rags's picture

His unilateral decision to move SS in should have motivated  your unilateral decision to rekey the locks and to give neither of them a key. 

Quid pro quo.

still learning's picture

I've been in this situation and there's no easy solution, once skid is moved back in there's no way to do a skidult abortion without putting your marriage in jeopardy too.  Like Murphy suggested, hiring a cleaning service for the slobs, billed to DH may be the best option at the moment unless you're ready for this to be your hill to die on.  

Thank goodness you're traveling a lot and eating out. Leave those two neanderthals to their pig sty.